Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The JOKE killed someone..

The JOKE killed someone..

Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:54 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The JOKE killed someone..

If the radio station rang 5 times , why did no one answer the phone..
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

An unfortunate set of circumstances.

An unforseeable chain of events.

Everyone who takes a car on the road is at the risk of killing someone else every single day, quite possibly through no fault of their own.

Just like those DJs we don't mean to cause anyone any serious harm.

Best we all avoid such stupid, wreckless risks and simply stay at home every day.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 7:43 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
An unfortunate set of circumstances.

An unforseeable chain of events.

Everyone who takes a car on the road is at the risk of killing someone else every single day, quite possibly through no fault of their own.

Just like those DJs we don't mean to cause anyone any serious harm.

Best we all avoid such stupid, wreckless risks and simply stay at home every day.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I can't see where you are coming from I'm afraid.
Just that some people complain when things they find funny - racist or sexist jokes for example - are banned because they are politically incorrect, and the "PC Brigade" are regarded as a bunch of humourless idiots who can't see that it's just a bit of harmless fun.

Now suddenly the same people are calling for hoax phone calls to be banned, which can also be very funny, because one of them had unfortunate consequences.

Can't anyone else see the irony?
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:19 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Just that some people complain when things they find funny - racist or sexist jokes for example - are banned because they are politically incorrect, and the "PC Brigade" are regarded as a bunch of humourless idiots who can't see that it's just a bit of harmless fun.

Now suddenly the same people are calling for hoax phone calls to be banned, which can also be very funny, because one of them had unfortunate consequences.

I love Irony.

Due to pressure from the Green party following the Fukoshima disaster, Germany decided to close all nuke plants as of 2020, relying on coal, oil, and gas from Russia to produce electricity for the foreseeable future.

Now that's a rationally green decision.

That irony is evident, but it gets better: The Fukoshima incident was the result of irresponsible construction of a nuke plant on top of a major fault known to produce massive earthquakes. Germany isn't sitting on major continental faultlines, and German Nuke plants are rated amongst the safest on the planet.

Meanwhile, I reckon the French will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:44 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

theres nowt as queer as folk

`
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
If the radio station rang 5 times , why did no one answer the phone..

I read it as the radio station called 5 times in order to speak to someone in authority but was told that no-one was available to take the calls.

i.e. The phone was answered but call not put through to anyone.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Domino
the discussion between partners may fall under the Data Protection Act, but I am not so sure it has been tested in a court of law. The larger problem is that certain medical records are kept for 40 years and that gives one hell of a chance for someone to see something, but also in the past 20-30 years how many times has the NHS changed its record keeping systems ! !
I am not so sure the information is security locked in a similar manner to that of a police officer carrying out a PNC check - but those with the desire, the will and a little bit of knowhow have been able to break that as well.
But the DPA is an Act of Parliament and all who come into contact with such information are not required to sign their acceptance - they have to obey the law, even when they don't know about it. (Ignorance of the law is no defence). But the onus is on the Data Holder to ensure the information that is stored is timely, correct, necessary and safely stored.

financial or sales sensitive information could lead to a potential signing of a non-disclosure agreement, but then every year Directors who should know better are barred from holding directorships for divulging such sensitive information or misusing it for their own ends. Additionally, salesmen have been successfully prosecuted for divulging information.

the only document I have ever signed that is fully enforceable in law is the Official Secrets Act, but then you would hope that would be the case.

considering how hard it was to get information on my dying father over the telephone I am surprised that anyone got a single word out of nurses.

Ok thats all true but the DPA covers information that has been recorded on a computer database. You could still be privy to information that has only been passed by word of mouth or on bits of paper. (as in my case)
As for the NHS record keeping systems, I could bore for Britain because as far as I experienced there is no standard system. However my experience is from Scotland and the NHS there is under separate management from England and Wales. I thought they had tried to get a standard system going but gave up after years of expense and no results.
However I can't resist a story:
The Drs I worked for kept computer records and paper files on each patient. The paper files were kept with the most recent record on the top so when you opened the file you saw the most recent entry first. Test results were kept in a separate part at the back of the file. We had one family who spent 6 months in our village and the other half of the year elsewhere in Scotland. Every time they moved we sent their files to the other Practice who took them apart and put them back together because they kept their files in date order with the test results amongst the other stuff. 6 months later when we got them back we would take them apart and rearrange them and add all the new entries to our database because we used a different computer system than the other practice and there was no way of transferring date electronically.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

Ok see your point now! yes you have a valid point.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Ok thats all true but the DPA covers information that has been recorded on a computer database. You could still be privy to information that has only been passed by word of mouth or on bits of paper. (as in my case)
As for the NHS record keeping systems, I could bore for Britain because as far as I experienced there is no standard system. However my experience is from Scotland and the NHS there is under separate management from England and Wales. I thought they had tried to get a standard system going but gave up after years of expense and no results.
However I can't resist a story:
The Drs I worked for kept computer records and paper files on each patient. The paper files were kept with the most recent record on the top so when you opened the file you saw the most recent entry first. Test results were kept in a separate part at the back of the file. We had one family who spent 6 months in our village and the other half of the year elsewhere in Scotland. Every time they moved we sent their files to the other Practice who took them apart and put them back together because they kept their files in date order with the test results amongst the other stuff. 6 months later when we got them back we would take them apart and rearrange them and add all the new entries to our database because we used a different computer system than the other practice and there was no way of transferring date electronically.
Sorry Rose but the DPA covers not only computerised but written records.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...finitions.aspx

as to the second part - obviously you don't wonder why I have no faith in the NHS bumbling, the £billions wasted on totally disparate systems in towns next to other. And they want more money, but thats alright its Public Money.
You wouldnt do it at home so why do it at work.

