Old Mar 1st 2022, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Lefty2021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting info on buying a car in Spain

I never realised how much red tape there was in buying a car in Spain 😯

https://www.expatica.com/es/living/t...xO5TkNo4FPSAJs
Old Mar 1st 2022, 10:21 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting info on buying a car in Spain

I gave this a read and when buying a used car the bit that jumped out at was as if by way of a surprise it suggested that you would need to:
  • Handle all the paperwork involved in the sale yourself
  • You will not have a warranty in case something goes wrong.
  • Sellers have been known to hide problems from potential buyers, including altering the odometer or not disclosing previous problems or accidents. As a result, it’s not uncommon to take a car to a mechanic for a full inspection (toda prueba) before purchase.
  • You could also request a report (informe extendido del vehículo) from the Directorate-General for Traffic (Dirección General de Tráfico), Spain’s traffic authority. It will tell you the car’s history.
  • You should note that you could be liable for outstanding loans and unpaid tickets.
  • It’s wise to check that the car hasn’t been involved in major accidents; that its service history matches what’s on the clock; and that servicing has been carried out by an authorized dealer.
On points 2 and 4 seems like this article is out of date as now sellers are liable for faults if the private seller agrees to this.

Regardless, having bought lots of cars over the years in the UK all the above is routine and the checks so you don't simply end up with a pig in a poke!

Old Mar 1st 2022, 10:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I bought both used and new while in Spain, in each case all I needed to do was to appear with proof of who I was, my padron and the money, everything else was done by the dealer, and I just went about a week later and picked up my car. It was really no different to getting a car in the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2022, 10:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I bought both used and new while in Spain, in each case all I needed to do was to appear with proof of who I was, my padron and the money, everything else was done by the dealer, and I just went about a week later and picked up my car. It was really no different to getting a car in the UK.
Only proof of address is required - it doesn't have to be the padron certificate.

The difference is when you buy from a private seller.
Old Mar 1st 2022, 11:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Only proof of address is required - it doesn't have to be the padron certificate.

The difference is when you buy from a private seller.
As is usual here in Spain the need for the Padron certificate depends on the dealer. Some ask for it and others do not. When I bought my car I was asked for it so I tested them out by passing them my old one which produced a frown so I laughed and gave them the up to date one which I had procured just in case.

Rosemary
Old Mar 1st 2022, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Mikelincs - I had the same experience.

Not for this reason but for other issues I will not be buying again as I plan to lease in the future.
Old Mar 1st 2022, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Have purchased two cars in less than two years here and both times it was simple.

First time from a dealer who, as we were non resident only needed ,my passport, Uk drivers licence and proof of address (took electric bill) and NIE.
Nothing more, in fact he said the the Padron was and has never been needed but some car sales ask because its the nearest beat official proof of address (but not being resident means you should not be on it)..

Second car last August a classic purchased through a private sale but via a local dealer who charged the seller a fee to do the paperwork. (the dealer got to have the car on his forecourt for advertising for free).
Again as resident now, still no Padron asked for just my TIE and proof of address.
Because the car was originally registered in Mercia it took a couple of months to receive the owners card, as the car had to be moved to Alicante's systems.