Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet on a Mobile - Voda maybe - please help

Internet on a Mobile - Voda maybe - please help

Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

vamos_mi_sevilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet on a Mobile - Voda maybe - please help

I living now on a mountain, I will only be spending one week out of every 4 in Spain, It is not possible for me to get a landline and the expense of Satalite is too much, at the moment I have to travel down to the local cafe in Villajoyasa

Can somebody tell me exactly what I need to achieve mobile broadband preferably on PAYG, I have googled through the forum but do still not understand.

I have currently a PAYG Phone with Vodafone
I have a Decent Dell Laptop

The PAYG Manual mentions about Broadband on the phone but I still dont understand it.

Im told a HSDPA Card is what I need but also told only to buy one in Spain, is this correct ??

Do I put the mobile phone sim in the HSDPA Card.

I really need to sort this out before I come over again this weekend. Anyone who has a current setup they want to sell or advise me in any way please do. Include where I need to go what I need to spend and how I do it, I dont understand the Vodafone websiter or manual regarding this.
Ta

Oh and I dont want to be subject to a monthly Charge, Only PAYG is possible for me due to time in Spain

Last edited by vamos_mi_sevilla; Aug 21st 2008 at 5:53 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet on a Mobile - Voda maybe - please help

Originally Posted by vamos_mi_sevilla
I living now on a mountain, I will only be spending one week out of every 4 in Spain, It is not possible for me to get a landline and the expense of Satalite is too much, at the moment I have to travel down to the local cafe in Villajoyasa

Can somebody tell me exactly what I need to achieve mobile broadband preferably on PAYG, I have googled through the forum but do still not understand.

I have currently a PAYG Phone with Vodafone
I have a Decent Dell Laptop

The PAYG Manual mentions about Broadband on the phone but I still dont understand it.

Im told a HSDPA Card is what I need but also told only to buy one in Spain, is this correct ??

Do I put the mobile phone sim in the HSDPA Card.

I really need to sort this out before I come over again this weekend. Anyone who has a current setup they want to sell or advise me in any way please do. Include where I need to go what I need to spend and how I do it, I dont understand the Vodafone websiter or manual regarding this.
Ta

Oh and I dont want to be subject to a monthly Charge, Only PAYG is possible for me due to time in Spain
All mobile providers offer mobile broadband and I believe they all offer PAYG in various forms. Some of the monthly options aren't expensive (say, €10/month), so it will almost certainly be cheaper compared to PAYG as overall it may be cheaper depending on usage.

If you're up in the mountains, then definately check the coverage - no good getting a Vodafone card and then finding you can't get a Vodafone signal. Or getting an Orange card to find that it's only 2.5G in your area whereas Movistar is 3G.

To get a card on contract, you'll need passport and an NIE + bank details.

Don't buy in the UK - you'll probably find it's locked to the UK network so you may not be able to use it in Spain or only at 50,000 times the cost.

The USB cards are very good - far better than trying to use your phone (for one thing, you may not be able to use the phone whilst you're on the net!). They generally come complete with the software on-board - so no messing with drivers and losing the CDs, etc.

Hope that helps...!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by twyntub
All mobile providers offer mobile broadband and I believe they all offer PAYG in various forms. Some of the monthly options aren't expensive (say, €10/month), so it will almost certainly be cheaper compared to PAYG as overall it may be cheaper depending on usage.

If you're up in the mountains, then definately check the coverage - no good getting a Vodafone card and then finding you can't get a Vodafone signal. Or getting an Orange card to find that it's only 2.5G in your area whereas Movistar is 3G.

To get a card on contract, you'll need passport and an NIE + bank details.

Don't buy in the UK - you'll probably find it's locked to the UK network so you may not be able to use it in Spain or only at 50,000 times the cost.

The USB cards are very good - far better than trying to use your phone (for one thing, you may not be able to use the phone whilst you're on the net!). They generally come complete with the software on-board - so no messing with drivers and losing the CDs, etc.

Hope that helps...!
I have no problem with any mobile reception where I am, its awesome for that on any network.

Can you please explain a bit more - the USB business, the only problem I have is undertsanding how I activate it from my PAYG phone

Where would I buy what I need Eroski, Carrefour or a Carphhone Warehouse type shop
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vamos_mi_sevilla
I have no problem with any mobile reception where I am, its awesome for that on any network.

Can you please explain a bit more - the USB business, the only problem I have is undertsanding how I activate it from my PAYG phone

Where would I buy what I need Eroski, Carrefour or a Carphhone Warehouse type shop
You say you get awesome reception on any network, but is it 3G for all or just some? If it's only 2.5G they you'll get 56k not broadband speeds.

As I say, forget the PAYG phone idea. Aside from the fact it's so fiddly, PAYG voice tariffs are rarely good for data. They're designed for downloading the odd football score, so if you're on the wrong tariff you'll be paying hundreds of euros a month just being tethered.

Go to a movistar / vodafone / orange shop and ask for a "kit Internet movil" on the movistar / vodafone / orange network. All networks use the same Huawei E220 Modem. This has a USB connection - this plugs into the USB port of your PC. When you plug it in, your PC will download the software from the card. You then press 'connect' and that's it. No driver CDs to lose. No *#99# numbers to set up in dial-up networking. No APNs to configure. No bloated phone software to install. No mobile-phone-specific lead to lose.

BUT DO CHECK THE TARIFFS. PAYG is really only for occasional use, monthly tariffs may well work out €€€'s cheaper - depends entirely on your data requirements.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by twyntub
You say you get awesome reception on any network, but is it 3G for all or just some? If it's only 2.5G they you'll get 56k not broadband speeds.

As I say, forget the PAYG phone idea. Aside from the fact it's so fiddly, PAYG voice tariffs are rarely good for data. They're designed for downloading the odd football score, so if you're on the wrong tariff you'll be paying hundreds of euros a month just being tethered.

Go to a movistar / vodafone / orange shop and ask for a "kit Internet movil" on the movistar / vodafone / orange network. All networks use the same Huawei E220 Modem. This has a USB connection - this plugs into the USB port of your PC. When you plug it in, your PC will download the software from the card. You then press 'connect' and that's it. No driver CDs to lose. No *#99# numbers to set up in dial-up networking. No APNs to configure. No bloated phone software to install. No mobile-phone-specific lead to lose.

BUT DO CHECK THE TARIFFS. PAYG is really only for occasional use, monthly tariffs may well work out €€€'s cheaper - depends entirely on your data requirements.
Thanks, I will do that and post back should I have further trouble
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

I looked into this a couple of months ago.

You need a 3g modem from vodafone, like this : http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/user_image...640_x_480).jpg

You then put your PAYG (data activated, so it will be a different SIM to what you have now) in the modem, which then connects to your laptop via USB.

You then buy bandwidth, which is:

19€ - 75Mb
39€ - 200Mb
59€ - 1Gb

These are valid for 3 months.

Hope that helps, you can pick this up from a Vodafone store in Spain.