Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Jobs--Hearing Aids, Spain

Jobs--Hearing Aids, Spain

Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Tsuru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs--Hearing Aids, Spain

Hello Everyone. How do you do? This is my first post, and it’s directed at those with knowledge of the hearing aid industry in Spain. However, anyone is welcome to comment.

A bit about me: I was born in Glasgow, but soon after moved to Canada. Went to university and college, did a bit of traveling (I was in Spain for 3 months and Japan for 2 years), and I am now a hearing instrument practitioner back in Canada--a hearing instrument practitioner is similar to a hearing instrument dispenser in Britain. So far, my experience has been in clinic, where I have learned so much, especially from my manager.

I like trying new things, and have thought about moving to Spain. I wonder if an English-speaking HIP (or HID) can find work in a Spanish-speaking country—although I do study Spanish, I’m still crap at it. Would I be able to work in a clinical setting, dealing with the public—in other words, are there enough English speaking folks visiting hearing clinics? Has anyone ever visited a hearing clinic in Spain? How was the service?

But perhaps I’d like to try working for a hearing aid manufacturer. Does anyone know of the company Unitron in Alicante hiring English speakers (or any other manufacturer)?

Thanks to everyone who took time to read and comment!
Christine
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:35 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs--Hearing Aids, Spain

Originally Posted by Tsuru
Hello Everyone. How do you do? This is my first post, and it’s directed at those with knowledge of the hearing aid industry in Spain. However, anyone is welcome to comment.

A bit about me: I was born in Glasgow, but soon after moved to Canada. Went to university and college, did a bit of traveling (I was in Spain for 3 months and Japan for 2 years), and I am now a hearing instrument practitioner back in Canada--a hearing instrument practitioner is similar to a hearing instrument dispenser in Britain. So far, my experience has been in clinic, where I have learned so much, especially from my manager.

I like trying new things, and have thought about moving to Spain. I wonder if an English-speaking HIP (or HID) can find work in a Spanish-speaking country—although I do study Spanish, I’m still crap at it. Would I be able to work in a clinical setting, dealing with the public—in other words, are there enough English speaking folks visiting hearing clinics? Has anyone ever visited a hearing clinic in Spain? How was the service?

But perhaps I’d like to try working for a hearing aid manufacturer. Does anyone know of the company Unitron in Alicante hiring English speakers (or any other manufacturer)?

Christine
Have you tryed e-mailing them with your cv
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

hello^^

I was more wondering what the atmosphere is like... if there are English speakers working at manufacturers/clinics. Emailing a cv often gets no response. Especially if there are no English speakers there.

Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

hello^^

I was more wondering what the atmosphere is like... if there are English speakers working at manufacturers/clinics. Emailing a cv often gets no response. Especially if there are no English speakers there.

Thanks
Personally I think you are looking for a needle in a haystack, but I wish you all the best in your investigation
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:56 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

hello^^

Thanks
I see.good luck
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

I can see where you are coming from on this one. I wonder if you have thought about contacting any of the health centres in the areas with the highest english-speaking populations? I expect that the biggest market would be in those areas where the resident expat population is a bit older so e.g. Calpe, Torrevieja, maybe up to Javea on the CB and then around Malaga on the CDS. You might need to be a sort of mobile clinician as no one area alone might have enough clients. Alternatively, try the Canaries as a starting point where you might not need too much Spanish to begin with (if ever).

All this is speculation for me as I don't know how they do their hearing aid dispensing here. Alicante doesn't have a large expat community per se so I can't see them needing one here exactly. But there are other places that might. I'd google health services for the client and age group you know you are looking at from your experience in the field and then contact those providers to determine how well the demand is covered here already.

All the main expat areas have their own weekly newspapers with ads in for lots of different services - these might also give a starting point. e.g. http://http://www.costa-news.com/

Good luck and I hope it works out for you
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Christine
Having used hearing aid clinics in Spain, all the ones I went to were basically Spanish, but many of the people testing people for hearing difficulties did speak good english, BUT the majority of their clients were Spanish, so fluency was vital, Gaes is one of the biggest companies, and the hearing aids are all Siemens, and are sent away for repair etc. The service was superb, there is no such thing as a Spanish NHS style hearing set up, everything is private and almost all aids are 'in ear' digital.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Hello Mikelincs!

