Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Jobs in Allicante ... Best place for Brits in Spain

Jobs in Allicante ... Best place for Brits in Spain

Old Jun 1st 2022, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Allicante ... Best place for Brits in Spain

Hi all !!... We are close to our decision to move out of our isolated village to a bigger city area in Spain. We are fed up of slow services around the village being a young family and we are seeking more job opportunities with diverse people. What exactly are job opportunities like in Allicante for a British and a Spanish person with factory and hospitality experience. What is the pay like ?

​​​​​​
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Allicante ... Best place for Brits in Spain

Originally Posted by britishlondon30s
Hi all !!... We are close to our decision to move out of our isolated village to a bigger city area in Spain. We are fed up of slow services around the village being a young family and we are seeking more job opportunities with diverse people. What exactly are job opportunities like in Allicante for a British and a Spanish person with factory and hospitality experience. What is the pay like ?

​​​​​​
This follows from your other thread. Basically there are jobs in hospitality in Alicante ( city) but they are not well paid ( low skill) and you need to be willing to work extraordinarily long hours ( 12 hour days) in season to make a reasonable living. The downside is its seasonal.Factory work is fairly non existent unless you are considering the agricultural sector and again this is the lowest paid so is long and gruelling work ( often done by immigrants). As I said in your other thread work in Spain is extremely hard to find unless you are very sought after and working in one of the major cities. Without professional qualifications people basically expect to live at the bread line. This is a fact of life in spain and is why family remains the key to survival. Most Spanish live close to their families and these provide economic bases for them. Grandparents look after children ( school finishes at 2.00pm). Parents get money. Parents pool money with grandparents for food which often means one person cooking large amounts to feed families. Families often pool together to buy land and properties. This is why you might see abandoned houses which remain untouched for years even decades. Whole families would intially own them but if the start to fall out bills go unpaid and property is abandoned. Anyway, for families with no support like British Spain can become a deadly trap where you can find it impossible to provide for your family- hence the reason many return to UK. Spain is for UK pensioners or single folk with either savings or a foreign income source.

I should add that low paid work in hospitality will be partly cash in hand ( no one pays everything legally in that trade) So while you will get a contract your contributions will be low which not only effect your paro but also your pension. I have just received my Spanish forecast: 8 years work and I need to work until 70 to get.....210 euros a month!! That is because I have always been paid 60/40 in every job!!!
Serious I have a friend in UK who has not worked for many years and probably made 18 years of contributions ,since then he gets disability allowance. He was telling me that he will get a full pension at 66 and hopes to also inherit his folks house plus some money. Seems totally unfair but that's life. But you should always be aware of chasing your dreams without having your feet attached to earth
!!

Old Jun 2nd 2022, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking about hospitality jobs, Spain's tourism sector has also launched a scheme to recruit Ukrainian refugees and that means the better paid unfilled positions will probably be gone quickly.
Even in Torrevieja it's started and due to the support they will get, these employers won't have to increase salaries which is unfortunately not great for locals seeking work.
https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/05/1...ian-residents/
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Speaking about hospitality jobs, Spain's tourism sector has also launched a scheme to recruit Ukrainian refugees and that means the better paid unfilled positions will probably be gone quickly.
Even in Torrevieja it's started and due to the support they will get, these employers won't have to increase salaries which is unfortunately not great for locals seeking work.
https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/05/1...ian-residents/
4 000 Ukrainians have apparently arrived in Torrevieja however judging by the number of SUVs with Ukrainian number plates they might not all be looking for jobs!!
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
4 000 Ukrainians have apparently arrived in Torrevieja however judging by the number of SUVs with Ukrainian number plates they might not all be looking for jobs!!
I'm sure there will be plenty who already have holiday homes there. Then again, just because you drive an SUV doesn't mean you are wealthy. Many have lost everything back home and business is non-existent, so company owners with debt have no income. It is better news for these people though: This week, the Spanish government announced that all Ukrainians living in Spain at the time of the Russian invasion of their country (February 24th 2022) may now legalise their situation. As a result, Ukrainian nationals are guaranteed residence and work permits in Spain.

The decision will bring considerable peace of mind to all Ukrainians currently in Spain, particularly those in the country without legal paperwork. Their number is estimated to be several thousand.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I'll agree with you on that one. The Ukrainians I've seen here certainly aren't short of a few Euro and aren't taking the jobs from anyone. I think the worst I've seen on UA plates is an X5.

This photo was taken 100m from the Ukrainian honorary consulate in Valencia.

