British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   info on infant schools in costa blanca south area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/info-infant-schools-costa-blanca-south-area-275790/)

sullivan Jan 6th 2005 8:17 pm

info on infant schools in costa blanca south area

Hi,
We need help from those of you who live in the Costa Blanca South.
We are moving out in the summer and need to find adequate schooling for our children. Our youngest will be 5yrs and so will hopefully go to preschool and then enter the Spanish school system at the age of 6. Problem is that we also have a son aged 9yrs.
We need people who are living, or have lived, in the area to share with us their knowledge. The area we are moving to will be decided on where we can get schooling for our boys and we hope to come over in a few months to view any potential schools.
We are interested in private schools, bilingual schools and state schools...especially any state schools with additional provisions to offer extra support the foreign children until they get a grasp on the language.
Hope you can help. :confused:

neeterben Jan 6th 2005 11:54 pm

Re: info on infant schools in costa blanca south area

I too am moving to the south Costa Blanca as soon as I sell my house. I have a 9 year old son and will have the same problem as you. Friends of ours moved to Quesada in August and were advised to put their 2 sons (age 10 and 7) straight into the state school, which they did. Apparently the other children helped them overcome the language barrier and now they are well on their way with their Spanish language. Let's hope it works for our children eh?............... unless of course anybody else has a better idea?

sullivan Jan 7th 2005 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by neeterben
I too am moving to the south Costa Blanca as soon as I sell my house. I have a 9 year old son and will have the same problem as you. Friends of ours moved to Quesada in August and were advised to put their 2 sons (age 10 and 7) straight into the state school, which they did. Apparently the other children helped them overcome the language barrier and now they are well on their way with their Spanish language. Let's hope it works for our children eh?............... unless of course anybody else has a better idea?

Thank you for your reply. It is comforting to know that we are not the only people doing this with children.We have no objection to enrolling our son into a state school, infact we think this will be the better option, but the feedback we have had suggests that many of the state schools in areas favoured by expats are over subscribed.Ideally we would like to relocate to a small village...but with children you have to be a little more realistic and we think that an area with other british children will make the transition smoother. After all ...this is our dream not theirs!!!(lol)
Do you have an exact area in mind or are you still undecided?
We are hoping to move to an area close to Pilar de la Horadada. If we get any info we will forward it. There has to be someone living in that area who uses this forum!!! :D

neeterben Jan 7th 2005 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by sullivan
Thank you for your reply. It is comforting to know that we are not the only people doing this with children.We have no objection to enrolling our son into a state school, infact we think this will be the better option, but the feedback we have had suggests that many of the state schools in areas favoured by expats are over subscribed.Ideally we would like to relocate to a small village...but with children you have to be a little more realistic and we think that an area with other british children will make the transition smoother. After all ...this is our dream not theirs!!!(lol)
Do you have an exact area in mind or are you still undecided?
We are hoping to move to an area close to Pilar de la Horadada. If we get any info we will forward it. There has to be someone living in that area who uses this forum!!! :D

Hi again, Sullivan! We are thinking of moving to the Quesada/Rojales areas (my friend's boys are at Rojales school and settling in well). I think we will be buying a villa around one of those areas, depending on what's going for sale. You never know, we might end up being neighbours and our kids will be able to talk "Spanglish" between themselves! (Us too, for that matter!) Anyway, good luck and cheers! :beer:

jdr Jan 8th 2005 2:17 pm

This might help you

http://www.idealspain.com/Pages/Info...ateschools.htm

Dont forget google is your friend ;) ;)

sullivan Jan 8th 2005 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
This might help you

Thanks. We have checked out that site and many searches on the web have given us the details about enrolment. What we need is information from people who have children in the school system over in Spain and to find out how schools deal with children who do not speak much Spanish. :)

neeterben Jan 9th 2005 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
This might help you

Hi jdr, thanks for your advice. There are lots of things of interest to me on that site, so your help is much appreciated. Cheers! :cool:

jdr Jan 10th 2005 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by neeterben
Hi jdr, thanks for your advice. There are lots of things of interest to me on that site, so your help is much appreciated. Cheers! :cool:

Nada :D get your phrase book out ;) ;)