Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet in spain via a Trak Sattelite phone

Internet in spain via a Trak Sattelite phone

Old May 20th 2007, 6:09 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet in spain via a Trak Sattelite phone

Hi.

My dads got a satellite phone just installed and now has a landline. He says the name of the phone is a TRAK.

He gets a 0965 prefix to his home number and can get deals for so many pence per minute on a pay as you go internet connection.

Is there anything else. He is based 30miles outside alicante and his provider is telefonica for the landline satellite phone.

He is looking for something like an anytime dialup one payment a month plan, or better still if anyone knows any other way of getting internet with a satellite phone it woulkd be much apreciated.

He only wants to go on messenger and write emails and browse the web a little now and aGAIN but is happy for any package to peruse over.

I am only asking as i dont know where to start in spanish!

Thanks alot

Alan
Old May 20th 2007, 7:05 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dial up internet pr. oviders in Spain. Any cheap ones out there

Hi, my dad is after a basic dial up internet to send a few emails and talk on msn messenger

He would like a one charge a month and is happy to use at evening and weekends if this makes it cheaper but would prefer anytime usage.

Any ideas where to look or better still if anyone uses any that are cheap as chips

Cheers

alan
Old May 20th 2007, 7:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dial up internet pr. oviders in Spain. Any cheap ones out there

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi, my dad is after a basic dial up internet to send a few emails and talk on msn messenger

He would like a one charge a month and is happy to use at evening and weekends if this makes it cheaper but would prefer anytime usage.

Any ideas where to look or better still if anyone uses any that are cheap as chips

Cheers

alan
Most of this is covered by telefonica, 24/7 is about 40€ a month, but i think there are other options.
There are other providers that may be a few €`s cheaper, but telefonica are not too keen on them stealing the business, so takes longer to get fixed up and of course if there is a problem, even longer to get repàired.
If he phones Telefonica and asks for an English operator they will give him details etc.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet in spain via a Trak Sattelite phone

http://www.adslzone.net/comparativa.html

For comparison on adsl as you might as well have that, dial up will be appallingly slow in many cases, but what JDR said
Old May 20th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

He should be able to get 24/7 access through Telefonica for about €22 odd a month, + an option to call the UK "free" for 15 minutes a night for about €15 a month. The reason that Telefonica have given your Dad a Trac phone is because they do not have any physical landlines in the area, So adsl is not an option at all. A Trac phone operates using a Sim card similar to a mobile phone. Telefonica then subsidises the cost of the call to match that of a normal landline. Using the Trac phone will be fine for emails a a bit of light surfing but that's about all.
Hope this helps,
Regards
Tim
Old May 20th 2007, 8:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by valenciatim
He should be able to get 24/7 access through Telefonica for about €22 odd a month, + an option to call the UK "free" for 15 minutes a night for about €15 a month. The reason that Telefonica have given your Dad a Trac phone is because they do not have any physical landlines in the area, So adsl is not an option at all. A Trac phone operates using a Sim card similar to a mobile phone. Telefonica then subsidises the cost of the call to match that of a normal landline. Using the Trac phone will be fine for emails a a bit of light surfing but that's about all.
Hope this helps,
Regards
Tim
yes it does thanks. All the info is great. He doesnt download things

Is the 15 euros a month for the landline (so to speak) or for the dialing the uk for 15 mins, if so does he hav to have this as we can call him for free.
Will the 22 euros be just for the internet access, (and of course his line rental extra) be all he needs to browse please as and when he likes.

He is 61 and retired and only uses the internet for msn messenger and emails really. He would prob use it for looking for tickets etc and finding out things, so hopefully this will be perfect for him.

Am i right?
Al
Old May 20th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the €22 odd is for 24/7 internet access with the line rental on top. The €15 is for calls to the UK, Line rental is on top of that. Sorry, but I cannot remember what the line rental is, as I gave up my Trac phone and replaced it with 2 way satellite internet instead. When I had my Trac, there were no special deals for internet or international calls, and the internet speed was way too slow for my needs.!
Regards
Tim
Old May 20th 2007, 9:23 pm
Banned

Yes, the €22 odd is for 24/7 internet access with the line rental on top. The €15 is for calls to the UK, Line rental is on top of that. Sorry, but I cannot remember what the line rental is, as I gave up my Trac phone and replaced it with 2 way satellite internet instead. When I had my Trac, there were no special deals for internet or international calls, and the internet speed was way too slow for my needs.!
Regards
Tim
Thanks tim, will it be adequate for my dad then?

It seems so.

Thanks alot

Alan
Old May 20th 2007, 9:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Thanks tim, will it be adequate for my dad then?

It seems so.

Thanks alot

Alan

The other option is that if he has adsl he can sign up to skype and get totally free unlimited calls to the UK to someone else who is signed up to skype
Old May 20th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mitzy, If he has a Trac phone, it is because there are no landlines in the area, therefore he cannot have adsl.
regards
Tim
Old May 20th 2007, 9:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzy, If he has a Trac phone, it is because there are no landlines in the area, therefore he cannot have adsl.
regards
Tim
Oh I see ... not come accross them before
Old May 20th 2007, 10:48 pm
Banned

regards
Tim

yes, thats the case, he is miles from anywhere where his house is. He has a generator and solar power. Water from a bore hole pumped up and a gas fridge shower and heating all fom calor gas, very very rural. Nearest anything 4 miles away.

His neighbour about 200yrds up the hill on an urbanisacion has a landline but this is the easiest option for my dad, heck he aint complaining , he thought it would be years before getting anything so is very hapy woth the simcard option but with me or him knowing very little or nothing in my case, then i thought id better ask if there are any good deals out there. Be good if i spoke the language so i could browse but the 24/7 deal trelefonica does will prob suit him.

I belive there is one for evenings and weekends for about euro 15 a month i read on another thread, is this for internet or phone?

Thanks again, im off to oz to live in august and rural spain seemed a long way away until he got a landline and i bought him a laptop. We can now speak as often as possible and i wont miss him as much.

Cheers guys and especially you tim

Al