Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Its a Gas!! Air Con Maintenance

Its a Gas!! Air Con Maintenance

Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Its a Gas!! Air Con Maintenance

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Great answers!! Thanks.

I suspected theses annual check-ups were a bit dubious - I refused them 5 years ago as then they were €35 per unit per annum. I'm sure if they had spotted anything it would have been an expensive early warning... a bit like getting your tyre changes at Quik-Fat and them spotting your brake linings are worn right down (funny that) !!

(incidently, I tried to find out if it was better just to put in a new unit - round here it's about €150 per unit fitting + the unit cost itself.)
You do need to clean the air filters though my intention is to clean the filters every 6 mths and at the same time hoover the heat exchangers. All requirements are fully explained in my Mitsubishi owners manual which came with each unit. Must go now the aircon men have arrived hopefully for the last visit!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its a Gas!! Air Con Maintenance

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I have my car aircon serviced each year along with the annual service. My nephew owns the garage so I am well treated. A sophisticated machine is connected up extracts all the gas out of the system cleans it and tops it up. The standard charge for this is €70. The results are quite dramatic in August when the service takes place the air temp is hot and the cooling is instant and cold. It gradually deteriorates through the year and is brought back up to scratch by the service. The gas contains an "oil" which lubricates the seals and keeps the system solid against all the bumps and bangs of Spanish roads.
That sounds excessive.

My car A/C ran perfectly for 12 years before it needed gassing.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That sounds excessive.

Indeed it is excessive , must have a leak , they are notoriously difficult to find and some people don't bother paying hundreds for the mechanic to rip the system apart and just re-gas once or twice a year , going rate around in the cities is around 50 euros.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds excessive.

As I said he is a nephew who owns the garage and he treats me well!!!! What I like is it extracts the gas cleans and replaces the gas with just enough to top up to one hundred percent. It is interesting that he was trained by Citroen and VW and my current car is a Sharan the first time he did this was after about 4 years use and the printout said that it was only 80% gassed. I expressed surprise at this and he said to save costs manufacturers do not fill to 100% just enough to make the system operate then you pay to top it up at the first service if you complain that the aircon is not as efficient as your friends.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rotor
Indeed it is excessive , must have a leak , they are notoriously difficult to find and some people don't bother paying hundreds for the mechanic to rip the system apart and just re-gas once or twice a year , going rate around in the cities is around 50 euros.
Never complained of a leak never had the system apart and it works great. I say if someone treats you well never look a gift horse in the mouth
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Never complained of a leak never had the system apart and it works great. I say if someone treats you well never look a gift horse in the mouth
Well if you are getting it free - fair enough, but to pay £70 a year would be crazy!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well if you are getting it free - fair enough, but to pay £70 a year would be crazy!
You got the drift. I said €70 it is indeed in UK and the standard charge is £60 but for regular customers he charges £40 not bad compared to main dealer prices. I think the best advice is to use the aircon regularly say once a week then the seals don't dry and deteriorate.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

R134A is only around 10 euro a kilo trade price , most big cars use less than 1kg in the entire system.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rotor
R134A is only around 10 euro a kilo trade price , most big cars use less than 1kg in the entire system.
If you make millions of cars a year and can save a pound on each one either you make more profit or can beat someone else prices.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you make millions of cars a year and can save a pound on each one either you make more profit or can beat someone else prices.

You really believe they under fill the ac system to save money ?, look up how they work and you will see they dont when under filled .Most systems have a trinary switch which will not allow the compressor clutch to engage if pressure in down by only a very small %.ie 4 or 5%.
Attached Thumbnails Its a Gas!! Air Con Maintenance-decal___refriger.jpg