British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Just moaning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/just-moaning-916929/)

minouette Sep 5th 2018 5:40 am

Just moaning

My daughter and son-in-law bought a new built townhouse about a year ago. It's a nice development of about 40 houses and apartments, with 2 swimming pools and private access.
For whatever reason, all the neighbours seem to be Scandinavians, most of them not leaving here permanently and those who do being retired.
Over this summer I started thinking that either they or we are mad, so, I'm appealing to the forum for a "diagnostic" :) Here is in summary what's going on:
- You are not allowed to have an awing of any colour except what it was put as an extra when the houses were built. They are a very pale yellow, which can't be found in LeroyMerlin and would cost about 3,000 as they are remote controlled. My daughter put blue and white striped from Leroy and now they are threatened with court proceedings.
- They have dog which is not allowed to bark before 8 am. He does however bark outside permitted hours when people pass their house :) Note that in the last year there were 2 break-ins and the police didn't catch anybody.
- One of the swimming pools is just outside their house. The children, aged 3 and 5, spend most of the afternoons there and very good little swimmers they are already. Here is the episode from last Friday: one young couple laying in the sun close to the shallow end, me in the pool at the shallow end, the kids jumping in and showing me their swimming skills (the little one with arm bands on). The young lady (from the couple) asked me to tell the kids to jump somewhere else, as they are splashing her. I suggested she moves as it's not safe for the kids at the deep end (or for me for that matter, as I'm not a strong swimmer). She didn't like my suggestion :) Note there was nobody else in the entire place.
I've been to the residents meeting in July, when my daughter was on holiday, when they discussed also the "rules" my daughter is breaking: the awing and having a brick bbq (bought also from LeroyMerlin) - apparently you are only allowed electric or gas and nothing built, only removable. I will tell you what I had to say to them later, after your diagnostic :)

BEVS Sep 5th 2018 6:27 am

Re: Just moaning

Ums. I'm not sure what the issue is here.

They bought a house on a development which has rules and regs. This is not unusual anywhere with developments.

If one doesn't adhere to the rules , then there will be complaints and requests to comply .

As regards the swimming pool. It can be annoying to be an adult at a pool where kids are splashing and jumping in. Pools often come with a ban on jumping in , especially where there is no guard or safety equipment as it can lead to accidents. Depends on what the rules are for the swimming pool use really.
For those adults wanting to use the shallow end because they are not strong or confident swimmers , having kids jump in and out curtails the use of the pool and is off-putting

Was this a shallow pool specifically for children?

Does the development plan specifically state the pool(s) are for family use?

mikelincs Sep 5th 2018 6:48 am

When we lived on an urbanisation in Spain there were strict rules, we asked the vice president, there were a few, one for each language group, what we needed to do for any alterations, bearing in mind that we were aware of the rules that anything that changed to outside appearance HAD to be dome through them, We had several done, each time after permission, and one time our alterations were challenged at a meeting, but they complainant was told that everything had been done legally. Some of the rules do sound/are petty, but they are usually made to harmonise the appearance of the urbanisation, they should have found out the rules first, or have been given a copy of the rules, which we were.

NABman Sep 5th 2018 6:50 am

My wife and I live on an urbanisation with well documented rules and requirements down to colour of window and door frames, any permanent external construction requires committee approval before starting, no towels or washing draped in public view. Some might consider it a bit restrictive but we knew what we were buying into before we purchased.

As far as I can see any property in a "community" will have various restrictions, for total flexibility to do what you want, how you want and when you want buying in a Campo area is the probably the only option.

spainrico Sep 5th 2018 7:02 am

It is perfectly normal to have one standard colour of window blinds/awnings (toldos) across all properties in a community.

You are legally obligated to follow community rules once they have been accepted after the due processes followed. There are laws in Spain which cover the setting up and running etc of communities.

minouette Sep 5th 2018 7:17 am

Interesting feedback, thank you.
In principle I agree with what was said. However, in the case of the specifics I gave there is a tendency for rules before reasonability, I think.
Is it reasonable to ask 2 young kids to move to the deep end, rather than you, an adult, moving your towel 1 meter away, when there is nobody else in the entire pool, to avoid splashing?
Is it reasonable to threaten legal proceedings because a cheaper awing was installed instead of the one and only "approved" option costing 3000 euros?
I think not. But as I said, I may be mad, and all is well in the totalitarian urbanisation regime ...