Thank you for your reply. I was happy to hear from a hearing aid user and read about your experience in Spain.

I imagine Spain and Canada have similar private practices. I have read about the NHS, and how people in the UK obtain hearing aids. I wonder if anyone would visit a dispenser because HAs are free through hospitals. How can a dispenser compete/survive? I have thought about working in Edinburgh, but I don't know if it would be a good decision based on that fact alone. Hmm...

I am lucky because I have learned how to do pretty much all repairs to HA. My labs at school, as well as my manager (he's 40 yrs working with HA), have taught me. We don't send away to the manufacturer. Everything is done "in house". If you have any HA questions, just let me know! I am thinking of starting a HA blog, too. I want to be able to help people. When I get it going, I'll send you the link. You might find it useful. At least that's the idea.

Have a great day!
Christine
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mikelincs!

Thank you for your reply. I was happy to hear from a hearing aid user and read about your experience in Spain.

I imagine Spain and Canada have similar private practices. I have read about the NHS, and how people in the UK obtain hearing aids. I wonder if anyone would visit a dispenser because HAs are free through hospitals. How can a dispenser compete/survive? I have thought about working in Edinburgh, but I don't know if it would be a good decision based on that fact alone. Hmm...

I am lucky because I have learned how to do pretty much all repairs to HA. My labs at school, as well as my manager (he's 40 yrs working with HA), have taught me. We don't send away to the manufacturer. Everything is done "in house". If you have any HA questions, just let me know! I am thinking of starting a HA blog, too. I want to be able to help people. When I get it going, I'll send you the link. You might find it useful. At least that's the idea.

Have a great day!
Christine
NHS hearing aids are not the 'in the ear' type, although digital, they have a piece that fits behind the ear as receiver. To get the small 'in the ear' type you have to go private.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Ahh... OK. You prefer a small one that goes completely inside your ear, but NHS doesn't supply them?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

How often can you receive HA through NHS? You can receive a new pair whenever you need them, or every 3 yrs, something like that?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:59 pm
Concierge

How often can you receive HA through NHS? You can receive a new pair whenever you need them, or every 3 yrs, something like that?
No idea, I'm just about to get my first set..
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

--OK, fair enough.

Good luck. And don't give up, even if you hate them at first! It takes a bit of getting used to. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Christine
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:47 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No idea, I'm just about to get my first set..
DOES THAT MEAN THAT WE HAVE TO SHOUT AT YOU ON THE FORUM, BY TYPING IN CAPITALS?

iF IT MAKES IT EASIER FOR YOU..........I AM SURE WE WILL ALL COMPLY....

cheers....
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alig2010
I can see where you are coming from on this one. I wonder if you have thought about contacting any of the health centres in the areas with the highest english-speaking populations? I expect that the biggest market would be in those areas where the resident expat population is a bit older so e.g. Calpe, Torrevieja, maybe up to Javea on the CB and then around Malaga on the CDS. You might need to be a sort of mobile clinician as no one area alone might have enough clients. Alternatively, try the Canaries as a starting point where you might not need too much Spanish to begin with (if ever).

All this is speculation for me as I don't know how they do their hearing aid dispensing here. Alicante doesn't have a large expat community per se so I can't see them needing one here exactly. But there are other places that might. I'd google health services for the client and age group you know you are looking at from your experience in the field and then contact those providers to determine how well the demand is covered here already.

All the main expat areas have their own weekly newspapers with ads in for lots of different services - these might also give a starting point. e.g. http://http://www.costa-news.com/

Good luck and I hope it works out for you
Oh my Goodness! I didn't notice your reply. I don't think I got an email notification. >.< Thank you! Thank you!

...The weekly papers, along with the general expat areas are most helpful. I will research your info carefully tonight.

Thanks again,
Christine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.