Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I'm moving to Spain next year, a few questions.

I'm moving to Spain next year, a few questions.

Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:33 pm
Banned

notmyname is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm moving to Spain next year, a few questions.

I hope I can keep this as simple as possible, without boring you with all the details. I am moving to Marbella next year, have decided for 12 weeks give or take.
It's more of a long holiday/test drive, I understand the state of the economy.
So here are my questions that I hope anyone in this area can help me with

1.When I think of Marbella, I don't really think of Crime but of course every City has crime even it's very little, are there any areas to avoid because of crime?

2. I'll be either flat/house sharing or a holiday let and I really hope this doesn't come off as rude, or snobbish; I am British, I am proud of being British, but I'm not someone who wants to live in Spain and be surrounded by own my culture.
I want to go to Spain and live and breathe Spanish culture/language/food etc for the majority.
So my question is, are there any 'ghettos' that are full of one nationality? I don't care if I have British neighbors, as long as I can have other neighbors who are for example Dutch, Chinese, Spanish etc, you know what I mean? I understand that most coastal Spain is multi cultural.
I'd like to be in a predominantly Spanish area. So are there any areas full of British people? If not, everything's good then just ignore this question that I've wasted time typing lol.

3. Final question, I really want to do volunteer/charity work. Preferably I would like something to help the people of Marbella, are there any homeless shelters or soup kitchens or anything like that? I don't mind going out of Marbella up to Malaga for example. I'm not sure what I'm looking for I would really just like to be able to help people. Is there a red cross in Marbella? I do speak Spanish so language barrier isn't a problem. Or even cleaning litter of the beach, rescuing animals etc. Anyone have any ideas? I can do afternoons/evenings in the weekdays and I can give my whole Saturday or Sunday.

Thank you for your time
Old Oct 21st 2012, 3:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm moving to Spain next year, a few questions.

are you financially secure with ooodles of income from the UK, with private medical to meet any and all emergencies ??

if not then please don't expect any answers - its just not worth the aggro for either of us
Old Oct 21st 2012, 3:35 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of voluntary work in Marbella, CUDECA the cancer charity, an Aids charity and a couple of animal charities.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 3:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notmyname
I hope I can keep this as simple as possible, without boring you with all the details. I am moving to Marbella next year, have decided for 12 weeks give or take.

1.When I think of Marbella, I don't really think of Crime but of course every City has crime even it's very little, are there any areas to avoid because of crime?

2. I'll be either flat/house sharing or a holiday let and I really hope this doesn't come off as rude, or snobbish; I am British, I am proud of being British, but I'm not someone who wants to live in Spain and be surrounded by own my culture.
I want to go to Spain and live and breathe Spanish culture/language/food etc for the majority.
So my question is, are there any 'ghettos' that are full of one nationality? I don't care if I have British neighbors, as long as I can have other neighbors who are for example Dutch, Chinese, Spanish etc, you know what I mean? I understand that most coastal Spain is multi cultural.
I'd like to be in a predominantly Spanish area. So are there any areas full of British people? If not, everything's good then just ignore this question that I've wasted time typing lol.

3. Final question, I really want to do volunteer/charity work. Preferably I would like something to help the people of Marbella, are there any homeless shelters or soup kitchens or anything like that? I don't mind going out of Marbella up to Malaga for example. I'm not sure what I'm looking for I would really just like to be able to help people. Is there a red cross in Marbella? I do speak Spanish so language barrier isn't a problem. Or even cleaning litter of the beach, rescuing animals etc. Anyone have any ideas? I can do afternoons/evenings in the weekdays and I can give my whole Saturday or Sunday.

