British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Is inflation on the turn? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/inflation-turn-948342/)

bob_bob Aug 18th 2023 8:34 pm

Re: Is inflation on the turn?

I just looked at the link to food items in Europe, where in the UK did they shop, Fortnum & Masons food hall? Lot of those prices are way off the prices you pay, way too high for some of the items.

Lynn R Aug 18th 2023 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by bob_bob (Post 13210383)
I just looked at the link to food items in Europe, where in the UK did they shop, Fortnum & Masons food hall? Lot of those prices are way off the prices you pay, way too high for some of the items.

And exactly the same can be said of some of the prices quoted for items bought in Spain - I pay much less for mayonnaise and toothpaste than the prices quoted. Most probably the same applies to all the other countries in the list as well.

bob_bob Aug 19th 2023 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13210385)
And exactly the same can be said of some of the prices quoted for items bought in Spain - I pay much less for mayonnaise and toothpaste than the prices quoted. Most probably the same applies to all the other countries in the list as well.

I think your right.

I only spend around three months of the year in Spain these days and I do all the food shopping and cooking in the UK and Spain and overall the UK is cheaper than Spain. Some things are cheaper in Spain certainly seasonal/local fruit and veg but other things like meat tends to be more expensive and the quality of supermarket meat is not overall as good as the UK. UK supermarkets tend to carry a wider range of international foods too, certainly a lot more Asian food options for instance.

As a part timer to Spain I've seen all prices going up and up, Spain is no longer the cheap destination it was (nowhere is really) unless your a chain smoking alcoholic then its cheap ;(

growinspain Aug 20th 2023 1:29 am

another view
https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/08/2...ce-comparison/

DLC Aug 20th 2023 7:22 am

In that list, these foods are particularly British and are expensive in Spain:
  • Cheddar Cheese (Mature) – 300g
  • Instant Coffee – 200g
  • Tomato Ketchup – 500g

And vice-versa:
  • Olive Oil – 1L

Also, some foods have to be swapped for something else in Spain:
  • Large Sliced Loaf - In Spain it should be replaced with baguette or barra.
  • Semi-Skimmed Milk – 1L - In Spain it would have to be UHT milk instead of fresh.
  • Beer (Cans) – Four pack - I don't care what the price difference is, this gets swapped for 1906 in Spain. :)

bob_bob Aug 20th 2023 10:14 pm

Because I've too much time on my hands I just put the list in the link which quoted Tesco coming in at £52.02 into an online Tesco list, came in at £43.40. Do they just make the numbers up?

bobd22 Aug 20th 2023 11:06 pm

Comparing Aldi UK with Aldi Spain is comparing 2 different stores. They are separate entities . I believe the Aldi serving Spain is Aldi North and same Aldi one gets in Germany. I believe Aldi UK is Aldi Sur and is southern Germany Austria or similar. They have different emblems . I seem to remember reading they were 1 company but split many years ago over 2 brothers arguing over selling cigarettes. So each formed different companies one sold cigarettes the other didn't. I believe that's why Aldi in Spain seems quite German orientated in products as same company serves Germany. Just something I read long ago.

Casa Santo Estevo Aug 21st 2023 12:28 am

Looks like a survey of food prices written by a intern. ;)

atlasthemonk Aug 22nd 2023 10:24 pm

But the news just saying food prices will rise again after the Ukraine dam disaster.[/QUOTE]

Hi I have just hopped over from the Portugal side
Two of the main factors in inflation is 1 cereal prices and 2 oil prices
The price of cereals doubled from around £170 / ton in March 2022 to £340 by the end of may 2022 due to the Ukraine war.
All cereal products rose along with products produced by cereal consuming animals, milk eggs etc. There is a time lag between the two prices and when the cereal prices dropped later on in 2022 the supermarket prices started to fall in early 2023.
The above mentioned dam should result in a big increase in prices but it hasnt happened and I am a bit worried why it hasnt.
(P.S. awesome pictures of fruit and veg rbs)

Moses2013 Aug 22nd 2023 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk (Post 13211043)

