Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Keep the change? Don't mind if we do!

Keep the change? Don't mind if we do!

Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keep the change? Don't mind if we do!

another ryanair topic

In todays daily mail a story from the trianing manual for ryanair. Cabin staff are encouraged to tell passengers they have run out of change when they purchase from the trolleys. In doing so they can help to boost ryanair profits.

Underhanded but again 10 out of 10 for ingenuity
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keep the change? Don't mind if we do!

Well I no longer use Ryanair, but I have to say I admire Mr O'Leary.
Despite (or because of) all the stories that arise, people still travel with Ryanair and they make money.
He must know that millions will react with glee if they ever go under financially - but I have a hunch that isn't going to happen.
Quite a businessman - even if, like myself, you don't like the product.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
another ryanair topic

In todays daily mail a story from the trianing manual for ryanair. Cabin staff are encouraged to tell passengers they have run out of change when they purchase from the trolleys. In doing so they can help to boost ryanair profits.

Underhanded but again 10 out of 10 for ingenuity
Well I can't give you 10 out of 10 as I only have 4 I tell you what, how about I flip you for it, double or nothing Oh! bad call sir, heads again, now what about your shirt sir?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I remember going into shops in Italy and being given sweets in lieu of change - I thought that was a rip-off and this is worse. Providing a no frills service for a low price is fine, but cynical and deliberate contempt for customers is not.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the United States. I have been to several restaurants where the waiter did not return with the change. He clearly had other ideas and got extremely stroppy when I demanded it, bearing in mind the gratuity was already included the bill. I doubt the story has much truth or rather I want to believe it doesn't.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

That has happened to us on the last three flights with Mad Mick. Once we forgot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...customers.html

Last edited by olivefarmer; Aug 10th 2013 at 5:52 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I won't get ripped of with that on any airline I simply never buy anything on an airline.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Cabin staff are encouraged to tell passengers they have run out of change when they purchase from the trolleys.
What I don't understand is why so many people can't go a few hours (most UK flights to Spain are only a few hours) without having to stuff food down their necks, just because someone goes past offering it.

Even if people can't go that short time without snacking, surely a little foresight and planning while waiting for the flight would get them something better and cheaper from the wider range available in departure - or is impulse control so lacking that that's already gone by the time the plane lets them on board?

Last edited by pete_l; Aug 12th 2013 at 2:25 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:46 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Years ago I remember going into shops in Italy and being given sweets in lieu of change...
This was because of Italy's inflation, when they actually ran out of small coins. The sweets you got, were, in effect, more valuable than the rusty washers you would have got in change.

When you are in a tourist area, take the time to count out the exact change at the check-out, instead of just handing out a 50 note. Shops run out very fast of change that way. Watch the smile on the faces of the check-out girls who don't have to shout across the shop for change. I forget the number of times I have been called 'caballero' for divi-ing up to the last centimo in shrapnel.

I work on a rule that if the last bit of the bill comes to less than 50 cents, I will hunt out the change; more, it's their problem.

Bugger the queue.

Last edited by notacontrathinker; Aug 12th 2013 at 4:09 pm. Reason: You can't proof-read these things too many times.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Nice attitude!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
This was because of Italy's inflation, when they actually ran out of small coins. The sweets you got, were, in effect, more valuable than the rusty washers you would have got in change.

When you are in a tourist area, take the time to count out the exact change at the check-out, instead of just handing out a 50 note. Shops run out very fast of change that way. Watch the smile on the faces of the check-out girls who don't have to shout across the shop for change. I forget the number of times I have been called 'caballero' for divi-ing up to the last centimo in shrapnel.

I work on a rule that if the last bit of the bill comes to less than 50 cents, I will hunt out the change; more, it's their problem.

Bugger the queue.
I usually just hold out a handful of shrapnel under the cashiers nose and let them sort it, they can normally do it in the time it takes me to think about it.

I tried to get rid of a pocketful at the automatic tollgate checkouts on the motorway.

Chucked a whacking great handful in for the machine to count and the damned thing promptly spit it all back out again.

