Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Impossible for Expats to return to UK?

Impossible for Expats to return to UK?

Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:43 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impossible for Expats to return to UK?

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I think that we could possibly be about to to witness a colossal historical moment in the next 24 hours. If a no deal is allowed it will be ( privately) what the SNP want. It will be the start of a process that will change irreversibly the nature of identity, culture, and nationaliy of everyone in the UK. It will not be seen as the result of exterior consequences but solely the politics of one single party and a few dozen MPs. RIP UK!!!
Are you attempting to blame SNP for Brexit? I do not think that is fair comment.
The majority of people in UK voted to leave the EU and we must respect that decision.
The majority of people in Scotland, Wales and NI voted against leaving the EU. The devolved parliaments have been ignored by Westminster.
We are clearly at a cross roads.

Getting back to the original post: Independent Scotland, Wales & NI would almost certainly ditch the draconian UK rules which impede free movement of non UK relatives and essential workers, e.g. farm workers, doctors nurses et al.

Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Are you attempting to blame SNP for Brexit? I do not think that is fair comment.
The majority of people in UK voted to leave the EU and we must respect that decision.
The majority of people in Scotland, Wales and NI voted against leaving the EU. The devolved parliaments have been ignored by Westminster.

Getting back to the original post: Independent Scotland, Wales & NI would almost certainly ditch the draconian UK rules which impede free movement of non UK relatives and essential workers, e.g. farm workers, doctors nurses et al.

I am certainly not blaming SNP I support them, I simply mean that ironically Brexit has shifted the independence debate in favour of independence
Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:49 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I am certainly not blaming SNP I support them, I simply mean that ironically Brexit has shifted the independence debate in favour of independence
My apologies. I misunderstood your comment.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

quixote is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that has always been the case for those who are married to a non EU national? Now we are leaving EU, it should come as no surprise that partners who are not UK citizens will require permission to reside in UK. BoJo is taking back control of our borders :-(
No it hasn't always been the case, the income requirement for family settlement visas in the UK is a relatively recent requirement introduced certainly no more than 10 years ago.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile

Wales voted for Brexit.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 9:34 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by quixote
No it hasn't always been the case, the income requirement for family settlement visas in the UK is a relatively recent requirement introduced certainly no more than 10 years ago.
Visas have always been required, since jesus was a boy. I did not say anything about "income requirements"
Old Dec 9th 2020, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quixote
It was in July 2012 that UK started implementing minimum income requirement of £18,600 before tax for non-EU family member to join their settled UK partner.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 9:36 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by inbarcelona
Wales voted for Brexit.
I stand corrected.
About 21% (650,000) of people living in Wales were born in England, with nearly a quarter aged over 65. The country voted for Brexit by a majority of just 82,000.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Same re UK state pensions really.
Not sure what the point you are making with this comment?

​​​​Are you of the view that those not already drawing their UK state pension by brexit date shouldn't receive one? If so why?

Last edited by Rosemary; Dec 9th 2020 at 8:26 pm. Reason: corrected quote