Hi I have just hopped over from the Portugal side
Two of the main factors in inflation is 1 cereal prices and 2 oil prices
The price of cereals doubled from around £170 / ton in March 2022 to £340 by the end of may 2022 due to the Ukraine war.
All cereal products rose along with products produced by cereal consuming animals, milk eggs etc. There is a time lag between the two prices and when the cereal prices dropped later on in 2022 the supermarket prices started to fall in early 2023.
The above mentioned dam should result in a big increase in prices but it hasnt happened and I am a bit worried why it hasnt.
(P.S. awesome pictures of fruit and veg rbs)

I haven't been to Spain since March, but one thing I have noticed in Ireland is that cereal prices increased a lot and are now dropping again.
The reason might be that people just stopped buying them and now there is an oversupply. Every now and then I do buy Special K and when shops were charging €5 here, I just stopped buying. This week the 500g box is €2.57 at Lidl, so a bought again.

Barriej Aug 22nd 2023 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13211050)
I haven't been to Spain since March, but one thing I have noticed in Ireland is that cereal prices increased a lot and are now dropping again.
The reason might be that people just stopped buying them and now there is an oversupply. Every now and then I do buy Special K and when shops were charging €5 here, I just stopped buying. This week the 500g box is €2.57 at Lidl, so a bought again.

There are no actual food shortages in Europe or even in the Uk at the moment, if you check official sources.

Supposedly grain supplies may be slow if the war in Ukraine continues. But the Ukraine only supplies 20% of the worlds grain anyway.
I bet most countries have found new suppliers (of course at higher prices because of profiteering)..

Im not actually sure inflation here in Spain is or has been much of a problem to us.
Most prices have risen and most of the reasons can be attributed to bad crops and the wrong type of rain...
Since we moved (Aug 2020) my son has seen his utilities alone double, ours have stayed the same or even reduced slightly..

We dont eat much stuff sourced from the Uk as we have actively found Spanish versions.
Although Spanish sausages are far too rich for me, give me a plastic skin with sawdust and ground up bones any day....If Walls had ears (well they have everything else in them)
I do however prefer Heinz beans and at €1.50 a tin they are a treat now (just like they were in the Uk anyway)..

I like salad cream but wont pay the price, same with other stuff.

We eat far less here than we did in the UK, maybe because we dont do much now as we retired early.
We do go out and the menu of the day for us is great, we have a few places around here where its €12 for 3 small plates, a beer, coffee or pudding.
On those days thats the only meal we have.

growinspain Aug 23rd 2023 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 13211056)
I like salad cream but wont pay the price, same with other stuff.

Try Pepco, €1.50 for your salad cream

Barriej Aug 23rd 2023 1:04 am

Originally Posted by growinspain (Post 13211065)
Try Pepco, €1.50 for your salad cream

Got to be Heinz..

And to rub it in I was one of the people who moved the machinery from the Uk to Holland when all the trouble started years ago over the lack of sales in the UK........I could tell you some stories about that as well...
And thats one of the reasons why I wont buy it now.
Its made in Elst so it should be cheap its not being exported. Unless places like Iceland are buying the stuff from a Uk warehouse, which Im assuming they must be as it has the white sticker on it (same in Mas y Mas, Mendoza as well).

Casa Santo Estevo Aug 24th 2023 7:14 am

Fuel prices have risen for the seventh consecutive week.
Fuel is now at it's highest so far this year and the highest since the end of November. That was when the Government's 20 cents subsidy was still being applied.
https://www.lainformacion.com/econom...-2023/2891138/

Barriej Aug 24th 2023 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 13211404)
Fuel prices have risen for the seventh consecutive week.
Fuel is now at it's highest so far this year and the highest since the end of November. That was when the Government's 20 cents subsidy was still being applied.
https://www.lainformacion.com/econom...-2023/2891138/

Yep €1.66 a litre for 95 ron at our local petrol station.
Diesel was €1.50 this morning when we went past......

Not much you can do about it, except not drive anywhere....
I wanted to ditch the cars and get a 125cc twist n go. But unfortunately the wife prefers the luxury of four wheels....