British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   IPTV in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/iptv-spain-941530/)

eednapes Nov 12th 2021 1:57 pm

IPTV in Spain

I'm tired of using a VPN to access Sky Sports. And then the quality is very patchy, keeps getting pixelated every minute. I did a quick research and came across this: <snip>

Any experience with it? I'm basically looking to have Sky Sports and BT. BEIN would be nice. PLus some movie channels and the BBC channels. Some American sports channels would be great too. I even have accounts with some American/Canadian channels but have the same issues I have with SKY.

Thanks

lyric030250 Nov 12th 2021 3:57 pm

Re: IPTV in Spain

And your location is ?

stevesainty Nov 12th 2021 9:27 pm

General rule of thumb, if you have a paid subscription to an IPTV service, you will get decent reception. If you rely on a firestick or similar DIY solution you will be accessing streams that have a high volume of other subscribers at peak viewing times and therefore have a much reduced quality of reception.
Case in point, we had a paid IPTV service that expired before we realised and tried to watch the Mexico grand prix on a recently purchased modified firestick, it was cr#p, buffered, pixilated and had to be refreshed dozenxs of times during the race. When we renewed our IPTV subscription, all the Sky channes were crystal clear.
You get what you pay for. Our IPTV costs us 180€ per year or 3.50€ per week, a small price to pay for good TV and so much more with boxed sets and movies.

Dxf Nov 12th 2021 9:39 pm

Hola,

I use the free RedBoxTV, TvMob Firestick as a backup, and also I have the Slamious build for everything else. All free but yes sometimes you get buffering but usually I can change to an alternate that works OK

Davexf

stevesainty Nov 12th 2021 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 13071006)
Hola,

I use the free RedBoxTV, TvMob Firestick as a backup, and also I have the Slamious build for everything else. All free but yes sometimes you get buffering but usually I can change to an alternate that works OK

Davexf

OK, I daresay enthusiasts who know what they are doing can faff around and get a decent signal for important, to oneself, transmissions. I am not a techie and like to be able to turn on the tele an watch what I have paid for without the fuss, guaranteed.

eednapes Nov 12th 2021 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by lyric030250 (Post 13070872)
And your location is ?

Barcelona.

eednapes Nov 12th 2021 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by stevesainty (Post 13071004)
General rule of thumb, if you have a paid subscription to an IPTV service, you will get decent reception. If you rely on a firestick or similar DIY solution you will be accessing streams that have a high volume of other subscribers at peak viewing times and therefore have a much reduced quality of reception.
Case in point, we had a paid IPTV service that expired before we realised and tried to watch the Mexico grand prix on a recently purchased modified firestick, it was cr#p, buffered, pixilated and had to be refreshed dozenxs of times during the race. When we renewed our IPTV subscription, all the Sky channes were crystal clear.
You get what you pay for. Our IPTV costs us 180€ per year or 3.50€ per week, a small price to pay for good TV and so much more with boxed sets and movies.

Good to know. May I ask which IPTV service did you get (the name)? Does it show all the football matches (domestic, European, cups, etc.)? Thanks.

stevesainty Nov 12th 2021 10:32 pm

Our subscription was with a local firm called Fonefix. You will probably find a company in your local through an internet search of IPTV subscriptions.
Our subscription includes all the Sky channels including top flight football games, there are also a miriad of other sports channels, along with UK terrestrial channels and lots of other European country channels. There is also 2 week catchup for UK channels. and a huge collection of up to date movied and boxed sets.

Joppa Nov 12th 2021 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by stevesainty (Post 13071023)
Our subscription was with a local firm called Fonefix. You will probably find a company in your local through an internet search of IPTV subscriptions.
Our subscription includes all the Sky channels including top flight football games, there are also a miriad of other sports channels, along with UK terrestrial channels and lots of other European country channels. There is also 2 week catchup for UK channels. and a huge collection of up to date movied and boxed sets.

How do you know if the IPTV you subscribe to is legit or not? Many streaming services have been closed down for breaching international copyright and broadcasting right. For example, it costs over £100 a month in UK to subscribe to all Sky channels and BT Sports through Sky, but if you are only paying 180 euro a year for the same channels, something isn't right?

Fred James Nov 13th 2021 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 13071037)
How do you know if the IPTV you subscribe to is legit or not?

Simple. If you can receive any channel that normally requires a subscription, it is illegal.

eednapes Nov 14th 2021 7:43 pm

So no one here has a suggestion for a specific subscription service in Barcelona?

el collado kid Nov 15th 2021 6:36 am

Originally Posted by eednapes (Post 13071672)
So no one here has a suggestion for a specific subscription service in Barcelona?

Pick up the free papers at your local shops there will be something in there.

Jon-Bxl Nov 15th 2021 7:15 am

I am no expert on this but here is a link and some quotes

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on...w-its-15572051

Paying for the (IPTV) service might make it appear to be all above boards.

However this does not make it legal. The IPTV device of your choice will contain third-party add-ons -or channels - which allow illegal access to the premium content.

Also if there's any hint of illegality, there is a danger of malware... from 'shady' companies.. after all they are open to working in an illegal space, so are more likely to have certain objectives which could involve further illegality. Cookies are annoying enough... But this is worse

However there are other risks involved. By accessing illegal streams and websites, you leave yourself open to being hacked or having malware installed.

This malware may release passwords, banking details, private information etc etc.
I would say that a VPN is essential - but I dont know if it would block malware from being loaded.