Old Jun 2nd 2022, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

This follows from your other thread. Basically there are jobs in hospitality in Alicante ( city) but they are not well paid ( low skill) and you need to be willing to work extraordinarily long hours ( 12 hour days) in season to make a reasonable living. The downside is its seasonal.Factory work is fairly non existent unless you are considering the agricultural sector and again this is the lowest paid so is long and gruelling work ( often done by immigrants). As I said in your other thread work in Spain is extremely hard to find unless you are very sought after and working in one of the major cities. Without professional qualifications people basically expect to live at the bread line. This is a fact of life in spain and is why family remains the key to survival. Most Spanish live close to their families and these provide economic bases for them. Grandparents look after children ( school finishes at 2.00pm). Parents get money. Parents pool money with grandparents for food which often means one person cooking large amounts to feed families. Families often pool together to buy land and properties. This is why you might see abandoned houses which remain untouched for years even decades. Whole families would intially own them but if the start to fall out bills go unpaid and property is abandoned. Anyway, for families with no support like British Spain can become a deadly trap where you can find it impossible to provide for your family- hence the reason many return to UK. Spain is for UK pensioners or single folk with either savings or a foreign income source.

I should add that low paid work in hospitality will be partly cash in hand ( no one pays everything legally in that trade) So while you will get a contract your contributions will be low which not only effect your paro but also your pension. I have just received my Spanish forecast: 8 years work and I need to work until 70 to get.....210 euros a month!! That is because I have always been paid 60/40 in every job!!!
Serious I have a friend in UK who has not worked for many years and probably made 18 years of contributions ,since then he gets disability allowance. He was telling me that he will get a full pension at 66 and hopes to also inherit his folks house plus some money. Seems totally unfair but that's life. But you should always be aware of chasing your dreams without having your feet attached to earth
!!
60/40 in every job ? Wow no thanks. That is illegal. Not sure what sort of contracts people are lashing about in torrevieja. Every contract I have had had been 100% paid into my bank and signed with an agreement from a union

Factory work is none existent ? Where are you getting your information from ?

this forum is hilarious
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We have been out for lunch in Nerja today, and were chatting to the waiter who we know quite well as we have been going to the restaurant for years. He is from Nepal and sends money back to his parents to help support the family, and he and his Spanish girlfriend rent a property locally. He was telling us that he had just come back from a week long trip to Istanbul - and the primary reason for going was to have a hair transplant! This really doesn't fit with the narrative of hospitality workers in Spain living from hand to mouth.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
We have been out for lunch in Nerja today, and were chatting to the waiter who we know quite well as we have been going to the restaurant for years. He is from Nepal and sends money back to his parents to help support the family, and he and his Spanish girlfriend rent a property locally. He was telling us that he had just come back from a week long trip to Istanbul - and the primary reason for going was to have a hair transplant! This really doesn't fit with the narrative of hospitality workers in Spain living from hand to mouth.
I know a girl who works in one of the busiest bars in Benidorm. She is clearing 2000 euros per month with her tips. She is a grafter though granted, she works 6 nights a week until about 3am but at the end of the day she is taking the bread home.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Why wouldn't it fit with the narrative of hospitality workers in Spain living from hand to mouth? Of course not everyone working for a restaurant is poor and maybe they don't have kids, I still wouldn't say that everyone working as a waiter is loaded with money. Surely the whole point of going to Turkey was because he couldn't afford it in Spain. Some people even need loans for dental treatment abroad and if a British family is going on a holiday to Bulgaria doesn't mean they are well off. Regarding treatment abroad, people are being warned about medical tourism here. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...dure-1.4877779

It might be good money for young people, singles, pensioners who want a bit of money on the side and those who inherited property and are mortgage free. It would still be hard to feed a family.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
I know a girl who works in one of the busiest bars in Benidorm. She is clearing 2000 euros per month with her tips. She is a grafter though granted, she works 6 nights a week until about 3am but at the end of the day she is taking the bread home.
But are bars doing business 6 days a week until 3 am all year? Surely that is peak season.? In other words is she earning 24.000 euros a year as a barmaid? I know Bernidorm is busy in the summer months but from November to May its pretty quiet and " bars" that operate those hours tend to be " nightclubs" and thats a different ball game altogther!!
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

But are bars doing business 6 days a week until 3 am all year? Surely that is peak season.? In other words is she earning 24.000 euros a year as a barmaid? I know Bernidorm is busy in the summer months but from November to May its pretty quiet and " bars" that operate those hours tend to be " nightclubs" and thats a different ball game altogther!!
You get the odd month it’s a bit quiet. They have live music acts on every night of the week. January and February is quiet but once March comes all the stags and hens etc return. Not just her bar, all of the bar staff in the British zone do particularly well from tips