Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Important medical info

Important medical info

Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

neil77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Important medical info

Having had a 'brush' with the medical world quite recently, something was discovered that Id like to pass on. In Spain, as in much of Europe, a particular pain killer is used widely, both in injection and oral tablet form. This is called NOLOTIL. It has a generic name of Metamizole and maybe other brand names. For some reason, this can be lethal, especially to Brits. It is banned in UK, USA, India and a few other countries. Here are some links...
https://www.change.org/p/madrid-ban-...til-en-españa
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/...illing-britons

Even Spain has conducted an investigation as to why a few Brits have died after taking this pain killer. So when visiting the doctor with an ailment that needs either a pain killing injection of a course of tablets, it might be wise to ask for an alternative to this particular pain killer. All the Drs and hospitals carry the usual alternatives, and they're happy to comply with a request for an alternative.

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 6th 2018 at 8:12 am. Reason: took out bold
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default Re: Important medical info

What's the best alternative to Nolotil/metamizole for back pain?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi Brian, your doctor would be best to ask, Im sure they would have an alternative. I just thought that people should be aware of possible effects of this particular pain killer. Hope your back gets better.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:58 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I think Fred, you missed the humour here. Of course neil77 was helping, it was in fact a fantastic post & thread to warn us of a potential problem.

In fact I am pretty sure neil77, and anybody who lives around CE who saw my post (before you deleted it and before the previous post was deleted) would have understood it. I posted a joke before the previous post was deleted.I suspect that you didnt see that post. So now nobody understands what's going on as both are deleted.

But we'll still have a laugh when I explain it over a beer or two.

C'est la vie - no big deal - lets agree to disagree.
Jon
Old Aug 9th 2018, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

was that the post about the fungal infection Jon? I briefly saw something. Honestly, Im no expert on medical matters and now Im being asked all these medical question!! haha!! Mind couldnt do much worse than some medical professionals in the public healthcentre in town! How a doctor can diagnose a serious illness by just taking a temperature and not examining a patient or even looking at them, save to turn their head to cough over them, is pure magic. And the diagnosis was completely wrong, giving the treatment which was actually harmful to the illness that was being suffered. If you go there for an internal problem, do, as I was wisely advised, get a second opinion!
Old Aug 9th 2018, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by neil77
Hi Brian, your doctor would be best to ask, Im sure they would have an alternative. I just thought that people should be aware of possible effects of this particular pain killer. Hope your back gets better.
Thanks Neil. However, it was a general question open to the forum in case anybody had been recommended an alternative. I have been on metamizole for years with no apparent ill effects. I am still prescribed it if I go to the medical centre but find it less of a hassle to buy it over the counter locally when I need it. However, given the information you passed on I will give metamizole a miss now just in case.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 7:41 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

was that the post about the fungal infection Jon? I briefly saw something. Honestly, Im no expert on medical matters and now Im being asked all these medical question!! haha!! Mind couldnt do much worse than some medical professionals in the public healthcentre in town! How a doctor can diagnose a serious illness by just taking a temperature and not examining a patient or even looking at them, save to turn their head to cough over them, is pure magic. And the diagnosis was completely wrong, giving the treatment which was actually harmful to the illness that was being suffered. If you go there for an internal problem, do, as I was wisely advised, get a second opinion!
Hi Neil.

Yes I was surprised to see someone asking you for medical advice about a fungal infection, when you have been through a medical problem and took the time to explain about the pain killer you were prescribed. Previously you had already asked someone to seek advice from a Doctor, when he asked you for advice.

For me it was pretty obvious that the last thing you intended was to be seen as some sort of 'medic'

I thought Id crack a joke asking you about your visiting hours, and how me as a golfer could benefit from your advice for my 'club foot'.

Sometime later one moderator deleted the fungal post. He saw no problems with my post and that stayed up for a bit. The second moderator didnt get it, (probably as it wasn't that funny.)

Then the second moderator, incorrectly assumed I was belittling you, and made it clear that he didn't approve, and deleted my post as well.

At least now no-one will be asking you for medical advice anymore on this thread !

QED

Jon
Old Aug 9th 2018, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

I know you wouldnt belittle me Jon! And I wish Id seen that joke, I might have made a diagnosis!! But you might not have approved of it!

And, Rafikiphoto, jon-bxl might be the one to give you some advice on your problem. But yes, having looked into Nolotill, it was quite alarming to read the consequences some have suffered, and I just wanted to make people aware of the potential dangers.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 7:18 am
BE Positive

I know you wouldnt belittle me Jon! And I wish Id seen that joke, I might have made a diagnosis!! But you might not have approved of it!

And, Rafikiphoto, jon-bxl might be the one to give you some advice on your problem. But yes, having looked into Nolotill, it was quite alarming to read the consequences some have suffered, and I just wanted to make people aware of the potential dangers.
... Thanks Neil.

A few years ago on the forum we also discussed the problems with LARIUM. An Anti-Malarial (AKA Mefloquine) and I posted about the dangers of it, from personal experience. So if you are ever prescribed this for a trip (usually further than Europe) - please google it, and check out the side effects. Long story but an actual tropical medicine doctor, in the tropics, told me that this is often badly recommended by medics without the relevant experience in Northern Europe. He was right. I'm no longer aware of the latest news, but I hope that this is carefully vetted nowadays, following the real-life experiences of this from some of those that took it

Rafikphoto - Neil says that I might be able to give advice, as he heard that I am recovering from a bout of back problems that had me flat out. I didnt do email for nearly a week, as it was tricky to sit down. I don't do mail on my phone, so sitting in front of a keyboard wasn't fun. But I did post here with my phone - which explains the spelling mistakes!

You seem to have it quite bad needing strong pain killers (sorry if I am wrong). So I doubt anyone can help with your particular case on a forum. However I do have 2 TENS machines, as I find that when the back 'goes' there is a knock on effect to the muscles which try and compensate. So these provide relief, through electrical impulses to the muscles. It also gives relief from the pain, as I think the brain processes these impulses which are 'nicer' - rather than the pain. I have regular massages for the back, and I personally prefer Osteopaths to Chiropractors. Again google it and you will find many suppliers. I have one from Boots and one I got off the net. I actually have a third, that was given to me as part of a trial, but the company didn't succeed.

Some of it is my fault as I (we all) should do some exercises daily e.g https://www.google.be/search?client=ms-android-motorola&q=exercises+to+strengthen+lower+back+and+ core&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDlOGSh7zcAhUIjqQKHW9zCA0Q1QI I9wEoBw&biw=360&bih=568#kpvalbx=1

These strengthen the muscles which in turn give more support and protection to the back problem, whatever it is. With me retired, with time on my hands, I really have no excuse not to do them. Laziness wins. And yes, I know that yoga and e.g pilates can really help - especially when we get older and the aches and pains increase. Lazy again

Jon