Seems like they're not all that keen on coppers.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
What I don't understand is why so many people can't go a few hours (most UK flights to Spain are only a few hours) without having to stuff food down their necks, just because someone goes past offering it.

Even if people can't go that short time without snacking,
surely a little foresight and planning while waiting for the flight would get them something better and cheaper from the wider range available in departure - or is impulse control so lacking that that's already gone by the time the plane lets them on board?
Personally I don't buy any food on a flight but bring my own suitable sustenance. However thanks to terrorists we are no longer able to bring a drink. For me it is very convenient to have a drink on the flight. Hence I have to purchase. You could go without but why further dehydrate your body?

Personally I would encourage people to buy stuff on the flight. It increases profitability and keeps my flight prices down. The last Ryanair flight I went on, I had the pleasure (?) of sitting next to two young women. One spent most of the flight crouching on the seat except when seat belt signs were on. When they weren't viewing holiday snaps on a portable viewer they were playing games on something like a DS3 or stuffing their faces.Just some of the items bought were chips (will take 20 minutes actually arrived 43 minutes after order), crisps, a tin each of Pringles, chocolate, two bottles of pop each . Their bill was more than my return flight.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Ryanair pilots nervous about security

http://economia.elpais.com/economia/...31_414005.html

The above is in spanish but it refers to an article in the FT here
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Ryanair pilots nervous about security

http://economia.elpais.com/economia/...31_414005.html

The above is in spanish but it refers to an article in the FT here
The TV programme was mentioned in the other RA thread where it mentioned the concern of so many pilots (94% of 1,000 pilots). I thought that might have been a cause for concern, but DD has put my mind at rest, it's only those with "axe to grind or a bee in their bonnet". That's a lot of axes to grind, sounds like a very happy team at RA. True, they haven't lost any aircraft yet, but they have come close through literally cutting corners (pull up, pull up!!!!) and according to this site, over 1,200 incidents of either security or passenger problems within a few months. Includes a million plus euro fine which they still haven't paid yet. Probably just the Dutch, the Germans, the Spanish etc with an axe to grind, nothing to worry about.
http://laverdadderyanair.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:17 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
The TV programme was mentioned in the other RA thread where it mentioned the concern of so many pilots (94% of 1,000 pilots). I thought that might have been a cause for concern, but DD has put my mind at rest, it's only those with "axe to grind or a bee in their bonnet". That's a lot of axes to grind, sounds like a very happy team at RA. True, they haven't lost any aircraft yet, but they have come close through literally cutting corners (pull up, pull up!!!!) and according to this site, over 1,200 incidents of either security or passenger problems within a few months. Includes a million plus euro fine which they still haven't paid yet. Probably just the Dutch, the Germans, the Spanish etc with an axe to grind, nothing to worry about.
http://laverdadderyanair.blogspot.co.uk/
Common Ag, pull up, pull up,

I never quite saw you as such a drama queen before. so I'm quite surprised to see you swallow all this scaremongering nonsense.

Numerous so called incidents occur all the time on all airlines.
In most cases passengers are totally unaware of them and never even get to hear about them.

If a serious cause for concern exists with RA, please explain to me why the main organisations set up to deal with such situations have not had cause to take any action ???

The UK Civil Aviation authority is rated as one of the best, if not the best and strictest in the world, by pilots and virtually all others involved in the Aviation industry.

If you follow the news you will be aware that they took some drastic action only a short while ago with regard to concerns about a certain type of airliner.

In addition Eu aviation safety as a whole is overlooked by their own also very strict, European Safety Authority.

Both of the above authorities have ongoing bans against certain airlines from even operating over the UK or Europe as a whole.

I follow the professional pilots discussion forum quite a lot and there are always fresh incidents coming to light on which they air their views and concerns.

RA warrants little mention by comparison and the general consensus seems to be much as I described.

So pardon me if I prefer to take note of expert advice rather than the pathetic scaremongering campaign by those who so obviously have an axe to grind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.