Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

Old Apr 3rd 2021, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I doubt that very much.

For comparison, the actual administration cost involved in registering a child as British is £372, beside which €278 looks a bargain - and that's before you take into account that what is actually charged to register the aforementioned child is £1,012. Now that's what I call raking it, as opposed to the simple covering of costs.
Home Office until late 70s/early 80s used to issue visas free of charge, as well as registering as British citizen. The only thing they charged was naturalisation, at £180 for someone married to British citizen and £240 for anyone else. They they started charging just to cover the cost of the service provided, which was around £200 for long-stay, family reunion visa. Then they began to charge an amount which will offset the cost of delivering the immigration and nationality service as a whole (so that British taxpayers don't have to subsidise), hence thousands you now pay for registration, naturalisation etc if you add all the visa and other fees you pay up to citizenship. The only other country to my knowledge to do something similar is Australia, but they charge something like £4,000 up front, which covers all the fees up to permanent residence.
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

DavenBev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

Originally Posted by Joppa
You can only apply for Irish passport if you are already an Irish citizen. Some are automatically Irish from birth, such as born in the Island of Ireland or if one of your parents is Irish. Some can claim Irish citizenship through foreign birth register, but you have to apply for it and can take a long time. Finally, you can apply for naturalisation as Irish citizen if you meet certain conditions, such as resident in Ireland for a certain period. This is entirely at the discretion of the Irish State.
I am British and have a British passport i also have dual-nationality and I hold a Irish passport this is due to the fact that my mother was born in the republic of Ireland that makes me automatically an Irish Citizen,
I obtained my Irish passport in October 2020 by supplying a certified copy of my mothers birth certificate, my parents wedding certificate, and my own birth certificate and it took only 4 weeks to complete I now have all the benefits of being a EU citizen including the right to live and work in the EU this is helpful to me as i have a residence in Spain that i can travel to Covid permitting as if i lived in Spain.

Hope this helps