Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Inheritance worry , cant find answers anywhere

Inheritance worry , cant find answers anywhere

Old Apr 10th 2015, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Curiouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inheritance worry , cant find answers anywhere

I would be most grateful if any knowledgeable person could tell me what Lawyers and Accountants in my area or the internet cant so i can actually make a start with dealing with a UK inheritance declaration in Spain .
I have been tax resident in Andlucia for 10 years and recently had an inheritance of €300,000 , exceeding the €175,000 allowance so tax is due on all of it .

I can make a deed of variation in the UK and legitimately divert 50% to my child leaving me with €150,000 , the UK government website even tells me that its a common a practice that is and accepted by the revenue but will the Spanish Hasienda accept it or tell me they still view it that i inherited €300,000 and tax me on the lot .

Would also be good to know if i can actually receive the Andlucia allowance . There was no will however we had no problems dealing with the UK taxman and there was very little documentation as it was self assessed and my brother was the administrator, the UK taxman can ask for proof of everything if he wants so we have it but seems unlikely he will as valuations are either already known to them from other means or they presume that bank account balances and stocks and share prices are easy to establish and would be pointless trying to undervalue them . I am assuming this will now give me problems with the hasienda and they could ask for things i simply cant provide . I read that they give you just 10 days to supply anything they ask for which wouldn't be possible as anything i could supply would have to come to me from a third party such as UK revenue .

There seems to be a lot of information online or from lawyers here on either Resident or non residents inheriting Spanish estates but nothing substantial on a Spanish resident inheriting a UK estate from a None resident who has never even been to Spain except a couple of pieces about inheriting Real estate outside spain , in that case the Heir pays inheritance tax based on the region of Spain they live . Lack of information i think stems from the fact that before the Modelo 720 requirement the hasienda were not concerned about inheritances from outside Spain , only the parts of an estate that were in Spain .

In a nutshell i need to know if a UK deed of variation is accept here as it is in the UK and will i be allowed to receive the Andlucia tax allowance if i accept a sum below the threshold of €175,000 . It would be nice to know what the hasienda will want from me if anyone has been through it themselves but at the moment the other 2 query's are more pressing .

Last edited by Curiouse; Apr 10th 2015 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Bad Grammar
Old Apr 10th 2015, 9:55 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inheritance worry , cant find answers anywhere

Hola and Welcome to the forum

Blevins Franks are a well known financial advisor and know how to shelter things from the tax man

Davexf
Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curiouse
I would be most grateful if any knowledgeable person could tell me what Lawyers and Accountants in my area or the internet cant so i can actually make a start with dealing with a UK inheritance declaration in Spain .
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Following the EU court decision last year you should be able to claim the same allowances as any Andaluz resident. That means going through the regional process rather than the state process as before the EU decision. You will need to ask your local Hacienda office. It all seems up in the air at the moment.

There's quite a lot of info on the web. Google 'sucesiones en el extranjero'

As far as I know, the concept of a variation doesn't exist here and might be viewed by Hacienda as an attempt to evade tax. However, I would advise getting one on nice solicitor's paper, which they may accept depending on what side of bed the person dealing with it got out of that morning. You have nothing to lose.

You have to present the information within six months of the death. I recommend collecting all the required documentation and give it to Hacienda. There is a MODULO (650 I think) but as far as I know you are not obliged to complete it. Let them do it using the info you have presented. It could take them up to 3 years to do so!!!! and you will have covered your back.

Good Luck
Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Inheritance worry , cant find answers anywhere

I have been tax resident in Andlucia for 10 years and recently had an inheritance of €300,000 , exceeding the €175,000 allowance so tax is due on all of it .

I can make a deed of variation in the UK and legitimately divert 50% to my child leaving me with €150,000 , the UK government website even tells me that its a common a practice that is and accepted by the revenue but will the Spanish Hasienda accept it or tell me they still view it that i inherited €300,000 and tax me on the lot .

Would also be good to know if i can actually receive the Andlucia allowance . There was no will however we had no problems dealing with the UK taxman and there was very little documentation as it was self assessed and my brother was the administrator, the UK taxman can ask for proof of everything if he wants so we have it but seems unlikely he will as valuations are either already known to them from other means or they presume that bank account balances and stocks and share prices are easy to establish and would be pointless trying to undervalue them . I am assuming this will now give me problems with the hasienda and they could ask for things i simply cant provide . I read that they give you just 10 days to supply anything they ask for which wouldn't be possible as anything i could supply would have to come to me from a third party such as UK revenue .

