British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Joint bank account non resident and resident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/joint-bank-account-non-resident-resident-912756/)

Zuco May 14th 2018 9:45 am

Joint bank account non resident and resident

Hi everyone,

Is it possible for a non resident and a resident to have a joint bank acount for the purpose of a mortage in both names??

the desposit from the mortage is coming from the resident account

thanks

bobd22 May 14th 2018 10:38 am

Re: Joint bank account non resident and resident

Funny enough something I have just enquired with bank about (cajamar). To have a resident and non resident on joint account the account has to be a resident account in the name of the one resident. The non resident can be added as an authorised user but this must be done at a notary seemingly?

Zuco May 14th 2018 11:36 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12499129)
Funny enough something I have just enquired with bank about (cajamar). To have a resident and non resident on joint account the account has to be a resident account in the name of the one resident. The non resident can be added as an authorised user but this must be done at a notary seemingly?

can it be the other way round?

EsuriJohn May 14th 2018 3:06 pm

It is a complicated matter. We have two separate bank accounts. Both were set up when we non-resident. The first one between myself and my wife we converted to a resident account when we moved here permanently. The bi annual cost to certify the status was removed. The second a family joint account between all five of us revealed the problem. When we told the bank that two of us were resident they seemed to accept that however when the time came came to report our status they charged all five fees some 5x€35. Of course we noticed this charge on the account. We went in to complain a we then had months of to and fro but eventually there was no solution. We still have a non-resident account at that bank. I complained to the manager who had no latitude the bank of Spain insist on the report and you cannot split the account. But the nice manager refunds our two fees and we pay for three.

bobd22 May 14th 2018 6:04 pm

The way it was explained to me no it can't be other way round.

Smithy73 May 15th 2018 12:56 am

You can both have a joint non resident account... but until you have both applied and gained residency they won´t change it.

bobd22 May 15th 2018 9:55 am

If one is resident then they should hold a resident account and the non resident goes down as an authorised user of that account which has to be all signed over at the notary office. A resident should not retain a non resident account once they have the green residency paper. That's how it was explained to me about 6 weeks ago by the bank. Of course the non resident can hold their own non resident account separately.