Thank you for your time
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 21st 2012, 5:30 pm
Banned

notmyname is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Plenty of voluntary work in Marbella, CUDECA the cancer charity, an Aids charity and a couple of animal charities.
Thank you! I'll check them out.
Thanks Rosemary.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notmyname

Thank you for your time
Thats made me chuckle..especially the bit about soup kitchens in Marbella!
Marbella town is Spanish and although there are many different nationalities living there it is prdeominanlty Spanish. Some of the urbanisations outside the town have more of one particular nationality which you will find out for yourself.
Crime is increasing with rising unemployment but it is still a very safe place to live and to go out in.
There are places where you can do voluntary work but as towns go it is a very well off place.
You can look at the Sur in English website to give you some ideas about accommodation and things to do.
Good luck and when you are strolling around Puerto Banus amongst the Lambourghinis and Ferraris just think of the soup kitchens! Still laughing now!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:02 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

There are ghettos in the town of marbella and also one I know in La Campana at the bottom of the hill towards san pedro. La Campana is popular because of it good restaurants and bars but if you wander off down the hill you have a good chance of getting mugged. 2nd line puerto banus is now run by eastern europeans and full of drugs and prostitutes, go 1st line and its a different world.
The tell tale signs for a ghetto are the cheap tellephone call centers that attract the (mostly) illegal immigrants from africa.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Marbella town is Spanish and although there are many different nationalities living there it is prdeominanlty Spanish. Some of the urbanisations outside the town have more of one particular nationality which you will find out for yourself.
Crime is increasing with rising unemployment but it is still a very safe place to live and to go out in.
There are places where you can do voluntary work but as towns go it is a very well off place.
You can look at the Sur in English website to give you some ideas about accommodation and things to do.
Good luck and when you are strolling around Puerto Banus amongst the Lambourghinis and Ferraris just think of the soup kitchens! Still laughing now!
According to this report, the idea of soup kitchens in Marbella is not as ludicrous as you think:-

http://www.thenewsonline.es/news/cos...y-in-marbella-

So in answer to the OP, yes there is obviously charitable work going on there to help the needy, including activity by the Cruz Roja. There is also a soup kitchen in the centre of Malaga, just across the bridge from the Pousada del Patio hotel. I can't remember the name of the charity which runs it so unfortunately haven't been able to find it on Google, all I can remember is that the word Angeles features in the title.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
According to this report, the idea of soup kitchens in Marbella is not as ludicrous as you think:-

http://www.thenewsonline.es/news/cos...y-in-marbella-

So in answer to the OP, yes there is obviously charitable work going on there to help the needy, including activity by the Cruz Roja. There is also a soup kitchen in the centre of Malaga, just across the bridge from the Pousada del Patio hotel. I can't remember the name of the charity which runs it so unfortunately haven't been able to find it on Google, all I can remember is that the word Angeles features in the title.
and before anyone else jumps in to disagree - I have seen a Spanish television report on this place - but can't remember where etc
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
There are ghettos in the town of marbella and also one I know in La Campana at the bottom of the hill towards san pedro. La Campana is popular because of it good restaurants and bars but if you wander off down the hill you have a good chance of getting mugged. 2nd line puerto banus is now run by eastern europeans and full of drugs and prostitutes, go 1st line and its a different world.
The tell tale signs for a ghetto are the cheap tellephone call centers that attract the (mostly) illegal immigrants from africa.
There is also Las Albarizas, close to the centre and the market. mainly occupied by druggies and gypos.

http://www.laopiniondemalaga.es/marb...eo/491582.html

Last edited by jackytoo; Oct 22nd 2012 at 10:02 am. Reason: added link
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
I dont know why you are chucking - Marbella isnt that well off

There was an interesting article in El Pais recently that Marbella is mainly frequented by British wanabees pretending to be rich rather than actual rich people

And there are Caritas soup kitchens in most towns, probably in Marbella as well, but they are not obvious as they dont want people to be embarrased about using them. They are run by the Catholic church so I dont think it will be that easy to become a volunteer
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman

There was an interesting article in El Pais recently that Marbella is mainly frequented by British wanabees pretending to be rich rather than actual rich people
I wish I was a few hundred thousand behind some of the people I know there There are wannabees but they usually rent and don't own businesses, boats and bentleys
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I was a few hundred thousand behind some of the people I know there There are wannabees but they usually rent and don't own businesses, boats and bentleys
Sure, the key was the word "mainly"
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

And there are Caritas soup kitchens in most towns, probably in Marbella as well, but they are not obvious as they dont want people to be embarrased about using them. They are run by the Catholic church so I dont think it will be that easy to become a volunteer
I was chuckling not chucking and its good to laugh! Even in this crisis Marbella is very well off and so are the foreigners there. Like all places there are those that know and those that think they know.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 12:57 pm

oh dear, so its the bentley thats holding me back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.