British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   import duties from china (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/import-duties-china-914195/)

Paul Davies in Spain Jun 22nd 2018 9:39 am

import duties from china

Hello All

My first post

I am building a house in Almeria (Vera) and i wnt to import my light fixtures for the house as i am a lighting designer and have a specific design as well as good price from regular suppliers

I sent some items before but had really bad trouble importing and then got really whacked for around 480eu duty on a 995 dollar shipment

These need to go to my builder as i am in Dubai so not there to help any issues like last time so it needs to be staright forward

Does anyone have any advice on how i could import and guarantee i pay the correct duty or as i was advised as easier, send to the UK and bring via there which would bring a second question

Does anyone have a cheap and reliable delivery method to spain from the south of england ?

Are there any paperwork complications ?

Any comments / experienced advice
welcome

All the best

Paul

tonisdad Jun 22nd 2018 5:49 pm

Re: import duties from china

Originally Posted by Paul Davies in Spain (Post 12520603)
Hello All

My first post

I am building a house in Almeria (Vera) and i wnt to import my light fixtures for the house as i am a lighting designer and have a specific design as well as good price from regular suppliers

I sent some items before but had really bad trouble importing and then got really whacked for around 480eu duty on a 995 dollar shipment

These need to go to my builder as i am in Dubai so not there to help any issues like last time so it needs to be staright forward

Does anyone have any advice on how i could import and guarantee i pay the correct duty or as i was advised as easier, send to the UK and bring via there which would bring a second question

Does anyone have a cheap and reliable delivery method to spain from the south of england ?

Are there any paperwork complications ?

Any comments / experienced advice
welcome

All the best

Paul

Paul
Maybe a good English speaker in one of the local Chinese shops might help regards import?
When I import to UK from China goods never have correct value on them. Always less than actual cost.

Paul Davies in Spain Jun 23rd 2018 8:59 am

Hi Toni

Thanks for the reply, due over in July so will ask in the surrounding china markets, good idea they will know the loopholes of course

If i sent via UK do you by any chance know if there is a customs issue with new goods and how would i describe them

Im leaning more to ship via UK as last time direct was nightmare and a rip off as they didnt know what the goods were i think !!!

Cheers

PD

tonisdad Jun 23rd 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Paul Davies in Spain (Post 12521137)
Hi Toni

Thanks for the reply, due over in July so will ask in the surrounding china markets, good idea they will know the loopholes of course

If i sent via UK do you by any chance know if there is a customs issue with new goods and how would i describe them

Im leaning more to ship via UK as last time direct was nightmare and a rip off as they didnt know what the goods were i think !!!

Cheers

PD

From China to UK there is not really a problem,there can be but there is that much stuff imported it is just in general a scan and a sniffer dog.
If it is light fittings which I would think would be quite large you would need to pay a bit of import duty, seller usually knows how low to go.
At the end of the day customs do not know if they are bespoke goods or bog standard.
You will likely know but no western Union and the likes always use something like Paypal where you have redress should things go wrong.