insurance

Old Sep 24th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Question insurance for therapists in europe

I am a qualified holistic therapist and a member of the Federation of Holistic Therapists and fully insured to practise in UK. However I have enquired through the FHT to see if it's possible to extend my insurance to cover me in Europe but they have said no.
Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover me in Spain as I think I may have found a job opportunity !
Countryboy I think you are a massage therapist.....who is your insurance with?
Mary

Last edited by maryg; Sep 24th 2005 at 7:44 pm. Reason: clarify title
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: insurance for therapists in europe

Yes I am a Holistic Massage Threapist and I was with the FHT they covered me for my first three or four months while I got set up hear, I am now insured by a company called "Mapfre" they do all sorts of insurance, loans, etc. My payment is 97 euros for three million euros cover.

Check out their web site here

There are other Insurance companies that will give you cover here in Spain so you could do a check on the search providers like Google ect.

Good luck

David SR
Old Sep 25th 2005, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Thanks for the info Countryboy.....The FHT were quite off hand and the person I spoke to was most unhelpful when I enquired about insurance providers in Europe.
How are you doing with holistics? Is it popular with both Spanish and the English? What would a reasonable price be for a reflexology session of about an hour?
When you say 97 euros...is that per annum? sorry to sound thick but I don't really know what premiums are like for therapists in Spain. I currently pay £48.00 per year with the FHT.
Cheers!
Mary
Old Sep 27th 2005, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hello Mary,

Yes 97€ is per annum, it is about £70 give or take a few quid, I treat both English and Spanish, but you have to remember that the pay structure for the Spanish here is lower than the English so I set my prices to that, for a one hour session of a relaxing massage I charge 25 € then my rates get lower depending what ailments I treat, say for example lower back/full back would be around 18 € These prices include home visits in my local Inland town, I do work some of the time on the coast I charge more, my prices start from 20€ and my top price would be 45€ as I have to spend the whole day on the coast where the cost of living is much higher then Inland I would say about 32% higher.

It is difficult to get Spanish clients unless you can Speak Spanish, It has taken me around two years to gain the confidence of my Spanish clients and to be able to comunicate with them but once you have made a client relax you have a friend for life, It is different with the German, and French they treat you as a therapist and you have your place in their social structure, the British however are quite friendly and will accept you from the start.

You must be able, as I have said before, be able to speak Spanish to gain the Spanish clients, and to be able to comunicate on a social level to be accepted fully in their social lives.

I do hope this has not put you off it was hard for me at first but keep taking small bites out of that large Elephant and you will be able to finish it to use an old saying.

Good luck.

David.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks....you've been most helpful!

I can get by in Spanish and am back at college for level 2, but I do supplement my lessons using cd's at home. I find that when I'm actually out there I do much better with my spoken Spanish purely because I have to try so much harder. I haven't met any yet in our town that speaks fluent English other than the language school teacher. I'm sure there are a few more Brits dotted about and I dare say we'll bump into them in good time.
Thanks again countryboy....
mary