Reload this Page >

Jobs in Gibraltar

Jobs in Gibraltar

Old May 17th 2009, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

KMas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Gibraltar

Hi,

Finally got the internet on after our move to Spain. All is going well except my job hunt . My husband has started work and I'm not enjoying being at home all the time and really could do with an income as well.
Agencies have put me forward for stuff but there is never any word back - is it the agencies that are hopeless? I'm a part-qualifed accountant (still studying) but would do anything at the moment - does anyone have 'inside knowledge' on anything that is available? I've got retail and customer service experience and would do shifts, easily pleased

Thanks

K
Old May 17th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Gibraltar

Originally Posted by KMas
Hi,

Finally got the internet on after our move to Spain. All is going well except my job hunt . My husband has started work and I'm not enjoying being at home all the time and really could do with an income as well.
Agencies have put me forward for stuff but there is never any word back - is it the agencies that are hopeless? I'm a part-qualifed accountant (still studying) but would do anything at the moment - does anyone have 'inside knowledge' on anything that is available? I've got retail and customer service experience and would do shifts, easily pleased

Thanks

K
I have mentioned this before but the agencies are rubbish. They put out all the hype but there isn´t any jobs. However if you have accountancy skills I would have thought that would make you very attractive. I presume you have tried Morrisons and the high street. Where are you living and what is your husband doing?
Old May 17th 2009, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I have mentioned this before but the agencies are rubbish. They put out all the hype but there isn´t any jobs. However if you have accountancy skills I would have thought that would make you very attractive. I presume you have tried Morrisons and the high street. Where are you living and what is your husband doing?
Thanks for your reply. Nothing in Morrisons at the moment, just applied for the only thing I've seen advertised in the high street. I think I might do a CV drop to companies directly rather than go through agencies, I've heard that companies aren't wanting to pay the agency fees.
I'm living near Alcaidesa and my husband is doing the same job as he was in the UK but for the Gibraltar office -nothing available there either.
I had thought that the accountancy skills would be helpful here but no-one wants me lol.
Old May 17th 2009, 2:38 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

i know we see about avg 20 - 30 emails here a day with cv ... company i working are expansioning with around 100 - 150 jobs and it only know in the industry we deal with but been . we people from all over the world email us every day , We had to tell people to stop email us .... not easy but people getting the Message .... agencies are rubbish here in spain and over chage the companys .... by law you need to post you jobs on news papers and the net ..

jurdy
Old May 17th 2009, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jurdyr
i know we see about avg 20 - 30 emails here a day with cv ... company i working are expansioning with around 100 - 150 jobs and it only know in the industry we deal with but been . we people from all over the world email us every day , We had to tell people to stop email us .... not easy but people getting the Message .... agencies are rubbish here in spain and over chage the companys .... by law you need to post you jobs on news papers and the net ..

jurdy
I thought as much Jurdy - would you advise against the direct approach? I've been checking the Chronicle but I think I am limited because I am not bilingual. I'll keep toiling away, now that I have an internet connection again I shall probably find it easier.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:25 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought as much Jurdy - would you advise against the direct approach? I've been checking the Chronicle but I think I am limited because I am not bilingual. I'll keep toiling away, now that I have an internet connection again I shall probably find it easier.
Direct approach is so much better, also pop in more than once. Have a browse around the internet, I got my job thanks to infojobs.net. Or a site called laboris seems good to me as well.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Just a quick update.

I finally got a job offer starting next week!! It's only taken me 7 weeks and 5 days but
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:26 am
Just Joined

sarahandjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just a brief explaination about us.

We are hoping to move over to Estepona in Southern Spain asap with our 2 daughters age 8 and 4, house is on the market in the UK and has been for the past year! We have been over to Spain/Gib lots of times now and have many friends there and know the area well.

John is registered with all or most of the agencies in Gib and speaks to them and e mails them on a regular basis and has met up with a few of them too.

John is a Project Manager in IT, educated to degree level, ITIL and Prince 2 practitioner and has a great CV BUT CAN'T SEEM TO GET A JOB!

Any help on the above would be great. Any names of companies that he could e mail his cv to direct would be great too.

Thanks for your time.

Sarah and John
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahandjohn

John is a Project Manager in IT, educated to degree level, ITIL and Prince 2 practitioner and has a great CV BUT CAN'T SEEM TO GET A JOB!

Sarah and John
Being IT illiterate I have no idea what the above qualifications are.

However I do know there are very few jobs about but many applicants.

It may be worthwhile to set your sights a little on the low side, get in and then prove your worth.
Always easier when you are on the inside.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sarahandjohn
Hi,

Just a brief explaination about us.

We are hoping to move over to Estepona in Southern Spain asap with our 2 daughters age 8 and 4, house is on the market in the UK and has been for the past year! We have been over to Spain/Gib lots of times now and have many friends there and know the area well.

John is registered with all or most of the agencies in Gib and speaks to them and e mails them on a regular basis and has met up with a few of them too.

Any help on the above would be great. Any names of companies that he could e mail his cv to direct would be great too.

Thanks for your time.

Sarah and John
Could he not stay working in UK and commute on a weekly basis? My OH has the same qualifications as John but works on a contract basis and when we move to Spain, he will continue to work all over Europe (as he has done for the last 18 years or so) returning 'home' at weekends ...
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

sarahandjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for posts.

I know what you are saying about commuting but the whole idea of moving over to Spain is so we are there as a family and for better outdoor family life and spending time together. If John's couldn't go then neither would we! We will get there eventually and until then we will just have to wait and see what comes available to us.

Thanks again.

Anymore advice or help on the job front i.e. list of companies direct to e mail?

Sarah
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Peter B is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick update.

I finally got a job offer starting next week!! It's only taken me 7 weeks and 5 days but
Congratulations. Did you get the job through an agency or direct approach?

I'm a CIMA qualified accountant looking for something in Gibraltar but as I currently live near Huelva I'm very dependent on the agencies. Which ones delivered for you?

Last edited by Peter B; Jul 6th 2009 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Punctuation