Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Import tax in Canary Islands

Import tax in Canary Islands

Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Locin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Import tax in Canary Islands

I am thinking of importing a used engine into Lanzarote from the UK can anyone tell me what local taxes I will have to pay, or perhaps where I can find out
Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import tax in Canary Islands

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 8th 2012, 8:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Locin
I am thinking of importing a used engine into Lanzarote from the UK can anyone tell me what local taxes I will have to pay, or perhaps where I can find out
Thanks
Why would you pay tax, its in the EU
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Why would you pay tax, its in the EU
It's not in the EU from a taxation point of view.

The customs rules about importing from the Canaries to the UK are very different to importing from the EU but I have no idea how it applies the other way around.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's not in the EU from a taxation point of view.

The customs rules about importing from the Canaries to the UK are very different to importing from the EU but I have no idea how it applies the other way around.
Its in the EU as part of Spain as known as one of the outermost regions
Tariff suspensions apply (and also this is a second hand personal effect?)
From my experiences in the Freight Industry and HMRC, that is ....

Best for the Op to ask the authorities I guess
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:20 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It has pretty much the same customs status as the Channel Islands and Gibraltar - such as no VAT - which is contrary to normal EU rules.

They are outside the EU customs territory and VAT area, but politically they are part of the EU.

As an example you are limited to the amount of cigarettes you can bring back to the UK whereas coming from from the EU it is more or less unlimited.

As I said, I don't know how it affects exports to the Canaries but as you say, it is a used personal item.

As you say, a question best answered by the customs people in the Canaries.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:45 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Fred .. your right..its best to talk to customs.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

http://www.cargolanzarote.es/en/services/
try that website. Its eems to deal withall sorts of import export stuff.

Fred is right, we always have loads of issues about paying customs etc in the Canaries. Even if we order something through M&S, for example, then it gets stopped and taxes have to be paid. Its usually a percentage of the value, so how it would work with a second hand engine, i dont know. Ship it through an agent and then you wont get any nasty surprises.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 8:41 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by MaryJones
http://www.cargolanzarote.es/en/services/
try that website. Its eems to deal withall sorts of import export stuff.

Fred is right, we always have loads of issues about paying customs etc in the Canaries. Even if we order something through M&S, for example, then it gets stopped and taxes have to be paid. Its usually a percentage of the value, so how it would work with a second hand engine, i dont know. Ship it through an agent and then you wont get any nasty surprises.
Yes, but you are talking about new product there.
For example (and I do not condone this) people evade duty into the EU for equipment from the States by declaring it as repaired items, or second hand effects. Its not a legal way of doing it of course

Here, we are discussing a used and therefore possibly classed as a personal item. Different rules apply. Thats why people can move their personal effects around the globe without (normally) paying duty and taxes on them.

If you ship it through an agent then you may well incur extra charges for handling it .. probably better to go direct to a carrier who will sort all that out to you

In fact, this is a good page from your link
http://www.cargolanzarote.es/en/impo...anary-islands/

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 9th 2012 at 8:44 am.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Pippyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We use T C Freight, door to door collection and delivery.Just give Cathy a ring on 020 8 890 7888 she is brilliant all very clear and easy.