Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just told work im emmergrating!

Just told work im emmergrating!

Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:21 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just told work im emmergrating!

Well thats it now.. Im no longer taking steps towards the end of the bank and im now on the first stepping stone towards my new life in Spain. Ooh its very very scary now because today i told work that im emmergrating. Owch that was ugly. It was particularly hard becauase I the only person who does the I.T for this company and I started only 3 months ago and ive already done a lot in getting a stable IT Support up and running and moving away from external support. So its a bit of a blow for the company i work for. I told them id help recruit someone else who was just like me. They're worried coz the guy they had before me was a bit of a numpty. Urgh that wasnt easy to do, and i feel kinda bad. But i do have to remember its only a job and im not forced to work here, i can quit when i like.

Im speaking to my accountant this weekend and will find out when im getting my money through so i can do the move. I may even get a cheque this saturday, in which case my written notice will be in on Mondayy. eek its all scary now hehe. And ill be off to the sunny shores on April 23rd probably.

Have only told select friends and my older brother, havnt told parents yet, and the other half hasnt told her parents yet that im going. If you remember on my previous threads i caught her doing naughty things with people on the internet using the webcam and we almost broke up over it. Now im off to spain on my own for a couple of months and she and the baby will follow me out. Its her last chance to save our relationship, if she doesnt come then fine but i knew we'd just break up if i stayed at home, becaus enow ive researched spain, i really really want to do it and cant be happy at home anymore without at least trying.

I know its risky, i know some would say its stupid, throwing in a £20k a year I.T job. I could end up serving cerbezas for the next 6 months on 3€ an hour, but right now i dont care. Id welcome the break from I.T im sick of it!

Amazing to think that come end of april and i'll have moved from the UK!

Ill keep you posted!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just told work im emmergrating!

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Well thats it now.. Im no longer taking steps towards the end of the bank and im now on the first stepping stone towards my new life in Spain. Ooh its very very scary now because today i told work that im emmergrating. Owch that was ugly. It was particularly hard becauase I the only person who does the I.T for this company and I started only 3 months ago and ive already done a lot in getting a stable IT Support up and running and moving away from external support. So its a bit of a blow for the company i work for. I told them id help recruit someone else who was just like me. They're worried coz the guy they had before me was a bit of a numpty. Urgh that wasnt easy to do, and i feel kinda bad. But i do have to remember its only a job and im not forced to work here, i can quit when i like.

Im speaking to my accountant this weekend and will find out when im getting my money through so i can do the move. I may even get a cheque this saturday, in which case my written notice will be in on Mondayy. eek its all scary now hehe. And ill be off to the sunny shores on April 23rd probably.

Have only told select friends and my older brother, havnt told parents yet, and the other half hasnt told her parents yet that im going. If you remember on my previous threads i caught her doing naughty things with people on the internet using the webcam and we almost broke up over it. Now im off to spain on my own for a couple of months and she and the baby will follow me out. Its her last chance to save our relationship, if she doesnt come then fine but i knew we'd just break up if i stayed at home, becaus enow ive researched spain, i really really want to do it and cant be happy at home anymore without at least trying.

I know its risky, i know some would say its stupid, throwing in a £20k a year I.T job. I could end up serving cerbezas for the next 6 months on 3€ an hour, but right now i dont care. Id welcome the break from I.T im sick of it!

Ill keep you posted!
Good luck to you
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:16 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

At least working in a bar you will get to meet people and you should get at least 5 euros per hour, that is what my daughter gets for waiting on in a bar/restaurant.

Good luck to you and I sincerely hope it works out for you and your girlfriend. Wish we had done this when we were young, it may not have been so scary - you will be ok, you have your youth and seem determined enough to make a go of it so you will be back doing the type of work you enjoy before long. Get cracking on the Spanish lessons and you will be speaking the language before your girlfriend gets over

You had better keep in touch and let us know how you get on - ok!

P.s. 23rd April is St. Georges Day.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi onlineamiga

There I was think you were female with the "a" on the end of amiga, but best of luck we love it out here. Let us all know how you get on.

pwwm
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:16 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Hi , good luck, have you anywhere in mind on Costa del sol. Hope it works out for you. As for work, I am sure you feel guilty but would the company feel guilty if they replaced you! probably not.
take care
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:42 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Ill keep you posted!
nice one. and make sure you do keep us informed how your getting on and that your eating ok ! and not in with the wrong crowd and not been talking to strangers ! or we will all be worried sick ,
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi onlineamiga

There I was think you were female with the "a" on the end of amiga,pwwm

Thats something to do with Amiga computers iirc.

Anyway good luck to you
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:24 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your warm words.
Sadly ill have to talk to strangers as i wont know anyone down there at all so will be speaking to strangers every day. it will be part of life. But as they say, even a friend was a stranger. So its not all bad.

I will definatley be frequenting this forum during the whole time and im gonna be posting videos on you tube of the whole event! yes i bought a video camera to record a video diary of it all. Yes im a bit sad but ah well. hehe.

You are correct that onlineamiga is from the days of the amiga. I used to be online on my amiga computer and thats where the name came from. I should have used my other name "boom" on here knowing the spanish connection with amigo. Perhaps ill rename to onlineamigo

So the ball is rolling, whats left to do is: Sort out money and once i know when thast coming, book ferry, book car in for service, tell family, work my moths notice and then im off.

Quite amusing im probably going on St Georges day hehehe
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:26 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Good luck with it, you will love it here and if you get stuck dont hesitate to get in contact - Im in Marbella. Drive carefully
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:33 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

So the ball is rolling, whats left to do is: Sort out money and once i know when thast coming, book ferry, book car in for service, tell family, work my moths notice and then im off.
Well done you. Don't forget your E106!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:11 pm
In Estepona

Thanks rixxy for that offer, you never know i might hehe I wont know anyone when im down there!

Last edited by onlineamiga; Mar 14th 2007 at 10:20 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks rixxy for that offer, you never know i might hehe I wont know anyone when im down there!
An E106 covers your medical needs for a couple of years or until you join the Spanish system. I think you apply at the job centre plus or what ever its called now.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Ill keep you posted!
Congrats, of a kind.

The OH and I have just spant the evening with 6 Argentines and she is all Spanished out!

I'm glad you are actually going, with or without the baggage and I just know that with the help of all (almost anyway) the lovely people on this forum, your welcome in Spain will be warm.

Buen Viaje!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:32 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Just told work im emmergrating!

Bet there were a few raised eybrows at work when you told them onlineamiga! Good luck, hope the move goes smoothly, and have a safe trip.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:59 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

i know some would say its stupid, throwing in a £20k a year I.T job. I could end up serving cerbezas for the next 6 months on 3€ an hour, but right now i dont care. Id welcome the break from I.T im sick of it!
Well I have not long worked my notice period and am now officially unemployed IT, having been innit is bloody hard work and results in bags of high pressure and quite frankly aint worth the money especially the salary you were on. I left IT a while ago (5 years) and have just finshed a 25k a year admin job so that tells you something about IT salarys. It aint all gloss for those who think its where the money is at. Really, the best of luck to you mate I reckon you will be fine wherever you go given the obvious drive and determination you have so no worries