Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Inflation at 50% - well, for the airport bus anyway

Inflation at 50% - well, for the airport bus anyway

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inflation at 50% - well, for the airport bus anyway

The airport bus from Malaga bus station to the airport has been 2€ for ages now, and that increased from 1.20€ a couple of years ago.

Got on the bus the other day and slapped my 2€ coin on the counter and the driver asked for another 1€. I nearly fell off the bus.

Now I know inflation is running a little bit high but 50%?

Anyway, for all you regular commuter type people, the airport bus now costs 3€.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:29 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inflation at 50% - well, for the airport bus anyway

Originally Posted by billgates
The airport bus from Malaga bus station to the airport has been 2€ for ages now, and that increased from 1.20€ a couple of years ago.

Got on the bus the other day and slapped my 2€ coin on the counter and the driver asked for another 1€. I nearly fell off the bus.

the bus from Granada City to Granada Airport has been €3 each way for the past 4 years, don't know if that has gone up, will have to see next time in town, they have the price on the bus windows.

The bus from Granada City to Malaga Bus Station was €12 with an extra €1 for the journey out to the airport if you stayed on the bus.

Was it the Govt or the Junta that agreed to bus price increases ? ?

`
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I always get the train now that the frequency has increased to every 20 minutes, the journey is much quicker and no danger of hitting traffic delays en route - so this price increase is another good reason not to use the bus! Last time I used the train it was €1.65, I think (that was in early December) so might have gone up since then, but I doubt it's €3.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I always get the train now that the frequency has increased to every 20 minutes, the journey is much quicker and no danger of hitting traffic delays en route - so this price increase is another good reason not to use the bus! Last time I used the train it was €1.65, I think (that was in early December) so might have gone up since then, but I doubt it's €3.
Whatever the price, its a bargain

A 4 mile return bus journey to the town centre in the town I grew up in is £4.50!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

A 4 mile return bus journey to the town centre in the town I grew up in is £4.50!
have to agree, just over a year ago I was paying £1.75 for a 1.5mile single journey into the town centre, on a "one every 10min" bus that seemed to always be every 20min.

now I catch a once an hour bus for a 24mile single journey for €1.85. And it always runs, even when the road is blocked with flooding.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:41 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
have to agree, just over a year ago I was paying £1.75 for a 1.5mile single journey into the town centre, on a "one every 10min" bus that seemed to always be every 20min.

now I catch a once an hour bus for a 24mile single journey for €1.85. And it always runs, even when the road is blocked with flooding.
Arn't you a pensioner ? It would be free in the UK

Last edited by jackytoo; Jan 22nd 2013 at 10:53 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Arn't you a pensioner ? It wuld be free in the UK
true - but not until I came out here, although I was getting it from 60 they are talking about stopping it because people are using it. if you havent got your card then you have to pay and after one visit here I left my card in Spain.
also you can't travel until after 9,30 even if the bus is empty

but rules is rules and we must obey them
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I've been taking the train for the last few trips I've made but this time the airport bus just happened to pull up as I arrived at the bus station. I thought I'd save having to wait 10-15 mins for the train and pay the extra 35 cents for the bus. No more.

I don't mind so much that the cost is 3€ for the airport bus, what I do object to is increasing the fare by 50%. Shameless profiteering.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind so much that the cost is 3€ for the airport bus, what I do object to is increasing the fare by 50%. Shameless profiteering.
Public transport is heavily subsidised in Spain which is why the prices so low

It's only normal that prices go up when the local authorities have no money left
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bargain - LHR to Reading is £13.50!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Well, yes. The cost of a single offpeak train journey from Manchester Airport to the city centre was £3.85 in December (fares went up in January I think). There are few buses that do the journey and the ones there are take hours as they take a very circuitous route so they are not an option. Mind you they would be no cheaper - it is actually cheaper, so I am told by the bus drivers, for me to buy a 1 day unlimited bus travel ticket for £4.50 than to buy a single journey ticket from Manchester city centre to the town where my family live, 10 miles away. Crazy system.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Sounds like a bargain - LHR to Reading is £13.50!
Yes, I used to travel from Barcelona to London a lot - and then back again

The train from Barcelona to the airport cost 69 centimos

The train from Gatwick to London Victoria cost £16

I once saw a Spanish family on the Gatwick express ask for 5 return tickets. The woman got out a £20 to pay and the conductor said that will be £150. You must have seen the look on her face

Last edited by cricketman; Jan 22nd 2013 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:36 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You can hardly expect the Gatwick express to be subsidised for mostly millions of tourists There are cheaper trains that stop for around a tenner and they often advertise 4 fo 2 fares.

Agree that UK fares are expensive, as an infrequent user better than having subsidies by the taxpayer.

Last edited by jackytoo; Jan 22nd 2013 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You can hardly expect the Gatwick express to be subsidised for mostly millions of tourists There are cheaper trains that stop for around a tenner and they often advertise 4 fo 2 fares.

Agree that UK fares are expensive, as an infrequent user better than having subsidies by the taxpayer.
Sure, it is a different model

I'm lucky enough to enjoy heavily subsidised public transport and sports facilities in Spain, which is perhaps hard to swallow when there are so many millions of people who are supposedly struggling to feed themselves (hard to believe when the restaurants and bars still seem to be doing a roaring trade)

But at the same time, it is great that almost everyone can use these facilities when the very poorest British people cannot afford to even use public transport, but then I guess they can afford it because the UK benefit system gives them plenty of money to pay for it
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice

The train from the airport to Malaga station cost €1:70 yesterday.
A return ticket Malaga to Pedrera cost €17:10 A good price I think for a train journey lasting 1 hour and 12 minutes
PS I have received emails offering car hire for €4 per day---just a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.