p.s. Many owners have decided to enclose their underground parking space and built storage facilities. This left other owners with no possibility of parking their cars unless they take the risk of scratching them. No permission requested/granted. I found it interesting at the July meeting when the managing agent advised that there is nothing that can be done, as the court proceedings "will take years". On the other hand, they are willing to pursue awnings and bbqs. Madness or what?
Maybe it's me, but I don't think these petty discussions would happen if the majority of owners were brits.

spainrico Sep 5th 2018 7:24 am

I thought the enclosing of underground car parking spaces was now totally illegal (ie not a community decision) as it could potentially be used to store explosive/dangerous substances and thus a terrorist risk. But maybe it was only a regional law.

1sexsmith Sep 5th 2018 9:26 am

Well I understand your frustrations however some of the rules are fairly common here in Spain and for Scandinavians community rules are something they are very used to in their culture. The awnings is always a rule that is followed in Spain. They always are the same style and colour and I am afraid you will need to remove and replace yours. You would even need to do that if you wanted to sell the place I think. The dog is a bit of a grey area. Everyone has a story to tell about barking dogs here. Of course a dog probably barks more when you are absent so it might not be such a big thing for the owner but hell for the neighbours. Not sure they can do a lot about it but if the dog is barking during the siesta or late at night then they might contact the police. 8.00 curfew sounds Scandanavian to me not Spanish!!. Swimming pool: well children and adults don't mix and there are always arguments.

All in all I would say your problems are not unusual but the larger the community the more they seem grow. Small communities usually bond better as friends and therefore people probably are more courteous and willing to talk things through than resorting to formal procedures.

missile Sep 5th 2018 9:39 am

I would suggest your daughter abides by the rules or moves :-)

Johncarzx Sep 5th 2018 10:12 am

Rules can be changed or abandoned altogether. You will need to make an application to do so and it may come to a vote. Some residents may object to your proposals to turn the development into a Shanty Town and ban kids from using the pools.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...85f40e7235.jpg

Minoutte lives here

Loafing Along Sep 5th 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by minouette (Post 12558778)
Interesting feedback, thank you.
In principle I agree with what was said. However, in the case of the specifics I gave there is a tendency for rules before reasonability, I think.
Is it reasonable to ask 2 young kids to move to the deep end, rather than you, an adult, moving your towel 1 meter away, when there is nobody else in the entire pool, to avoid splashing?
Is it reasonable to threaten legal proceedings because a cheaper awing was installed instead of the one and only "approved" option costing 3000 euros?
I think not. But as I said, I may be mad, and all is well in the totalitarian urbanisation regime ...

p.s. Many owners have decided to enclose their underground parking space and built storage facilities. This left other owners with no possibility of parking their cars unless they take the risk of scratching them. No permission requested/granted. I found it interesting at the July meeting when the managing agent advised that there is nothing that can be done, as the court proceedings "will take years". On the other hand, they are willing to pursue awnings and bbqs. Madness or what?
Maybe it's me, but I don't think these petty discussions would happen if the majority of owners were brits.

Yes they do !

Fredbargate Sep 5th 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by minouette (Post 12558745)
- You are not allowed to have an awing of any colour except what it was put as an extra when the houses were built. They are a very pale yellow, which can't be found in LeroyMerlin and would cost about 3,000 as they are remote controlled. My daughter put blue and white striped from Leroy and now they are threatened with court proceedings.

€3000????

https://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/f...=false&ord=asc

dougal03 Sep 5th 2018 12:27 pm

I live in a town often called "little Norway" due to the huge population of Scandinavians.I came when they were just arriving,early retired from working on North sea oil rigs.Have watched their families growing up & usually find they are well organised & sensible.In fact I think our town has gained all the fantastic amenities we all enjoy due to their requests(& of course they always pay their taxes)Perhaps your relatives should relocate to a different area where,as you have stated,they would be better off amongst"a majority of British owners"

Johncarzx Sep 5th 2018 12:40 pm

Wey aye the op sounds fair racist, perhaps blackpyeul or butlins wud be mare their cup iv tea.

lurchio Sep 5th 2018 6:59 pm

Ever heard the saying 'terms and conditions apply?' If it's written in those, who is anybody to just go and do their own thing afterwards? Do you think that's fair on the other residents?
Sell up , get a big place on the Campo with a pool, enjoy!