Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Insurance for foreign registered cars/quads etc.,

Insurance for foreign registered cars/quads etc.,

Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

sueandterry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance for foreign registered cars/quads etc.,

I have a friend who wants to bring his UK registered quad bike over to Spain, so that he can use it here, rather than bring his car over... but he is having a lot of trouble getting anybody to insure it... UK won't allow it, and Spain don't want to know... Has anybody had the same experience? He already has a UK Reg CAR insured in Spain with Ibex, but they won't touch a quad bike !! What on EARTH is the DIFFERENCE ??? I said I would ask the question ??? So if there are any insurance companies here who will do this, he would be interested, but if not, he will just re-register it on Spanish Plates... (any advice on this would be welcome too... ) cheap as poss.... Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance for foreign registered cars/quads etc.,

I wish I knew the keywords to suggest to run the most efficient search, but there's been a mountain of stuff about this subject (vehicles in general)....as to quads, I can't see how it's going to be any different, if it's road legal?
Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:33 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueandterry
I have a friend who wants to bring his UK registered quad bike over to Spain, so that he can use it here, rather than bring his car over... but he is having a lot of trouble getting anybody to insure it... UK won't allow it, and Spain don't want to know... Has anybody had the same experience? He already has a UK Reg CAR insured in Spain with Ibex, but they won't touch a quad bike !! What on EARTH is the DIFFERENCE ??? I said I would ask the question ??? So if there are any insurance companies here who will do this, he would be interested, but if not, he will just re-register it on Spanish Plates... (any advice on this would be welcome too... ) cheap as poss.... Thanks.
Quite a lot of difference, as the quad is a motorbike with four wheels (to state the obvious) and the likes of Ibex etc are geared to insuring cars that are relatively low risk compared to a quad bike (I guess ?)
It would have to be re registered here to get a Spanish company to insure it, but the question arises would it be worth the effort ?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:52 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueandterry
Without wishing to rake up the past, Spanish insurance on a UK registered car is only valid for a very few months. After that it's not worth the paper it's written on - they may or may NOT pay out.

Why not do the legal thing and register the vehicles in Spain then insurance is not an issue!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.expatinsuranceinspain.com , they seem to be able to insure most things UK registered.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Without wishing to rake up the past, Spanish insurance on a UK registered car is only valid for a very few months. After that it's not worth the paper it's written on - they may or may NOT pay out.Why not do the legal thing and register the vehicles in Spain then insurance is not an issue!

Load of rubbish .
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Can anyone recommend an insurance agent in the Malaga area that will insure UK reg car, right hand drive, drivers are over 40 and over 60.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Load of rubbish .

No ... no, not necessarily
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No ... no, not necessarily
Yes it is, you can get 12 month policys on UK reg cars which you will be invited to renew every year and they do pay out, I`m talking from experience.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
Can anyone recommend an insurance agent in the Malaga area that will insure UK reg car, right hand drive, drivers are over 40 and over 60.
Why in the Malaga area?
By phone or these days by internet gives you more choice than an agent can.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

The Malaga area purely because we are moving to Alhaurin.

We can cover our car on our UK insurance for about 3 months. What I do not want is not to be insured.

I understand that we can do it over the net but I am not sure if they are reliable, legal or regulated so in the event of an accident whether by use or to us I want to know we are protected.

Surely the best cover is one recommended by people who have used it and have it.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

I have insured with Ibex and Liberty Seguros in the past and they both have policies that are valid for 12 months and are also on the Motor Insurance Database in the UK - which means you can tax your Uk car online if needed. In fact when I had insurance with Ibex I took the Insurance Cert into a UK post office and they re taxed - no problem
Old Mar 19th 2010, 4:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Yes it is, you can get 12 month policys on UK reg cars which you will be invited to renew every year and they do pay out, I`m talking from experience.

No its not. It depends on the circumstances, so although possible in some cases, its not in all cases. Just read through the past threads
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:55 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No its not. It depends on the circumstances, so although possible in some cases, its not in all cases. Just read through the past threads
Thanks Mitzy. Once again the voice of reason and common sense.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Thanks Mitzy. Once again the voice of reason and common sense.
...er, dare I say ladders? Nah, didn't think so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.