There seems to be a lot of information online or from lawyers here on either Resident or non residents inheriting Spanish estates but nothing substantial on a Spanish resident inheriting a UK estate from a None resident who has never even been to Spain except a couple of pieces about inheriting Real estate outside spain , in that case the Heir pays inheritance tax based on the region of Spain they live . Lack of information i think stems from the fact that before the Modelo 720 requirement the hasienda were not concerned about inheritances from outside Spain , only the parts of an estate that were in Spain .

In a nutshell i need to know if a UK deed of variation is accept here as it is in the UK and will i be allowed to receive the Andlucia tax allowance if i accept a sum below the threshold of €175,000 . It would be nice to know what the hasienda will want from me if anyone has been through it themselves but at the moment the other 2 query's are more pressing .
Have you had probate? If not then you have not inherited anything yet that only occurs when probate is granted which can take from about a month to several years and cost a fortune in bank or solicitors fees.
If you have not received probate you can execute a deed of variation and this is well explained on the HMRC website. It is very easy to do we did it ourselves for my MIL's estate and did the probate as well so costs were just a few printed pages. Saved a fortune in costs.
We " missed a generation " my wife inherited nothing and the estate passed directly to our children. This is common and was advised by the solicitor who proved my mothers estate some years ago so we just did it ourselves. HMRC & Probate Office both accepted it without question.
There are no tax implications in Spain since although we are both tax resident here neither of have inherited a cent in our lives and we shall follow this procedure again if we have to.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Have you had probate? If not then you have not inherited anything yet that only occurs when probate is granted which can take from about a month to several years and cost a fortune in bank or solicitors fees.
If you have not received probate you can execute a deed of variation and this is well explained on the HMRC website. It is very easy to do we did it ourselves for my MIL's estate and did the probate as well so costs were just a few printed pages. Saved a fortune in costs.
We " missed a generation " my wife inherited nothing and the estate passed directly to our children. This is common and was advised by the solicitor who proved my mothers estate some years ago so we just did it ourselves. HMRC & Probate Office both accepted it without question.
There are no tax implications in Spain since although we are both tax resident here neither of have inherited a cent in our lives and we shall follow this procedure again if we have to.
I think you can execute a deed of variation up to 2 years after the death and even after probate ( the process which validates the will ). In my case, probate took 6 weeks.
Hacienda start the clock ticking at the day of death and if you don't present within 6 months you face a fine. They are an unreasonable bunch and the list of documents they require is bonkers.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mustard
I think you can execute a deed of variation up to 2 years after the death and even after probate ( the process which validates the will ). In my case, probate took 6 weeks.
Hacienda start the clock ticking at the day of death and if you don't present within 6 months you face a fine. They are an unreasonable bunch and the list of documents they require is bonkers.
HMRC give you two years to execute the deed of variationAnd do not impose any penalties if it is after probate or before. I am sure the Hacienda will be more circumspect if you have proved the will and probate is granted they will regard that event as you inheriting the full amount. Retrospectively varying the will may then be regarded as you evading the Spanish tax charge. Having said all that how the hell would they know anything about all this unless you tell them!
Old Apr 11th 2015, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Curiouse is an unknown quantity at this point

EsuriJohn , would be interest in knowing when your MIL passed away as before the modelo 720 there was no obligation to declare assets or increases to outside Spain so doubt anyone did or they would have been taxed on them . Think thats why there is so little information from people who have been through the system .

If you did a DoV then as far as the UK is concerned its clear the inheritance is treated as its never been yours to give away , its deemed to go directly from the estate to your kids so on that basis i dont know if it has to be declared or not , i may be wrong but i assume you didnt , wish you had as you would have had what im looking for , 1st hand experience .

My sibling is dealing with probate as the inheritance is classed as an Exepmpt estate due to the fact we transferred 100% of my fathers unused allowance and i easily covered the estate value so am ready to apply for Administration to the Probate office , after its granted its just a matter of emptying accounts , selling shares and a small chalet that we already have buyer for so everything was assessed by us extremely accurately , the only changes to value will be the addition of share dividends , and deductions of utility bills and as it has no effect on our IHT situation we dont even have to show them although naturally the revenue can if thy wish ask for supporting evidence for everything which we already have prepared in one envelope its that straight forward .

