Irish passport

Old Sep 29th 2021, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish passport

Originally Posted by Stingychips
The Foreign Birth Register for Irish passports will have some backlog when they finally re open in October.
Yep: Sinn Féin spokesperson on Foreign Affairs and Defence John Brady TD has called for the immediate reopening of the Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) application process with the necessary resources to deal with a backlog of over 31,000 applications.

“The Minister for Foreign Affairs bears ultimate responsibility and obligation to the tens of thousands of Irish citizens for the registration of their children under the FBR process.

“In ordinary times, applicants under the FBR application process have faced waiting times of approximately 18 months.

“This in itself placed an inordinate strain on applicants. But with the advent of Brexit, compounded by Covid-19, department estimates on the time it takes to process an application has been extended to two years.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

The Foreign Birth Register for Irish passports will have some backlog when they finally re open in October.
They have a massive backlog with thousands of applications from UK nationals. Most UK nationals who are eligible for an Irish passport will obtain one to preserve their precious rights to freedom of movement.

I have now travelled with my Irish passport post Brexit and have witnessed the difference between travelling with a British passport and an EU passport which was scary. The British were all having their passports stamped on arrival in Spain which gave me the heebie geebies, it was like going back in time. My partner is still British so I really notice the difference and one border official looked at my Irish passport and said said "you're OK" while my partner was messing about with a load of paperwork.

I would not recommend overstaying in the Schengen area if you are a UK/third country national, the penalties are severe:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...ace-penalties/

Last edited by Lou71; Sep 29th 2021 at 12:15 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 12:27 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Henley Passport Index, Irish passport is 6th best in the world with the British passport comes in at 7th.

https://www.henleyglobal.com/passport-index
Old Sep 29th 2021, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Spain and Portugal well above the UK too! I'm surprised the UK passport is ranked as high as it is.

Old Sep 29th 2021, 1:09 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NataHH
As I am retired I would like to stay for 5 months but do not want residency. This is the advice that was given...

Registration and Finanças
If you wanted to stay five months legally in Portugal as an EU citizen, you could to for a weekend trip to e.g. Spain so you break your visit to Portugal into two stays of less than 90 days.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 2:52 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

This has been the situation in Spain for as long as I can remember. Thousands of Brits stayed for longer than 90 days especially over the winter. They never stayed long enough to become tax resident and certainly never left the country for a day or two to avoid the 90 day rule.

For Brits, Brexit has changed all that and the much stricter Schengen rules apply. If you are lucky enough to have an EU passport then you don’t really need to worry about the 90 day rule - no one has done for years. Just avoid the 183 day tax residency rule because that can catch you out.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
This has been the situation in Spain for as long as I can remember. Thousands of Brits stayed for longer than 90 days especially over the winter. They never stayed long enough to become tax resident and certainly never left the country for a day or two to avoid the 90 day rule.

For Brits, Brexit has changed all that and the much stricter Schengen rules apply. If you are lucky enough to have an EU passport then you don’t really need to worry about the 90 day rule - no one has done for years. Just avoid the 183 day tax residency rule because that can catch you out.
Agreed, this so called rule has never been enforced and I have never once met any EU national who has worried about leaving after 90 days. Many spend six months in Spain or Portugal during the winter or simply just take off and travel around Europe for year or so.

Bottom line, EU nationals can spend six months in other EU states, UK nationals can no longer stay for more than 90 says unless they have an EU partner.

I think a lot of Brits are trying to make themselves feel better about their dreadful loss of freedom of movement by coming up with obscure rules for EU nationals.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
Agreed, this so called rule has never been enforced and I have never once met any EU national who has worried about leaving after 90 days. Many spend six months in Spain or Portugal during the winter or simply just take off and travel around Europe for year or so.

Bottom line, EU nationals can spend six months in other EU states, UK nationals can no longer stay for more than 90 says unless they have an EU partner.

I think a lot of Brits are trying to make themselves feel better about their dreadful loss of freedom of movement by coming up with obscure rules for EU nationals.
I think a lot of Brits don’t care about freedom of movement thats why they voted for Brexit. It’s just the ones that love Europe and love to spend their money there that will get punished. It’s a win win for the British government as the money the expats/tourists spend in Spain and other places will get spent in the UK. Places like Blackpool and Morecambe have been heaving lately as people can’t be arsed with the politics and covid headaches that going abroad brings.

Last edited by Stingychips; Sep 29th 2021 at 5:11 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 5:11 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

"I think a lot of Brits don’t care about freedom of movement thats why they voted for Brexit."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha stringychips, that couldn't be further from the truth!

Now British are panicking trying to dig up a grandparent with EU oirigin, which is exactly why the Irish passport office has been inundated with applictions for Irish passports from UK citizens.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
"I think a lot of Brits don’t care about freedom of movement thats why they voted for Brexit."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha stringychips, that couldn't be further from the truth!

Now British are panicking trying to dig up a grandparent with EU oirigin, which is exactly why the Irish passport office has been inundated with applictions for Irish passports from UK citizens.
When you say “British” you are only referring to a tiny fraction of the population. The population of the UK is 60+ million.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think a lot of Brits don’t care about freedom of movement thats why they voted for Brexit. It’s just the ones that love Europe and love to spend their money there that will get punished. It’s a win win for the British government as the money the expats/tourists spend in Spain and other places will get spent in the UK. Places like Blackpool and Morecambe have been heaving lately as people can’t be arsed with the politics and covid headaches that going abroad brings.
Wow, that's a heavy dose of Brexity wishful thinking. I don't think many people would take Blackpool and Morecombe over Spain but if it makes you feel better.

Will you be cancelling your Irish passport application now?
Old Sep 29th 2021, 5:43 pm
Banned

Wow, that's a heavy dose of Brexity wishful thinking. I don't think many people would take Blackpool and Morecombe over Spain but if it makes you feel better.

DELUDED Brexity wishful thinking!
--------------------------------------------

Just googled it and came up with this...

TURNAROUND TIME FOR IRISH PASSPORTS

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/turnaround-times/

But not sure if you are applying for an Irish passport via the grandparent route, what the turnaround time might be....
Old Sep 29th 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure. I’m in no rush for it.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 6:18 pm
Banned

Stringychips why are you not in Blackpool and Morecombe, as opposed to Spain and applying for an Irish passport?

You appear to be contradicting yourself!
Old Sep 29th 2021, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Stringychips why are you not in Blackpool and Morecombe, as opposed to Spain and applying for an Irish passport?

You appear to be contradicting yourself!
Because I’m a wanderer yes I’m a wanderer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.