Reload this Page >

Importing furniture into Gibraltar

Importing furniture into Gibraltar

Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

synthie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing furniture into Gibraltar

Hi,
I finally moved into Gibraltar about two months ago and now found that we need a couple of things like book shelves, etc. We plan to head to IKEA in Malaga and buy several pieces of furniture.

What I don't know is if I have to declare any of this at the border, can someone please point me in the right direction? I had a look at a Customs site which says that you'll need to declare anything above £32 worth of value which strikes me as unrealistic.

If we have to declare anything, would we have to pay VAT or something else? Do we need to ask IKEA not to add VAT as we'll export it to Gibraltar?

As you can tell I'm new to all the importing stuff, any help would be appreciated!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing furniture into Gibraltar

Originally Posted by synthie
Hi,
I finally moved into Gibraltar about two months ago and now found that we need a couple of things like book shelves, etc. We plan to head to IKEA in Malaga and buy several pieces of furniture.

What I don't know is if I have to declare any of this at the border, can someone please point me in the right direction? I had a look at a Customs site which says that you'll need to declare anything above £32 worth of value which strikes me as unrealistic.

If we have to declare anything, would we have to pay VAT or something else? Do we need to ask IKEA not to add VAT as we'll export it to Gibraltar?

As you can tell I'm new to all the importing stuff, any help would be appreciated!
0% duty on building materials ,not sure on furniture ,why not walk down to the frontier and get it from the horses mouth?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply. Since I won't be doing the shopping for the next week or two anyway that's most likely what I'm going to do.

Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:10 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Your nearest IKEA is Jerez - then I would suggest Malaga then Seville

Davexf
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dave,
thanks for the info. Is the IKEA in Jerez smaller than the one in Malaga or do they stock the same items? I guess I'm concerned that we end up having to go to Malaga as well if we don't find all the stuff in Jerez.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Importing furniture into Gibraltar

Hi Dave,
thanks for the info. Is the IKEA in Jerez smaller than the one in Malaga or do they stock the same items? I guess I'm concerned that we end up having to go to Malaga as well if we don't find all the stuff in Jerez.

Thanks for your help!
They are all almost identical except for the menu in the restaraunt. If you have a copy of the English catalogue that also works for most things with slight changes to the code number and of course price with various VAT, ITV rates and timber products seem to be slightly more expensive in Spain and ceramic products cheaper.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Most household furniture is dutiable at 6%

If you have all your residence paperwork in place for Gibraltar then the procedure is to get a VAT/IVA reclaim form from the shop supplying the articles.
Then on the Spanish side of the frontier you visit the reclaim office who will stamp your paperwork, this you must return to the shop for your refund.

On entering Gib you must declare the goods regardless of the value, it is then up to the Customs Officer to decide if duty should be paid.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690739