Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

Old Mar 28th 2021, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Even with an Irish passport legally you're still bound by the 90/180 day rule.
No you are not. EU passport holders can stay in another EU state for six months at a time if they wish. Also, there is absolutely nothing stopping an EU national from travelling around Europe for a year if they want to and once it is safe to do so of course. UK nationals can no longer do this without a visa but as we all know, it was possible before Brexit.

Please, let's not hide from the benefits of an EU passport and let's face the fact that losing EU freedom of movement has very real consequences for many people.

Old Mar 28th 2021, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
One has to wonder how many of the people that have taken up the option of an Irish passport simply do so to get around Brexit issues, rather than some deep affiliation to Irish Ancestry?
I am the first to point out the benefits of an Irish passport but I like my Irish roots and wish I had taken my mother's wonderful Irish surname!
Old Mar 28th 2021, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Xisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Irish Passport ? Obligations of Irish Citizenship ?

It didn’t take long to start confusing people
Old Mar 28th 2021, 4:02 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Utter nonsense!

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Mar 28th 2021 at 4:16 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 4:14 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Can admin remove the factually incorrect posts from this chat please!

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Mar 28th 2021 at 4:16 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
I am the first to point out the benefits of an Irish passport but I like my Irish roots and wish I had taken my mother's wonderful Irish surname!
One has to wonder how many of the people that have taken up the option of an Irish passport simply do so to get around Brexit issues, rather than some deep affiliation to Irish Ancestry? I would guess as has been mentioned some from Northern Ireland would not consider doing this obviously some would. Let's face it even though there is now thankfully the peace accord between North and South issues are still there and depending on one's own personal view on the Island of Ireland will dictate one's "loyalty". It is an option that was open to me as I am a direct descendant of a Northern Irish mother, however the WA agreement and a bit of planning was an easier route than obtaining an Irish passport. Good luck to those that take this route but I understand why some may choose not to.
Then again hardly anyone has a deep affiliation to their Ancestry and it's all about the benefits today. People just do what suits them and there is no community spirit. You see it in Britain and if people were so proud of their country, why would they dump litter everywhere and buy 30 chicken nuggets for 2£ from Iceland (not the country:-). Luckily a lot of the rougher type in England don't even know that the Republic of Ireland is in the EU and stay away. I suppose I'd rather give away free passports to decent citizens. The picture is changing here too, but at least you have a few educated who then work and pay taxes for 5 years, so might appreciate it more.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 28th 2021 at 4:38 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 4:37 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The EU says "For the first three months, every EU citizen has the right to reside in the territory of another EU country with no conditions or formalities other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport. For longer periods, the host Member State may require a citizen to register his or her presence within a reasonable and non-discriminatory period of time."
Old Mar 28th 2021, 4:41 pm
Banned

Back to basics....

The "Four Freedoms" of the single market are:
  • Free movement of goods
  • Free movement of capital
  • Freedom to establish and provide services
  • Free movement of persons
Which bit is not clear...?

Irish passport holder can go wherever within the EU, for long as they want!

The other topic of this chat is tax obligations, and that has already been covered above.

Questions?
Old Mar 28th 2021, 4:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Can admin remove the factually incorrect posts from this chat please!
As per BE's site rules, if you have a complaint about a post please contact a moderator. The moderators for the Spain forum are Fred James and Rosemary.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
My comment wasn't a criticism of those obtaining an Irish passport in any way. I was lucky in that I don't need one to continue my life as I wish.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

My comment wasn't a criticism of those obtaining an Irish passport in any way. I was lucky in that I don't need one to continue my life as I wish.
​​​​​​No worries, I didn't take it as a criticism!
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

I have just sent my application in to the Irish foreign birth registry. €278 just for that process. They must be absolutely raking it.
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 1:49 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
I have just sent my application in to the Irish foreign birth registry. €278 just for that process. They must be absolutely raking it.
I doubt that very much.

For comparison, the actual administration cost involved in registering a child as British is £372, beside which €278 looks a bargain - and that's before you take into account that what is actually charged to register the aforementioned child is £1,012. Now that's what I call raking it, as opposed to the simple covering of costs.
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 2:47 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I guess current FCO/Home Office prices for British and foreign citizens abroad must be reassuringly expensive then.
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I very much doubt they are "raking it in" but in the unlikely event that they are, good luck to them.

You should think yourself darn lucky you can get an Irish passport. Many UK nationals would give anything to get an Irish passport because their future plans have been completely ruined by Brexit.

€278 to escape the Brexit trap is an absolute bargain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.