Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet,phones andTV

Internet,phones andTV

Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

annerock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet,phones andTV

Hi more questions we are moving over in March/April and now really need to start the above will be glad of any suggestions.
We have a sky plus box and a normal sky box.Should we bring these and what about the dish?

we will need internet can this be done with the telephone company or tv company
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Internet,phones andTV

Hi. Yes you can bring your sky box with you. It all depends on what part of Spain you are going to be living. As far as I know if you are any further south of Valencia you will need at least a 1.9mtr dish if you want to receive ITV and BBC channels although you can recieve UK GOLD,sky sports Bravo etc on a 0.8 metre dish.
Someone will be able to give you a more accurate answer on that but its a rough guide. Iam in the Benidorm Area and I have a 2.4mtr dish in my garden which gets almost everything 24hrs a day apart from bbc2 although I could use a 1.9 dish but bbc1 and itv would go off by midnight.

My internet is with Telefonica. Internet isnt as cheap as it is in the uk and i know in the uk you can get some cheap tv,internet and phone deals for about 30quid a month.
I have 3mb internet connection for 40 euros plus vat a month, then there is line rental so my monthly bill before I use the telephone is 60 euros just for internet and telephone. I guess you could get basic dial up internet much cheaper if you just wanted basic internet for checking your mails etc.
I like telefonica because they have an english department and I never have to wait if I want to get through to it.

Obviously other people have different ideas and answers and im just going by what I have. Be prepared to find out that the prices of phone/internet are a lot more expensive than the uk. My brother in the uk has a faster connection than me and pays £17.99 for his. Im paying more than double but there is not as much competition over here for cheap deals and most companies(jaztel,orange,ya.com,telefonica) are all the same price.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above should help, with a major caveat that if you have or buy a property in the campo, none of it may apply..... you may not be able to get a landline phone, you may not get sight of an aerial for picking up other phone signals, etc....
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy

My internet is with Telefonica.
I like telefonica because they have an english department and I never have to wait if I want to get through to it.

Hope this helps.
Telefonica do NOT have an english department, if you telephone the help number and say 'Inglesi por favor' enough times you will be put through to someone who does speak some english, but it can be a bit hit and miss as to the quality of the english the person speaks.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

English speaking department then who speak extremely good english.

Besides there is telefonicainenglish which is an english part of telefonica. ive used them a couple of times.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:42 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

re sky:
it may be an idea to move your sky card account to a freind or relatives house (preferably one withou sky but it does not amtter sometimes!), so tha you keep getting any account inforamtion and any cards that are renewed.

Dish sizes and channel availability is very dependant on where you are moving to in Spain, and then the size of dish that you can afford, and what dish size you can stand in your garden!

Sky basic and Sky+ do work here in Spain..but be careful if you have a Sky Multiroom contract...these are not really designed for Spain, and you may find that your £10pm extra card will be charged as a full subscription after a few months
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Besides there is telefonicainenglish which is an english part of telefonica. ive used them a couple of times.
Spainboy, Please do yourself a big favour and do a search on here for telefonicainenglish!!!! They are NOT part of Telefonica!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not Telefonica
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow .... what have you used them for???
As above, they are nothing to do with Telefonica, and have a reputation
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Spainboy, Please do yourself a big favour and do a search on here for telefonicainenglish!!!! They are NOT part of Telefonica!

well unless someone said then I had no idea they were not a part of telefonica.
However I do know telefonica is the only ISP that i know of that has an english speaking department.the original poster wanted advice on internet providers etc and i have dealt with and have friends deal with the likes of terra,jazztell,Ya.com and Orange and none of them have an english speaking helpline.Telefonica 1004 does and they speak good english too.
Anyone who comes to spain for the first time i would highly recommend an ISP that at least has an english department.

Can someone then please explain whoo telefonicainenglish actually are?
dont have a go at me,imm just trying to help.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:35 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
One thing that was said but not emphasised sufficiently - if you are about to buy - then check that it is actually possible to get a telephone line to your house, no matter if you are urbanised or not - telfonica do run out of lines in certain areas.
As an aside, I too have used telefonica 1004 and said "English Speaking" several times to the ansaphone message, and always got a good english speaking person to help me

Davexf
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi
One thing that was said but not emphasised sufficiently - if you are about to buy - then check that it is actually possible to get a telephone line to your house, no matter if you are urbanised or not - telfonica do run out of lines in certain areas.
As an aside, I too have used telefonica 1004 and said "English Speaking" several times to the ansaphone message, and always got a good english speaking person to help me

Davexf
it can be hit & miss - but yes, you usually can get an 'English Speaker' for the phone service on 1004

they can't help you with Internet problems though (except the initial installation) - the internet 'helpline' AFIK, has no English Speaking service
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:40 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

it may also be worth noting that although telefonicas General Enquiries can be in english, their technical department is mainly spanish only - lthough they are slowly learning!!

if you want that english helpline have alook at someone like europanetworks, or mayby euphony (sp?)
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:05 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend getting a movistar/vodafone dongle for your internet and then download skype and get a skype phone for your calls. For TV I'd bring your sky boxes over and also buy a 2.4metre dish from maplins for 200quid before you come over.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Fuzzlepop
I was thinking of changing to this.My last telefonica bill was 70 euros and I only called about 3 times in the whole month.The bulk of the bill was made up with the monthly charge of my phone line,Adsl and IVA.

do you have to have a mobile contract to get the dongle or can u just go in and get a contract? do u know the prices and are they reliable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.