Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Immigration Lawyer Recommendations?

Immigration Lawyer Recommendations?

Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Chucunchaca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Lawyer Recommendations?

Hello everybody, I am a British man, recently returned to the UK after many years in Colombia. I would like to live in Spain and bring my Anglo-Colombian family to join me there, as the immigration possibilities in the UK are slim, and in any event, I think it would be a better place for us, for a number of reasons.

So, cutting to the chase, can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer able to handle my residency in Spain despite me being busy in the UK and to later handle the visas appertaining to my family?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyer Recommendations?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chucunchaca
Hello everybody, I am a British man, recently returned to the UK after many years in Colombia. I would like to live in Spain and bring my Anglo-Colombian family to join me there, as the immigration possibilities in the UK are slim, and in any event, I think it would be a better place for us, for a number of reasons.

So, cutting to the chase, can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer able to handle my residency in Spain despite me being busy in the UK and to later handle the visas appertaining to my family?

Thanks in advance.
You don't need a lawyer for yourself, and you have the right to live and work in Spain, I suspect there will be special circumstances for your family as they are from a Spanish speaking South American company. You can't get residency in Spain unless you are actually living there. As this is British Expats I suspect there aren't likely to be that many people who have been in your situation. Are you looking at the Surinder Singh means of getting the family into the UK then check out the immigration forum in the 'Moving back to the UK' section, there may well be some help there.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
hi

it's not actually very complicated

you, as an EU citizen, can move to Spain very easily, as long as you can prove that you can meet income & healthcare requirements (around 625€ a month + healthcare provision..... work on that figure roughly per person & you'll be showing more than enough to satisfy the govt)

if you are married, your wife & your children, if your natural or adopted children can also 'exercise treaty rights' as your family, to come & live in Spain

if your children hold British passports it's even more straightforward for them
- they just register in the same way as you

you need to move here & register as resident & any non-EU family can come with you on visitor visas & register as your family once here

the only complication would be if you're not married..........

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 14th 2013 at 9:26 am.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your welcome.

It's ironic that initially I was really looking at the UK as a stepping stone to living in Spain. It has always appealed to me and I thought some of the culture and certainly the language would make it easier for my family. On their 2 visits to the UK, they fell for just about every aspect of British life. Now my own country is rejecting my family but I have found permanent gainful employment and the UKBA is an expensive mistress.

I would love to go live in Spain, if I was single I would have the means to do it. I was hoping I could visit, set up residency and leave to keep on earning. Eventually, what I would do is set up with the family in Spain and drift backwards and forwards trying to maintain a live/work balance.

Thanks for your advice so far. I do wonder what level of physical presence I would need to maintain in Spain in order to qualify. I thought hiring a lawyer would be cheaper and less work than renting accommodation for 3 months.

Last edited by Chucunchaca; Jul 14th 2013 at 3:27 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your welcome.

It's ironic that I was really looking at the UK as a stepping stone to living in Spain. It has always appealed to me and I thought some of the culture and certainly the language would make it easier for my family. On their 2 visits to the UK, they fell for just about every aspect of British life. Now my own country is rejecting my family but I have now set my self up with permanent employment this is an expensive business.

I would love to go live in Spain, if I was single I would have the means to do it. I was hoping I could visit, set up residency and leave to keep on earning. Eventually, what I would do is set up with the family in Spain and drift backwards and forwards trying to maintain a live/work balance.

Thanks for your advice so far. I do wonder what level of physical presence I would need to maintain in Spain in order to qualify. I thought hiring a lawyer would be cheaper and less work than renting accommodation for 3 months.
if you're thinking of your family actually living in Spain, while you 'commute' that is entirely possible

after 90 days/3months here you would be considered resident & have to register as such - & then you would be considered to be tax resident if here more than 183 days in a calendar year - even if you weren't personally here that long, if you were financially supporting your family living here, so I'd be very surprised if there were any issues with them staying here while you pop in & out

usually people are wanting to prove that they aren't tax resident, & advice is to keep tickets or something to prove absence - in your case it might be advisable to keep them to prove your presence............
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
hi

the only complication would be if you're not married..........
Yeah, thanks for the reminder. Not even Colombian Immigration require that!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to have a physical presence there, so an address would be imperative, you could not become a resident unless you had that.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

I think once your wife and children are living in Spain and your are providing for them there by flitting back and forth to your job, Spain could be seen as your centre or economic interest and so you would be fine, and you would be tax resident.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
hi
you need to move here & register as resident & any non-EU family can come with you on visitor visas & register as your family once here
Is it really as easy as obtaining Schengen visas and then seeking residency in-country? That is such a stark contrast to the workings of the UKBA.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Is it really as easy as obtaining Schengen visas and then seeking residency in-country? That is such a stark contrast to the workings of the UKBA.
pretty much, yes ... as long as you meet income & healthcare requirements & they are satisfied that it's a genuine marriage, all paperwork is in order etc....

it would be the same for say, a Spaniard resident in the UK wanting to bring an American wife into the UK
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:51 am
Banned

Moris is an unknown quantity at this point

As you are British, you can easily move anywhere in European Country. You need to prove that you are paying tax for that country, where you desire to live and better you consult with an immigration lawyer. He will definitely suggest you what would be better for you and your family as well.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moris
As you are British, you can easily move anywhere in European Country. You need to prove that you are paying tax for that country, where you desire to live and better you consult with an immigration lawyer. He will definitely suggest you what would be better for you and your family as well.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary