Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Its Medical Scare time again

Its Medical Scare time again

Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:54 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Its Medical Scare time again

The provincial government in the Costa Blanca is changing the law because it claims elderly people who have made their home in the region are placing too high a burden on the health system. This was reported in the press 26.6.2008

The move has prompted fury in the expatriate community on the Mediterranean coast. It feels it is being victimised by the Spanish, following years of clashes with authorities over the country's planning laws.

Many people moved to Spain on retirement believing they would be covered by the country's medical system. Now they are being forced to take out expensive private insurance.

< Snip, too much cut and paste, re rule 7 >

More about this here.......http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...-and-spain.xml

Last edited by jdr; Jun 27th 2008 at 5:57 am.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its Medical Scare time again

Already in another thread. It's only those who have been getting free medical treatment here who would NOT qualify elsewhere in Spain. The retired and pensioners are still going to get free health care.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:56 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Ahhhhhh Jdr you bring back memories when you give me the snip of when the boy became a man already.......... Big fat envelopes full of cash ahhhhh it was not the money my boy but hey just put it vive da rest son said Father So into the Volvo I go and it was earning interest before my batmizfa was over
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=poshnbucks;6507977]The provincial government in the Costa Blanca is changing the law because it claims elderly people who have made their home in the region are placing too high a burden on the health system. This was reported in the press 26.6.2008

The move has prompted fury in the expatriate community on the Mediterranean coast. It feels it is being victimised by the Spanish, following years of clashes with authorities over the country's planning laws.

Many people moved to Spain on retirement believing they would be covered by the country's medical system. Now they are being forced to take out expensive private insurance.

Hi,

I have just seen that it may not be as scary as we first thought.

If you go to the website British Embassy,

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk

there is an update on their news section. It seems that even early retirees will be able to get cover, for a monthly cost, and that pre existing conditions will not be discriminated against.

Lets Hope!

Cheers

Gadget
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Hi,

I have just seen that it may not be as scary as we first thought.

If you go to the website British Embassy,

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk

there is an update on their news section. It seems that even early retirees will be able to get cover, for a monthly cost, and that pre existing conditions will not be discriminated against.

Lets Hope!

Cheers

Gadget[/QUOTE]

Not quite right, try

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/spain

the other address doesn't get you to this info.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:24 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

This is just bringing Valencia in line with the rest of Spain and only affects early retirees.
As already posted HERE a while ago.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Ive heard of people getting trapped with no health cover between Spain and the Uk ,couldnt they pay their NI and get full cover in Spain, I pay around €244,00 pm and it covers me and my family,

If they paid the NI(Segurdad Social) and filed a zero on their VAT (IVA)return they would be coverd??You could say you were a self employed igloo constructor but cant find work!!

Okay so its over €200,00pm but thats cheaper than thousands for medical care and operations if needed, or relocating to the UK (horrifying thought!!)

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Ive heard of people getting trapped with no health cover between Spain and the Uk ,couldnt they pay their NI and get full cover in Spain, I pay around €244,00 pm and it covers me and my family,

If they paid the NI(Segurdad Social) and filed a zero on their VAT (IVA)return they would be coverd??You could say you were a self employed igloo constructor but cant find work!!

Okay so its over €200,00pm but thats cheaper than thousands for medical care and operations if needed, or relocating to the UK (horrifying thought!!)

Rgds

Rotor
Private health care for two in their mid fifties is around €1200 a year, not sure what the additions would be for children, but not a lot I guess.

I heard that the authorities were clamping down on people paying autonomo payments when they weren't self employed, although not sure how they would prove it. Presumably if you're not putting anything through on your books?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Private health care for two in their mid fifties is around €1200 a year, not sure what the additions would be for children, but not a lot I guess.

I heard that the authorities were clamping down on people paying autonomo payments when they weren't self employed, although not sure how they would prove it. Presumably if you're not putting anything through on your books?

I find that very hard to believe ,a goverment department refusing payment!!in Spain!! Not Likley,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I find that very hard to believe ,a goverment department refusing payment!!in Spain!! Not Likley,

Rgds

Rotor
Por que?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Por que?
Por que? Ive paid my SS for the last three years , and my IVA (unlike the larger percent of expats), they just increase the SS every now and then, If you pay SS but dont work you are not fiddling, your contributing for "seguridad" should you need it,hell ,if it worries you do some work!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:48 pm
Senior Moment

Por que? Ive paid my SS for the last three years , and my IVA (unlike the larger percent of expats), they just increase the SS every now and then, If you pay SS but dont work you are not fiddling, your contributing for "seguridad" should you need it,hell ,if it worries you do some work!!

Rgds

Rotor
Ahh .... no I didn't necessarily say they were fiddling, but clearly its frowned on in some parts as they were clamping down on it. Theres been a lot of people taken off the health lists, especially around here, recently.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Private health care for two in their mid fifties is around €1200 a year
Mitzyboy, that sounds like a good deal. Could you point me at which company please?

According to my Spanish tutors, Spain will provide EMERGENCY health care to all. No good for varicose veins of course.

The only group who aren't covered for routine health care, are the under retirement age, non contributing to a Social Security system somewhere in the EU, but hey I see Rotor over on this thread suggesting a scam on SS payments.

Last edited by 03630; Jul 4th 2008 at 1:29 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:31 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by 03630
Mitzyboy, that sounds like a good deal. Could you point me at which company please?

According to my Spanish tutors, Spain will provide EMERGENCY health care to all. No good for varicose veins of course.

The only group who aren't covered, are the under retirement age, non contributing to a Social Security system somewhere in the EU, but hey I see Rotor over on this thread suggesting a scam on SS payments.
They will provide an emergency service for holiday makers, yes, like most EU countries on production of the E111 (I think) card.

I use Sanitas, you can get an online quote
http://www.sanitas.es/jsp2/web/web18...v_id_idioma=17
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
This is just bringing Valencia in line with the rest of Spain and only affects early retirees.
Not quite, JDR - that's only the half of it.

Yes, disallowing free healthcare for non workers/non retirees is the same as the rest of Spain but what is very interesting is the proposal to allow cover for a monthly charge.

That is effectively a state run private heath insurance scheme providing care under the NHS and unlike a private scheme, pre-existing conditions would be covered.

That is definitely not the case in the rest of Spain but I bet there would be a lot of takers if it was significantly cheaper than existing private schemes.

It's worth pointing out that the real losers in the case of Valencia are those people who moved to Spain knowing that they would get cover in Valencia and subsequently developed a health problem. These people are now having their state cover removed but will be unable to get any private cover for their recently developed condition.

The proposed Valencian scheme gets round this problem.

You never know, it might just catch on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.