Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Insurance companies for use in Spain

Insurance companies for use in Spain

Old May 24th 2017, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Apple1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance companies for use in Spain

Can anyone give me any good companys that offer insurance for use of my car in spain please

ive tried andrew copeland

any advice welcome please ...
Old May 24th 2017, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance companies for use in Spain

What does your current insurer say?

Is it Spanish car or a UK registered car?
Old May 24th 2017, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

hi sorry its a uk car ... current insurance exp tonight but they want 800 pounds im 40 year old with 6 years ncd .... so im wondering if there is any other companies that offer ex pat insurance
Old May 24th 2017, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the car in Spain permanently?

If so you are required to transfer to Spanish plates

What about MOT & tax
Old May 24th 2017, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

its taxed and mot ... and im looking for cover for use for longer then 6 months
Old May 24th 2017, 10:50 am
Account Closed

As far as I understand it if your car is in Spain for 6 months or longer in any given 12 month period you have an obligation to transfer to Spanish plates

Not sure you will find a insurance company but you could try linea direct or We are THE ORIGINAL expat insurance in Spain website
Old May 24th 2017, 4:35 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

@Tadd1966 is correct. You MUST matriculate your car to Spanish plates. It is only allowed in Spain for a maximum of 6 months in a 12 month period - after that it needs to be trailered back to UK or scrapped.

Soooo, best to get it back to UK before 6 months or start the matriculation process.
Old May 25th 2017, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
As far as I understand it if your car is in Spain for 6 months or longer in any given 12 month period you have an obligation to transfer to Spanish plates

Not sure you will find a insurance company but you could try linea direct or We are THE ORIGINAL expat insurance in Spain website
Thanks for your help everyone I ended up paying for British insurance again 700 pound really over priced tpft cover with 90 days euro cover. I'll have to find a Spanish company while I'm there and move everything over does that cost a lot to transfer it all over to Spanish plates ?
Old May 25th 2017, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
@Tadd1966 is correct. You MUST matriculate your car to Spanish plates. It is only allowed in Spain for a maximum of 6 months in a 12 month period - after that it needs to be trailered back to UK or scrapped.

Soooo, best to get it back to UK before 6 months or start the matriculation process.
I thought that the necessity to transfer to Spanish plates was only if the owner was in Spain for more than 6 months not the car.
However the car will require a UK MOT which limits it's stay to a maximum of 12 months before returning it to UK.
Old May 25th 2017, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I thought that the necessity to transfer to Spanish plates was only if the owner was in Spain for more than 6 months not the car.
However the car will require a UK MOT which limits it's stay to a maximum of 12 months before returning it to UK.
I am not sure it is that black and white. I would contact DVLA for the correct info.

Driving back to UK once a year for an MOT would be costly so why not simply buy a Spanish car?
Old May 25th 2017, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Well I'll use it for 6 months then transfer to Spanish plates and get a Spanish mot simple I don't need to return then right? What about crossing into Gibraltar that's uk land ain't it would that not be classed as a return to uk soil
Old May 25th 2017, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Apple1
Well I'll use it for 6 months then transfer to Spanish plates and get a Spanish mot simple I don't need to return then right? What about crossing into Gibraltar that's uk land ain't it would that not be classed as a return to uk soil
Gib has their own car registration system separate from UK with similar rules to UK, Spain and all other EU states for imported cars so no MOT facility for UK registered cars.

Hope 6 months works for you and good luck but IMO you are taking a risk

Have you looked onto the cost of transferring plates, it may be easier to trade your UK car in for a Spanish car many expat used car sales will do this
Old May 25th 2017, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
I am not sure it is that black and white. I would contact DVLA for the correct info.

Driving back to UK once a year for an MOT would be costly so why not simply buy a Spanish car?
I was thinking more along the lines of someone who might want to visit a number of times in a 12 month period but never again after that for whatever reason.

Not someone who is planning to remain on a more permanent basis.
Not necessarily the OP
Old May 26th 2017, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I was thinking more along the lines of someone who might want to visit a number of times in a 12 month period but never again after that for whatever reason.

Not someone who is planning to remain on a more permanent basis.
Not necessarily the OP
Fred - fair comment but I still think bringing a UK to Spain (or any other country) from the UK permanently by a resident or non resident without re registering is against the rules.

I am not 100% and have seen no official document clearly saying this via DVLA or traffico in Spain or anywhere else and I think it is misreading the rules

It makes no sense to have one rule for a resident of Spain bringing an export into Spain vs a non Spanish resident (i.e. a UK resident) bringing an export into Spain
Old May 26th 2017, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that would be within the rules? Say holiday home owner with fully legally uk registered taxed MOTd car can be in Spain on UK plates so long as the owner registered keeper is not there more than the 183 days. I would presume when keeper not there the car must be off a public road. Surely it is the fact that after 183 in Spain the keeper would become fiscal resident and should be vehicle matriculated over. Of course this is not what op wants to do as intending being there over 183 days. Also I doubt many holiday home owners would want to keep the car on UK plates having to go back and forth to UK for mot's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.