Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just had my residency turned down

Just had my residency turned down

Old Jan 28th 2021, 11:13 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just had my residency turned down

We know that
Old Jan 28th 2021, 12:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
We know that

But not everyone does which is proved by how many people ask about residency on here and other sites.

Rosemary
Old Jan 28th 2021, 12:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It would be good idea for newbies read previous posts before asking. :-)
Old Jan 28th 2021, 1:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

They have never done it in the past, so why start now!
Old Jan 28th 2021, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I am afraid it is going to be a bit like that. The rules are guidelines for the officer who will be trying to assess your application. Whatever you do dont try and do it in English. Pay someone who is Spanish and local ( they will know people) to see if the decision can be reversed. Unfortunately there will be a line in the sand and that could well be that they simply wont accept such a late application as it doesnt prove you were properly living here before 31st. I would imagine you will get it but you need to go with the flow on the ground and not official procedures.
The paperwork for the residency process states that you didn't need to be in Spain when you put your application in.

Only that you can prove you have been living here before the 31st December. Although with the travel restrictions now its going to be near on impossible for someone to get back over here if thats what they did.

Alicante would not process any application before you had been in the country and living for around 3 months (ours went in just before)
They required 3 months of stamped and signed bank statements (receipts don't count, you could get them from anywhere)
And we had to show 9000 euro in the bank (we applied separately as we would never have been able to get a copy of our wedding cert translated and apostled in time)

Also Ive looked at my Padron and it only has 1 date on it (the date we went to the town hall and it was produced) It doesn't have a run out date (but again Alicante wanted one dated within 3 months of the application.)

I think the OP may need to wait a month or so, build up day to day transactions, keep written proof of arrival here before 31st Dec and try again.

And to anyone waiting for the finger print appointment at Alicante. Dream on. Our solicitor reckons there are few appointments being offered at the moment.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 1:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
The paperwork for the residency process states that you didn't need to be in Spain when you put your application in.

Only that you can prove you have been living here before the 31st December. Although with the travel restrictions now its going to be near on impossible for someone to get back over here if thats what they did.

Alicante would not process any application before you had been in the country and living for around 3 months (ours went in just before)
They required 3 months of stamped and signed bank statements (receipts don't count, you could get them from anywhere)
And we had to show 9000 euro in the bank (we applied separately as we would never have been able to get a copy of our wedding cert translated and apostled in time)

Also Ive looked at my Padron and it only has 1 date on it (the date we went to the town hall and it was produced) It doesn't have a run out date (but again Alicante wanted one dated within 3 months of the application.)

I think the OP may need to wait a month or so, build up day to day transactions, keep written proof of arrival here before 31st Dec and try again.

And to anyone waiting for the finger print appointment at Alicante. Dream on. Our solicitor reckons there are few appointments being offered at the moment.
Just about every transaction that occurs needs the padron certificate to be no more than three months old. I have only ever renewed mine when needing to deal with official stuff. Gained my padron in 2006, renewed in 2012 when my husband died, renewed when I bought a new car 2014 and not since.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Old Jan 28th 2021, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Just about every transaction that occurs needs the padron certificate to be no more than three months old. I have only ever renewed mine when needing to deal with official stuff. Gained my padron in 2006, renewed in 2012 when my husband died, renewed when I bought a new car 2014 and not since.

Rosemary

Rosemary
But you don't need the Padron to buy a car. I purchased ours in late 2019 as we were still using the flat as a holiday home. Didn't go on the padron till sept 2020.
Used the Suma bill and the deeds to the flat.

What you need is 'proof of address' and I agree the padron is one of the easiest ways to do so. (although not due to the fact you have to keep going back to get another print out (I know you can do it online)
Old Jan 28th 2021, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
It would be good idea for newbies read previous posts before asking. :-)
There wouldn't be much on here if they all did
Old Jan 28th 2021, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Barriej
But you don't need the Padron to buy a car. I purchased ours in late 2019 as we were still using the flat as a holiday home. Didn't go on the padron till sept 2020.
Used the Suma bill and the deeds to the flat.

What you need is 'proof of address' and I agree the padron is one of the easiest ways to do so. (although not due to the fact you have to keep going back to get another print out (I know you can do it online)
Some dealerships insist on a current padron from residents.

Rosemary
Old Jan 28th 2021, 9:06 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Some dealerships insist on a current padron from residents.

Rosemary
I have purchased cars from two different dealerships and both insisted on an up to date Padron.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 9:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That has happened to me 4 times. Actually, I think it is the gestors that the dealers use to register the car that insist on it.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 10:36 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a residency card, as EU citizens don't, then you have to show a passport (or own-country ID card) + one of rent contract, title deeds or padrón to prove residency.

But from now on British citizens with residency have to show TIE + one of three documents, a Spanish driving licence would probably be the most insisted upon by dealerships.

https://www.boe.es/eli/es/rd/1998/12...2/con/20201111

Si el solicitante es extranjero deberá presentar Tarjeta de Residencia, así como declaración sobre titularidad de otros vehículos matriculados en España, o permiso de conducción español del que sea o hubiera sido titular, o el número de registro provincial de conductores extranjeros, si los tuviera.

En el supuesto de extranjeros que no tengan Tarjeta de Residencia, presentarán documento de identidad del país de origen, si se trata de ciudadanos de Estados parte en el Acuerdo sobre el Espacio Económico Europeo (EEE), o Pasaporte o Certificado de Nacionalidad si se trata de ciudadanos de terceros países, y además justificarán su domicilio en España mediante cualquier documento que así lo acredite, tales como la propiedad o alquiler de una vivienda, o estar censado en algún Municipio.

Last edited by DLC; Jan 28th 2021 at 10:38 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Silk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
The rules say 'living in Spain' before the deadline so it might not be completely out with reason if applications from people who had scraped in by first arriving on Spanish soil literally days before the 31st. deadline might come under closer scrutiny.

I'm confused though as for the initial EX-20 you don't need a padron, were you perhaps trying to be 'helpful' by submitting whatever it was you had which said that you were 'in the system'?
Very good point. My Gestor stated I should provide her with as much evidence as possible and she went on about the Padron. I said I didn't think it wasn't specifically required for application I thought you had up to 90 days from moving into a new area to apply and, if she required it, she should have mentioned it back in mid December when I first contacted her and she agreed to provide her service. So I duly went and registered and provided it as a stamped copy of our application as there is a months delay in getting the Padron at the moment. This obviously shot us in the foot as I have plenty of proof of living here since arriving on the 15th December.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will need to find something that is definitely official they will accept. Bank accounts wont be enough nor rental agreements as they dont prove you were living in Spain as permanent home. Electricity and water bills or contracts with your name are often used in Spain by the tax authorities when tracing up people who claim to be non residents so I would start with them first.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Silk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I think you will need to find something that is definitely official they will accept. Bank accounts wont be enough nor rental agreements as they dont prove you were living in Spain as permanent home. Electricity and water bills or contracts with your name are often used in Spain by the tax authorities when tracing up people who claim to be non residents so I would start with them first.
Well all I have in that regard is my health insurance policy. Will see what my attorney says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.