I could return to the UK and have a solicitor to do a DoV anytime , before or after probate so It looks like the crucial piece of information i still lack is how the Hasienda officially treat a DoV . I can decide to do as you did on the whole amount i inherit if there is no requirement to declare it , that would be the simplest option if thats the case or if there is now that im sure i will have the advantage of Andlucial allowances i might just as well do it for 50% .
Old Apr 11th 2015, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn , would be interest in knowing when your MIL passed away as before the modelo 720 there was no obligation to declare assets or increases to outside Spain so doubt anyone did or they would have been taxed on them . Think thats why there is so little information from people who have been through the system .

If you did a DoV then as far as the UK is concerned its clear the inheritance is treated as its never been yours to give away , its deemed to go directly from the estate to your kids so on that basis i dont know if it has to be declared or not , i may be wrong but i assume you didnt , wish you had as you would have had what im looking for , 1st hand experience .

My sibling is dealing with probate as the inheritance is classed as an Exepmpt estate due to the fact we transferred 100% of my fathers unused allowance and i easily covered the estate value so am ready to apply for Administration to the Probate office , after its granted its just a matter of emptying accounts , selling shares and a small chalet that we already have buyer for so everything was assessed by us extremely accurately , the only changes to value will be the addition of share dividends , and deductions of utility bills and as it has no effect on our IHT situation we dont even have to show them although naturally the revenue can if thy wish ask for supporting evidence for everything which we already have prepared in one envelope its that straight forward .

I could return to the UK and have a solicitor to do a DoV anytime , before or after probate so It looks like the crucial piece of information i still lack is how the Hasienda officially treat a DoV . I can decide to do as you did on the whole amount i inherit if there is no requirement to declare it , that would be the simplest option if thats the case or if there is now that im sure i will have the advantage of Andlucial allowances i might just as well do it for 50% .
Jan 2014. The estate was exempt so we did not need to do a full submission with details. However as you we collected everything together in one envelope and are still ready for any investigation should HMRC DECIDE TO TAKE A LOOK. We also prepared a deed of variation and submitted that along with all the other documentation to the probate although it it was not strictly required. Finding a model for the deed was not easy but diligent work on Google and careful reading of the HMRC SITE and others gave us enough to word it correctly. The delays in our case arose because MIL had severe dementia and my wife had POA which of course stopped on death so the banks and brokers who had been very accommodating before the event suddenly became very defensive and wanted everything signed in blood in triplicate.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

2 years ago I asked 'informally', a well -informed family contact (who works in this dept. of Hacienda ) if he thought a variation would be accepted. He said he had never heard of the concept but thought probably not.

We should remember that inheritance law here is totally different. In the UK the tax is assessed on the estate, and once it has been paid I suppose that HMRC don't care who gets what's left.

In Spain, each heir is assessed individually, according to their relationship to the deceased, their existing wealth, their autonomous community and their residency status or that of the deceased. It's all a microcosm of the chaotic Spanish system. The EU decision last year has somewhat levelled the playing field for ex-pats.

Also the world has changed since Modulo720. Before it I imagine no one would have considered declaring an inheritance but now the draconian penalties for non-declaration of assets held abroad have changed things. Hacienda weren't prepared for it's implications and the EU ruling has muddied the waters even more.

If you go ahead and declare here are the documents you will need as told to me by Hacienda

Original y copia simple de la Escritura de Aceptación de Herencia.(si se hace)
En su defecto, el Inventario de Bienes y Herederos, por duplicado, en el que se señalen los datos identificativos del causante y los herederos, la designación de un domicilio a efectos de notificaciones, relación detallada de los bienes y derechos objeto de la herencia con expresión del valor de los mismos a la fecha de fallecimiento, así como de las cargas, deudas y gastos cuya deducción se solicita.
Copia del Certificado de Defunción.
Copia del Testamento o de la Declaración de Herederos.
Otra documentación a aportar, en su caso:
· Copia del recibo del IBI (Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles), y del título de adquisición de los inmuebles, o en su defecto Nota Simple Registral.
Certificado del banco con expresión de los saldos de las cuentas y /o valores depositados, a la fecha de fallecimiento.
Justificación documental de las cargas, gravámenes, deudas y gastos que sean deducibles, así como de la edad de los herederos.
Copia del pasaporte, documento de identidad, o del certificado del Número de Identificación de Extranjeros (NIE) de los herederos.

