Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

International driving permit for UK after Brexit

International driving permit for UK after Brexit

Old Oct 1st 2019, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International driving permit for UK after Brexit

I will be driving to the UK in December and would imagine by then I will need an international driving permit. Would be grateful if anybody can let me know how I apply for one , I presume I would have to go to traffico . What paperwork do I need to take with me and once applied for how long does it take to get the actual permit ? Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 7:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International driving permit for UK after Brexit

If you hold a Spanish driving licence then you won’t need an IDP when visiting the UK.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

I do have a Spanish driving licence I just thought that as the UK will be no longer in the EU after Brexit I would need an international permit ?
Old Oct 1st 2019, 8:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

EU drivers visiting the UK after Brexit

Drivers from EU and EEA countries will not need to carry an IDP when visiting the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-...k-after-brexit
Old Oct 1st 2019, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you..
Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Only if UK has left the EU without a deal.

So much for reciprocity though because with a UK licence you'll definitely need an IDP to drive in Spain - and not the same one you'll need if you choose to drive down through France either !

Any bets they'll bring back the bail bond ?
Old Oct 1st 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Only if UK has left the EU without a deal.
It’s not required with or without a Withdrawal Agreement.

So much for reciprocity though because with a UK licence you'll definitely need an IDP to drive in Spain - and not the same one you'll need if you choose to drive down through France either !

Any bets they'll bring back the bail bond ?
You’ll only need an IDP to drive in Spain if you’re staying for longer than six months which is similar to the situation in most other EU countries. The French are, predictably, being difficult and you’ll need a 1968 IDP to drive with your UK licence. I’ve already secured mine.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 8:05 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It’s not required with or without a Withdrawal Agreement.

You’ll only need an IDP to drive in Spain if you’re staying for longer than six months which is similar to the situation in most other EU countries. The French are, predictably, being difficult and you’ll need a 1968 IDP to drive with your UK licence. I’ve already secured mine.
They are not exactly difficult to get
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by thegolfer
They are not exactly difficult to get
Indeed! Quick trip to the Post Office; valid for three years as well.