Jon

Loco Nov 17th 2021 12:58 am

Reading your original post I suspect you have a problem with your internet connection or VPN.

Try changing your VPN, or better still try a smart DNS service, offering a free trial. Also check your router is set up correctly.

Buying a IPTV subscription service will only make the situation worse and as Fred, Jon and others have said most are illegal. I would add they also disappear with great regularity.

Best
Loco

DLC Nov 18th 2021 7:45 pm

For legal sports, how about DAZN?

Seems like
if you need to.

Flyingbanana Nov 19th 2021 9:59 am

my dear departed Mother in Law had the worlds biggest satellite dish install by an expat with loads of channels but each year she had to pay him money to allow her another year of channels. It all seemed a bit suspect to me but he has not been for years now as mum passed away. When we are there & i am laid recovering from a hard days graft on the land with a whiskey, i flick through 100's of channels saying ''scrambled'. Is this cos a subscription has not been paid ? - Seriously, that satlelitte dish could have come from Alicante Airport like Only Fools and Horses episode .. remember..

normski2 Nov 20th 2021 9:43 am

what type of box have you got for the iptv?

Notdunroamin Nov 20th 2021 8:37 pm

IPTV services offering Sky normally paid for content, and more, are of course illegal and at their core consist of nothing more than banks of Sky boxes streaming their programming out to the big wide world for others to distribute.

You can generally tell which providers you can rely on firstly by whether they have catchup or not and secondly the extent of it.

To offer catchup requires a degree of financial commitment in buying servers or 3rd party storage capacity.

The service I use, and have used for approaching 4 years, offers 28 days catchup and has been 99.9% reliable. I cannot recall ever experiencing buffering and at the times in the fairly recent past when many services disappeared overnight due to police raids etc. (taking customers money with them) their service has continued without interruption.

Cost is, €15/mth or €150 if paid a year in advance which, based on their performance and dependability, I'm happy to do.

That provider is DVBLabs however a word of warning because if you're a sports fan you'll be disappointed as in that regard their content is next to nil - but that suits me just fine.

SanNico Nov 21st 2021 10:01 am

Originally Posted by DLC (Post 13073365)
For legal sports, how about DAZN?

Seems like you can switch commentary to English if you need to.

The legal and reliable option. I think we're beyond the point of needing the illegal options now, I don't understand why people keep looking for them. I'm not a sports fan but all of the legal subscription services I use for other content are in English. HBO Max, Starzplay, Apple TV, Amazon and Netflix give more than I need and are similar in cost to a basic UK Sky subscription. Probably just HBO and Starzplay would be enough.

For sports, don't forget the big international events such as the World Cup, Olympics etc. are shown on terrestrial TV for free, or at you local sports bar.

Digressing slightly, keep an eye out at the cinema for VOSE (original language with Spanish subtitles). My local cinema seem to show more VOSE than dubbed movies.

Barriej Nov 21st 2021 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SanNico (Post 13074270)
The legal and reliable option. I think we're beyond the point of needing the illegal options now, I don't understand why people keep looking for them. I'm not a sports fan but all of the legal subscription services I use for other content are in English. HBO Max, Starzplay, Apple TV, Amazon and Netflix give more than I need and are similar in cost to a basic UK Sky subscription. Probably just HBO and Starzplay would be enough.

For sports, don't forget the big international events such as the World Cup, Olympics etc. are shown on terrestrial TV for free, or at you local sports bar.

Digressing slightly, keep an eye out at the cinema for VOSE (original language with Spanish subtitles). My local cinema seem to show more VOSE than dubbed movies.

Totally agree with the above,
Although we use a VPN from Nord as the wife likes her Corrie...all on a Firestick which was €29,99
We have amazon prime spain and the tv is good €39 for the year the nord is €75 for the year.
My son in the Uk pays for Netfliks or whatever and with using the fire stick there is enough crap on there to keep the better half busy.

I watch youtube vids for stuff about the Moke as its always in pieces these days. And Ive started looking at Arduino programming to help my da in the uk with his model railway
Ive never been a big TV watcher but do like the cinema.

The one in Alfaz is greta for VOSE in fact almost all its showing are like that...

stevesainty Nov 21st 2021 9:14 pm

We have been using a paid for subscription ti an IPTV system that gives us a great clear signal to F1 and PGA golf from SKY Sports, with English commentary, which are the only 2 things we watch regularly on IPTV. We have a satellite dish to pick up the free to air UK TV stations that we also watch occasionally. We are tennis fans and have a subscription to Eurosport TV for the grand slams, and a Tennis TV subscriptrion for the other APT tennis tournaments, not really interested in womens tennis.
As we would like to stay strictly legal, I have spent several hours today trying local paid for subscriptions to F1 and PGA golf. There are no local subscription apps that will give the commentary in English, even though you can hear the English commentary underneath the Spanish commentary.
If, in the 21st century, you cannot get legal subscriptions to live sports events with English commentary then we will continue to use pseudo legal paid for subscriptions to IPTV that includes SKY content.

astera Dec 10th 2021 9:53 pm

Just how good is the picture via IPTV? Are we talking 4K, or just full HD? Is the motion/framte rate indistinguishable from watching satellite tv for instance?

stevesainty Dec 11th 2021 6:48 am

If you have a good internet connection then the programs are certainly as good a quality as the satellite received programs. We have a good internet service and a large 4k television and find the picture quality of IPTV excellent.