Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

jewellery gibraltar

jewellery gibraltar

Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

happybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant future
Default jewellery gibraltar

anybody know if jewellery ie wedding rings are any cheaper in gibraltar
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: jewellery gibraltar

No they are not, nor is anything else. The sooner it becomes part of Spain the better. If you want to smoke and drink yourself to death then its a fantastic place.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keddyboy
No they are not, nor is anything else. The sooner it becomes part of Spain the better. If you want to smoke and drink yourself to death then its a fantastic place.
"The sooner it becomes part of Spain the better" I think the official figure shows that 99% of the Gib population DISAGREE with you as do many Spanish, its just the politico`s who want to make a name for themselves,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:16 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keddyboy
Fuel is still cheaper in Gibraltar. Kicking out at 81p a litre for diesel at the moment. Cigarettes are dirt cheap. But morrisons is damn expensive for food. Meals arent particularly cheaper and bars arent for drinks.

I kinda agree with the "sooner it becomes part of Spain the better" Anything to remove that god awful frontier which for me is one of the biggest problems in Gibraltar. Seriously last week it took me 3 hours to go 3 miles because of the gridlock getting out of Gib. And what for? So people dont take out too many cigarettes? Waste of time and money. They should just connect the roads straight up to La Linea and be done with it. Its not like they even properly check passports anyway.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I kinda agree with the "sooner it becomes part of Spain the better" Anything to remove that god awful frontier which for me is one of the biggest problems in Gibraltar. Seriously last week it took me 3 hours to go 3 miles because of the gridlock getting out of Gib. And what for? So people dont take out too many cigarettes? Waste of time and money. They should just connect the roads straight up to La Linea and be done with it. Its not like they even properly check passports anyway.

So ........ what about all the people who actually live there? What would you say to them?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

And what for? So people dont take out too many cigarettes? Waste of time and money. They should just connect the roads straight up to La Linea and be done with it. Its not like they even properly check passports anyway.
In principle Gib could join the Schengen agreement and without becoming part of Spain, the border control could go. However Gib makes a lot of income as a "tax-free" provider for shipping and they would have to lose that status to join Schengen. As that is a major point for the Gib economy, they are not very likely to go down that road. I recently chatted to a fellow boat owner headed back to the UK in his motor yacht and he was deviating many miles into Gib and back as the visit would save him 2000 pounds on a refuel compared to filling up in Spain. The 5 tonnes of diesel thus loaded would get him all the way back to the UK. The roadside check is minimal because there is not a huge risk of massive tax evasion and so many Spanish work on the rock too. Best way to avoid the queues, if you want to visit, is to go down by moto or park car in La Linea and walk across.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Spanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to behold

Since when has a wedding ring been cheap!!!!I got mine 15 years ago and its cost me an F***ing fortune....still is!...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:07 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spanish John
Since when has a wedding ring been cheap!!!!I got mine 15 years ago and its cost me an F***ing fortune....still is!...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:47 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So ........ what about all the people who actually live there? What would you say to them?
I say exactly the same, its funny, it winds them up big time

Nah what they need to do is charge foreign plated cars a 10 euro toll to go into Gibraltar. Similar to London congestion charge, but Gibraltar residents get it free. Then provide a free (or very cheap) park and ride scheme. A big ass dirty ugly multi story car park would be nice on all that spare land next to the border. Then regular shuttle busses going straight through across the border. Obviously done in co-operation with Spain. It would be good for both sides.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:39 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I say exactly the same, its funny, it winds them up big time

Nah what they need to do is charge foreign plated cars a 10 euro toll to go into Gibraltar. Similar to London congestion charge, but Gibraltar residents get it free. Then provide a free (or very cheap) park and ride scheme. A big ass dirty ugly multi story car park would be nice on all that spare land next to the border. Then regular shuttle busses going straight through across the border. Obviously done in co-operation with Spain. It would be good for both sides.
so which is the best day for us to come then cause I need to get in and out quick.
Sharon
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:01 pm
In Estepona

Originally Posted by gallerie9
so which is the best day for us to come then cause I need to get in and out quick.
Sharon
Hi Sharon,

come on a tuesday at about 2.30am . The border should be pretty quiet then

If you dont have to drive in then dont. Theres parking right outside the border (some free, some paid for) then jump on a bus into the centre. You will not got hit by any queues.

If you are driving, and coming on a weekday then try to get out before 4pm. Also wait till august when the feria in la linea is done with.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

And check the flight times into Gib airport. The road is closed whilst planes taxi, take off and land so a huge queue can build up regardless of border controls.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel is still cheaper in Gibraltar. Kicking out at 81p a litre for diesel at the moment. Cigarettes are dirt cheap. But morrisons is damn expensive for food. Meals arent particularly cheaper and bars arent for drinks.

"I kinda agree with the "sooner it becomes part of Spain the better"

Talk about selfish!!just so you can have your pie and chips in record time,! what about the wishes of the residents? Being independent from Spain ensures their livelihood,If cars were not checked Spanish customs & excise would soon be loosing millions, artics would be bringing out tons of fags!! Same situation in Andorra,
Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:58 pm
In Estepona

Originally Posted by Rotor
"I kinda agree with the "sooner it becomes part of Spain the better"

Talk about selfish!!just so you can have your pie and chips in record time,! what about the wishes of the residents? Being independent from Spain ensures their livelihood,If cars were not checked Spanish customs & excise would soon be loosing millions, artics would be bringing out tons of fags!! Same situation in Andorra,
Rgds

Rotor

Rotor, I was joking. Its this argument that flares up the Gibraltarians, which I find heavilly amusing. I personally wouldnt want to see Gibraltar become part of Spain. But I would like to see easier travel between the two countries. I was talking to someone who left morrisons on east side at 5.30pm and didnt get through to la linea till 9.15pm. How on earth can a country function like this? Gibraltar needs the skills and resources from Spain even if they won't admit it. Living in Gibraltar is too expensive. Why should we take a flat in a high rise block for £800 a month when 10 miles down the road we can have a lovely apartment with parking, communal pool, sea views etc for half the price?

The cheaper fuel and fags really isnt worth sitting for hours in border queues. Would be good if gib joined schengen.