Reload this Page >

Importing RHD BMW to Fuerteventura

Importing RHD BMW to Fuerteventura

Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

paulh360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing RHD BMW to Fuerteventura

Hi there,

First of all apologies for posting another thread about importing RHD cars but i am a new member and am unable to PM the posters i want to for information.

Basically i am moving to Fuerteventura to live in 4 weeks and would like to take my 1999 BMW e46 as it's not worth much to sell here and i doubt i'll get a car as good for 3000-4000euros over there ...does anyone have a full guide in plane english about what i need to do and the costs involved? I don't have any NIC or Resedencia but will arrange to get them as soon as i arrive on the island if it helps to avoid any taxes.

Also does anyone know of a gestoria in the Canaries who could help or any companies that could do it all for me including the shipping to take the hastle out of everything.

Many thanks,

Paul
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:29 am
Just Joined

THORTENERIFE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DONT DO IT!!!!!

I brought over my car,because it was and is special to me,but unless you can never do without it,then sell it in england.it will cost you €1500 to get it there,€2500 in taxes,and re numbering,and take a lot of running around.you must put it on spanish plates within six months or they will tow it to police station,and wait till you buy ticket to take it back,and when you have paid out all that money it will have no value coz no spanish will want it

sellers market for cars here at mo. http://www.segundamano.es/
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing RHD BMW to Fuerteventura

Originally Posted by paulh360
Hi there,

First of all apologies for posting another thread about importing RHD cars but i am a new member and am unable to PM the posters i want to for information.

Basically i am moving to Fuerteventura to live in 4 weeks and would like to take my 1999 BMW e46 as it's not worth much to sell here and i doubt i'll get a car as good for 3000-4000euros over there ...does anyone have a full guide in plane english about what i need to do and the costs involved? I don't have any NIC or Resedencia but will arrange to get them as soon as i arrive on the island if it helps to avoid any taxes.

Also does anyone know of a gestoria in the Canaries who could help or any companies that could do it all for me including the shipping to take the hastle out of everything.

Many thanks,

Paul
Basically you will have to get it matriculated, that is re registered onto Spanish plates, there are literally hundreds of threads on that subject, just do a search, and you need 3 posts to pm people. Likely to cost in the region of €500 maybe a little more in the case of a BMW with the cost of replacement parts, headlights, fog lights.. as long as there have been no modifications to the original manufacturers spec, if there have been, no matter how small, then these will have to be removed and the car restored to its original spec. The cost of getting it to the Canaries will, of course, make it that taking your car over there, and getting it re registered, costs more than the car is worth, so unless it is special to you in some way, I really think selling it in the UK would be the best option. Even after is has been re registered, you still have the problem that the driver is on the 'wrong' side of the car while driving.

Last edited by mikelincs; Nov 12th 2009 at 6:43 am.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:00 am
Just Joined

THORTENERIFE is an unknown quantity at this point

no you will still have to pay import tax even if you live here,even spanish people who move here pay import tax on a car,and they tell you how much it is min is €500,on a car under 25 years old that has no value
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DONT DO IT!!!!!

Originally Posted by THORTENERIFE
I brought over my car,because it was and is special to me,but unless you can never do without it,then sell it in england.it will cost you €1500 to get it there,€2500 in taxes,and re numbering,and take a lot of running around.you must put it on spanish plates within six months or they will tow it to police station,and wait till you buy ticket to take it back,and when you have paid out all that money it will have no value coz no spanish will want it

sellers market for cars here at mo. http://www.segundamano.es/
Employ a gestor to do the running around it will only add a couple of hundred euros to the total bill and well worth it as it takes all the hassle out of matriculation. Cost me under 1000 euros in total including headlights and all fees/costs to get my Merc ML onto Spanish plates.

There are no import taxes to pay at least in mainland Spain as long as you matriculate within 60 days of declaring that you are no longer living in the UK as it is then considered a personal posession. I believe that you are supposed to have owned the car for a minimum of 6 months before bringing it to Spain, but I was never asked for any proof of previous ownership.

Last edited by bob_day; Nov 12th 2009 at 8:03 am.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get 4 k for your car in the U.K then sell it,add to this the cost of getting it here plus the reg fee`s and you will be up to 6.5k or even more, for this you will get a decent car without the hassel of registering and the problem of selling your U.K RHD car in the future.