implications of Spanish residenica

implications of Spanish residenica

Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Molehaven2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default implications of Spanish residenica

Hi good afternoon,
Pretty sure this is a question that has been ask hundreds of times before,
what are the implications on my UK citizenship , NHS, Ect once I apply for my Spanish residency.
I know its hugely beneficial to me here , with my own small business, but trying to understand the other side ?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 4th 2018, 2:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: implications of Spanish residenica

Originally Posted by Molehaven2
Hi good afternoon,
Pretty sure this is a question that has been ask hundreds of times before,
what are the implications on my UK citizenship , NHS, Ect once I apply for my Spanish residency.
I know its hugely beneficial to me here , with my own small business, but trying to understand the other side ?

Thanks in advance
It's not a matter of choice but a legal obligation. Once you are going to be in Spain for more than 90 days, then you MUST sign on the list of foreigners (aka, get residency).

Once you are resident, this does NOT affect your citizenship but does mean that you can no longer use UK health service. The exception to this is if you are in receipt of an S1 from DWP.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:45 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

FREE HEALTHCARE FOR ALL?

I have read pages and pages about new free healthcare for ALL.

‘’Government to make healthcare free and universal again 'within six weeks' 15 June or was it 1st APRIL?
SPAIN'S new government is working on a Bill of Law, or Royal Decree that will once again make free healthcare universal for everyone living in the country, irrespective of their legal status.’’

If this is true why is proof of healthcare still being requested at residency status application?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The law was passed recently. The problem is that they have not yet incorporated that option into the registration process.

The registration process is handled by the Policia Nacional and the eligibility for free healthcare is handled by Social Security (INSS). You do not get free healthcare automatically as you have to prove that you are not already covered by a reciprocal health agreement (like the S1 procedure).

It's a bit of a Catch 22 situation at the moment.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:20 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fred thanks for that. Fancy having to prove you do not have something, what bureaucrat dreamed up that back to front idea. Can you submit a blank piece of paper to get your SIP card?

Regarding residency application, could you supply a printed copy of the new law FREE HEALTHCARE FOR ALL?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 11:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johncarzx
Hi Fred thanks for that. Fancy having to prove you do not have something, what bureaucrat dreamed up that back to front idea. Can you submit a blank piece of paper to get your SIP card?

Regarding residency application, could you supply a printed copy of the new law FREE HEALTHCARE FOR ALL?

Of course not as all (except Andalucia) autonomous regions have yet to implement it. That's the 'beauty' of have autonomy!
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:24 pm
Banned

Yes new laws that could be implemented overnight at the stroke of a pen. Once again a case of the inmates running the asylum.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't actually think that by signing the foreigners register in Spain (Residencia) that you do have to give up your UK health rights? If you sign it and live in Spain permanent then yes but you may have signed and intend simply being able to stay in your holiday home legally for over 90 day stays but retain dual residency? avoiding becoming a Fiscal resident.
As for using the new law re health care to obtain residency, at the moment (I have just obtained residency and you either need private health care or S1 in Andalucia. Also my understanding is that to obtain the free health care you need a letter from UK stating that you are not covered in Spain for health care paid by the UK or hold private health care, So basically as Fred says catch 22 situation.

Last edited by bobd22; Nov 5th 2018 at 3:59 pm. Reason: correction
Old Nov 5th 2018, 4:37 pm
Banned

Hi Bob

I think some of what you say is correct. OAPs through the S1 system still retain their NHS benefits (healthcare) in the UK. Those that become residents (or whatever you want to call it) who are not OAPs with S1 do not. Dual residency and fiscal residency can be complicated and therefore can we just stick to the question of Joe Soap resident in Spain. How can he possibly prove he does not have private healthcare? And if the so called free healthcare for all was properly implemented he would cancel any policy he had. Is this a new law that the civil servants don’t like?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way you would have to prove that you don’t have private cover. I am in the Spanish NHS and also have private insurance and the two work well together.

The key document is what I think is called the Newcastle Letter. This you get from the DWP to say that you no longer are covered by the UK NHS, which is the case if you are not a pensioner. If you are a pensioner with an S1 under recent legislation you still have full UK NHS cover in the UK if you wish to go there for treatment. Assuming the reciprocal agreement continue after Brexit, then pensioners will not be entitled to free healthcare under the new Spanish law, but they will be covered under the reciprocal agreement. If the UK cease to honour the reciprocal agreement and stop paying for pensioners, then they would become eligible for the new Spanish law.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:21 pm
Banned

Thank you Fred a good post. I suppose the issue here could be the UK culture vs Spain culture. When we hear of a new law in the UK we expect it implemented immediately, but in Spain it can take years.

Spanish Civil Servant
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is no way you would have to prove that you don’t have private cover. I am in the Spanish NHS and also have private insurance and the two work well together.

The key document is what I think is called the Newcastle Letter. This you get from the DWP to say that you no longer are covered by the UK NHS, which is the case if you are not a pensioner. If you are a pensioner with an S1 under recent legislation you still have full UK NHS cover in the UK if you wish to go there for treatment. Assuming the reciprocal agreement continue after Brexit, then pensioners will not be entitled to free healthcare under the new Spanish law, but they will be covered under the reciprocal agreement. If the UK cease to honour the reciprocal agreement and stop paying for pensioners, then they would become eligible for the new Spanish law.
A very succinct post making it very clear. Thanks.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If the UK cease to honour the reciprocal agreement and stop paying for pensioners, then they would become eligible for the new Spanish law.
​​​​​​That point is already being looked at by UK government.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...d-after-brexit