Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Jamon and Choritzo cause Cancer

Jamon and Choritzo cause Cancer

Old Oct 26th 2015, 7:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jamon and Choritzo cause Cancer

Jamón and chorizo rank alongside cigarettes as potential cancer cause - The Local

I do avoid most forms of processed meats, but wouldn't have thought Jamon Serrano came into this category.
Other than being cured/preserved in salt, a common process in many countries including the UK for hundreds of years, I wouldn't have thought it came into that category.

As for the rest, Chorizos,Salchichas etc I've always been a bit wary of exactly what goes into them, with apologies for the typo in the title.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Oct 26th 2015 at 7:07 pm. Reason: Add on
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jamon and Choritzo cause Cancer

It's the chemicals used in the curing process that causes the problem, particularly Nitrites, which have been used for centuries in the curing process. They give the meat its usual bright reddish colour and act as preservatives.

Not all cured products use Nitrites, but most do to some extent.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:13 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Also, its been discovered that drinking 50,000 litres of water per day will kill you.

Everything in moderation....
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

You will just have to move to Prosciutto di Parma DOP and forget about Jamon.

[URL="http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/26/italy-parma-ham-defend-prosciutto-processed-meat-scare-cancer"]
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

What is the difference between Jamon Serrano and Prosciutto? - Food52
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

When you buy your ham at the butcher it is not easy to know if the meat contains nitrites.

It makes you wonder about the miracle of the mediterranean diet when almost everyone is eating cured meat every day.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 9:27 am
On the road again.

Jamon.com - The Jamon Iberico and Serrano Ham Curing Process

There's some interesting sub sections to the above link.
Here is one of them....
http://www.jamon.com/hamvsham.html

Not yet seen any mention of nitrates, though in another article it says they aren't allowed in the U.S. And only became standard practice in Spain in the 1990s.

It's a subject close to my heart or maybe my stomach. I've hauled quite a few legs back to the UK over the years thinking it was a pure product so I'm a bit disappointed to hear about this nitrate business.
I wonder exactly how it's applies to full legs for instance ?

I see there are two types of Iberico, only Iberico Belleto being from acorn fed pigs.
http://www.jamon.com/hamsofspain.html

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Oct 27th 2015 at 9:42 am. Reason: Add on
Old Oct 27th 2015, 3:16 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
When you buy your ham at the butcher it is not easy to know if the meat contains nitrites.

It makes you wonder about the miracle of the mediterranean diet when almost everyone is eating cured meat every day.
Yep, how come life expectancy is higher in Spain??????
Could be all the salads, fruit and pulses they eat... or maybe it's stress that is the real killer (plenty of that around I would have thought)
Old Oct 27th 2015, 5:38 pm
On the road again.

Statistics, statistics.....

The figures for men are almost the same with only a few months difference.

While there is more of a difference regarding women in Spain as against the UK the life expectancy between Portugese women and UK women is identical, so make of that what you may.

No doubt there are numerous contributory factors other than diet, with the more adverse UK weather possibly being only one of them.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 3:02 am
Just Joined

vicske is an unknown quantity at this point

If jamon, bacon or sausage will kill me, so be it I except the challenge.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Jorge45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Serrano only needs salt and cold weather. Dont worry.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jorge45
Serrano only needs salt and cold weather. Dont worry.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 10th 2015, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Jamón and chorizo rank alongside cigarettes as potential cancer cause - The Local

I do avoid most forms of processed meats, but wouldn't have thought Jamon Serrano came into this category.
Other than being cured/preserved in salt, a common process in many countries including the UK for hundreds of years, I wouldn't have thought it came into that category.

As for the rest, Chorizos,Salchichas etc I've always been a bit wary of exactly what goes into them, with apologies for the typo in the title.
Perhaps they think that we all need to worry about something.
Wait till somebody attacks the sulphites in wine.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:39 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

In Galicia we live dangerously.
Attached Thumbnails Jamon and Choritzo cause Cancer-casapepe.jpg  
Old Nov 10th 2015, 7:22 pm
On the road again.

Just received consignment of sausages and meats from a friend in Estonia.
What a wonderful surprise.
Top quality products, nicely seasoned, non greasy with the full flavour of the meats coming through.
Total contrast to the typical Spanish fatty, greasy,over spiced ,heart attack material which could contain just about anything, though to be fair there are one or two which I find quite edible in small doses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.