Imagine buying your son a computer that isnt compatible with the systems at school and then buying another computer for your daughter that isnt compatible with either of the other two.

Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Sorry Rose but the DPA covers not only computerised but written records.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...finitions.aspx

as to the second part - obviously you don't wonder why I have no faith in the NHS bumbling, the £billions wasted on totally disparate systems in towns next to other. And they want more money, but thats alright its Public Money.
You wouldnt do it at home so why do it at work.

Imagine buying your son a computer that isnt compatible with the systems at school and then buying another computer for your daughter that isnt compatible with either of the other two.

Domino & Rose.....why has any of these ramblings about the NHS,the data protection act or whatever else,to do with the original point?

The prank call was deliberate action to invade someone's privacy, done to boost ratings and their earnings.

If the wife of a member of the royal family is deemed an acceptable target for such an invasion, where does that leave the rest of us?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by dunmovin
Domino & Rose.....why has any of these ramblings about the NHS,the data protection act or whatever else,to do with the original point?

The prank call was deliberate action to invade someone's privacy, done to boost ratings and their earnings.

If the wife of a member of the royal family is deemed an acceptable target for such an invasion, where does that leave the rest of us?
Where have you been for the past few years ?
Invasion of privacy is alive and kicking - whether it is the people themselves making announcements, people dig for it, ask "friends" to dish the dirt.
The way the press and every prurient individual looking for a bit of salacious titbits to run around and make comment about.

So you have a shouting match on the bus or fall over drunk in the High Street and someone records it on their mobile and the next thing you know it is all over the internet - you have no control over it.

TV and Radio Stations, just like the guy in a greasy mac with Press on his homburg, have for decades been trying to get to speak to people of public interest, and succeeded.

This affair has been blown up because someone involved has taken their own life, but I don't think in the long term it will stop people with long lenses and vibration microphones trying to find out something that can be sold for a few quid or be used to improve their personal and employer's standing in the News Media, even just for their own personal 15 minutes of fame.

`
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Where have you been for the past few years ?
Invasion of privacy is alive and kicking - whether it is the people themselves making announcements, people dig for it, ask "friends" to dish the dirt.
The way the press and every prurient individual looking for a bit of salacious titbits to run around and make comment about.

So you have a shouting match on the bus or fall over drunk in the High Street and someone records it on their mobile and the next thing you know it is all over the internet - you have no control over it.

TV and Radio Stations, just like the guy in a greasy mac with Press on his homburg, have for decades been trying to get to speak to people of public interest, and succeeded.

This affair has been blown up because someone involved has taken their own life, but I don't think in the long term it will stop people with long lenses and vibration microphones trying to find out something that can be sold for a few quid or be used to improve their personal and employer's standing in the News Media, even just for their own personal 15 minutes of fame.

`
Just because it "has been around for a while" doesn't make it acceptable. Just as murder, theft, fraud, etc have been alive and kicking for centuries. Does that make them acceptable?
"This affair has been blown up because someone involved has taken their own life," Do you think that this is acceptable from people who broadcast to the public? or do you think the loss of her life was just collateral damage?

Why blame the NHS?

Why not lay the blame on the two that done it? or the morons that think this was a fun prank?
Think about it, if you were a victim of such an invasion or caught up in the media storm,would YOU not want some form of protection from what these people can do to your life?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by dunmovin
Just because it "has been around for a while" doesn't make it acceptable. Just as murder, theft, fraud, etc have been alive and kicking for centuries. Does that make them acceptable?
"This affair has been blown up because someone involved has taken their own life," Do you think that this is acceptable from people who broadcast to the public? or do you think the loss of her life was just collateral damage?

Why blame the NHS?

Why not lay the blame on the two that done it? or the morons that think this was a fun prank?
Think about it, if you were a victim of such an invasion or caught up in the media storm,would YOU not want some form of protection from what these people can do to your life?
you have your views as does everyone, but cannot understand why you have to only look at one part of the picture or the incident.

perhaps you will toot your hooter whilst driving down the road, that may trigger something in the mind of a pedestrian who will walk in front of a bus.
Your fault ?
The pedestrian's fault ?
The bus driver's fault
Or the fault of whatever was triggered by the hooter - which you sounded, so it is your fault

I get the impression all you want to do is Blame and Name, but obviously it isnt that easy when looking at the full picture. That an individual lost their life in trying circumstances is bad. That the individual broke all human traits and their strict religious upbringing to take their own life is even worse.

The NHS discussion was by 2 people discussing security and data protection, as sometimes happens at a cocktail party - people will have their own little discussion without leaving the party. Although there is some oblique relevence.
As it stands the NHS has absolutely no part in the incident as King Edward VII is a private hospital.

So what do you see as the lessons learnt, the way forward ?

`
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

We have an elderly relative in hospital that has just had a serious operation, and when my sister phoned to ask how it had gone, how was she, she was told, "Sorry but due to recent events we no longer give any details over the phone!".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.