Incidentally, I submitted these documents 18 months ago and I'm still waiting for them to tell me how much I owe. But , Spain is different!
Old Apr 12th 2015, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mustard
2 years ago I asked 'informally', a well -informed family contact (who works in this dept. of Hacienda ) if he thought a variation would be accepted. He said he had never heard of the concept but thought probably not.

We should remember that inheritance law here is totally different. In the UK the tax is assessed on the estate, and once it has been paid I suppose that HMRC don't care who gets what's left.

In Spain, each heir is assessed individually, according to their relationship to the deceased, their existing wealth, their autonomous community and their residency status or that of the deceased. It's all a microcosm of the chaotic Spanish system. The EU decision last year has somewhat levelled the playing field for ex-pats.

Also the world has changed since Modulo720. Before it I imagine no one would have considered declaring an inheritance but now the draconian penalties for non-declaration of assets held abroad have changed things. Hacienda weren't prepared for it's implications and the EU ruling has muddied the waters even more.

If you go ahead and declare here are the documents you will need as told to me by Hacienda

Original y copia simple de la Escritura de Aceptación de Herencia.(si se hace)
En su defecto, el Inventario de Bienes y Herederos, por duplicado, en el que se señalen los datos identificativos del causante y los herederos, la designación de un domicilio a efectos de notificaciones, relación detallada de los bienes y derechos objeto de la herencia con expresión del valor de los mismos a la fecha de fallecimiento, así como de las cargas, deudas y gastos cuya deducción se solicita.
Copia del Certificado de Defunción.
Copia del Testamento o de la Declaración de Herederos.
Otra documentación a aportar, en su caso:
· Copia del recibo del IBI (Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles), y del título de adquisición de los inmuebles, o en su defecto Nota Simple Registral.
Certificado del banco con expresión de los saldos de las cuentas y /o valores depositados, a la fecha de fallecimiento.
Justificación documental de las cargas, gravámenes, deudas y gastos que sean deducibles, así como de la edad de los herederos.
Copia del pasaporte, documento de identidad, o del certificado del Número de Identificación de Extranjeros (NIE) de los herederos.

Incidentally, I submitted these documents 18 months ago and I'm still waiting for them to tell me how much I owe. But , Spain is different!
Seems safest to me not to inheret anything at all. Which is to follow the Spanish rules and refuse the estate which is allowed. By executing the DoV before probate you achieve the same result as a Spaniards would in not accepting a legacy.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

With the 720 the Hacienda has a handy check list of assets for IHT purposes.
In years past apparently, it was common to ignore assets outside Spain when working out the tax.
Those whose assets in each category come to just under 50 k euros, havent had to submit a declaration, so they may get away with not having their overseas assets taken into account for IHT.
Those who have been honest have no choice.
As the assets declaration was meant to catch wealthy tax avoiders, why didnt they set the threshold at 700,000 euros, as for wealth tax, instead of homing in on a relatively modest amount which may be the cumulation of many years hard work and savings.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

timoteo is an unknown quantity at this point

Blevins franks no longer hide things from the tax man. On the contrary they will probably sell you a life insurance bond with Lombard which works for IHT but beware! You may regret it as getting out is not easy and although you only pay tax on the profit portion of withdrawal your capital is soon depleted and then you will be paying tax on the full amount. Better consider a pension bond or Spanish Portfolio bond.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timoteo
Blevins franks no longer hide things from the tax man. On the contrary they will probably sell you a life insurance bond with Lombard which works for IHT but beware! You may regret it as getting out is not easy and although you only pay tax on the profit portion of withdrawal your capital is soon depleted and then you will be paying tax on the full amount. Better consider a pension bond or Spanish Portfolio bond.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary
Old Apr 29th 2015, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

timoteo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So what are you saying?

If the comments are in any way critical then you will not accept them. makes the whole operation quite pointless.
Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary