Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

i'm moving to La Herradura - anyone on this site already living there?

i'm moving to La Herradura - anyone on this site already living there?

Old Aug 7th 2015, 10:36 am
Just Joined

sandie dudley is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile i'm moving to La Herradura - anyone on this site already living there?

Hi,
my name is Sandie and my husband is already staying in La Herradura until I can finish packing up in Winchester, England. I am so looking forward to it. I am a very sociable person and would like to get involved in meeting other ex pats in the area or surrounding areas. I'm quite an active person and want to do more than sunbathing etc. I would like to take up hobbies like tennis and am interested in maybe doing some charity work. I also teach English as a second language and have a CELTA cert. I do have to be busy. So if there's anyone out there who could give me a few pointers or advice I would very much appreciate it.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:03 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i'm moving to La Herradura - anyone on this site already living there?

I live in La Herradura - what do you want to know?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Default Re: i'm moving to La Herradura - anyone on this site already living there?

my husband is staying in the buttercup urb. and i will join him in september. i just want to meet people and get into some activities, maybe do some charity work. i would also like to learn spanish - is there a school?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:26 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is a local language school

CENTRO DE IDIOMAS EL MAR. Academias de idiomas de Almuñécar | infoidiomas

The local free paper is useful. Available online or at local shops etc

Seaside Gazette Magazine - news & information about the Costa Tropical, Andalucia, Spain

Various charities from cancer to animal charities. Almunecar is only 5km down the road and there are lots of options there.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: i'm moving to La Herradura - anyone on this site already living there?

oh thanks so much for that advice. i really want to make our time there as happy as possible and I know that I'll need to have some things to do.
kindest
sandie
Old Aug 7th 2015, 1:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandie dudley
Hi,
my name is Sandie and my husband is already staying in La Herradura until I can finish packing up in Winchester, England. I am so looking forward to it. I am a very sociable person and would like to get involved in meeting other ex pats in the area or surrounding areas. I'm quite an active person and want to do more than sunbathing etc. I would like to take up hobbies like tennis and am interested in maybe doing some charity work. I also teach English as a second language and have a CELTA cert. I do have to be busy. So if there's anyone out there who could give me a few pointers or advice I would very much appreciate it.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 7th 2015, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

thankyou.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

alilever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sandie,I've sent you an e-mail. My husband and I have an apartment in La Herradura. Interested to know how you are getting on.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:52 am
Just Joined

hi,
thankyou for asking.
we stayed in La Herradura until 15th October when we moved up onto the campo from nerja - off the frigliana road to a villa. this was because we couldn't find anything that suited as we wanted a larger property with a pool.
we were staying at buttercup and although we didn't mind the track road up to there it was a nightmare parking and then climbing 50 odd steps up to the house. i love it there though and we are still in contact with a couple of friends that we made.
even though we still have the drive up to this place at least we can drive straight on to the property.
are you in la herradura?
kindest
sandie
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Yes - we bought a small apartment to use for holidays. We hope to stop working / work less in the next few years so we can spend more time in Spain. Our next plan is to try to work at an international school in Spain for a few years before retiring.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 9:05 am
Just Joined

are you teachers?
Old Nov 14th 2015, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

I am a primary teacher and my husband is training after a long career in industry. He's doing a PGCE to teach secondary physics which is a shortage subject. He'll be qualified at the end of the academic year, so we're waiting to see what job opportunities come up. I think the international schools like couples.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: i'm moving to La Herradura - anyone on this site already living there?

Originally Posted by alilever
I am a primary teacher and my husband is training after a long career in industry. He's doing a PGCE to teach secondary physics which is a shortage subject. He'll be qualified at the end of the academic year, so we're waiting to see what job opportunities come up. I think the international schools like couples.
There are jobs in International schools but not all schools are going to have a vacancy for both physics and Primary. He would be better to train as a general science teacher to give you more of a chance of a double vacancy.
Have you also checked the salaries as they are much lower than the UK?
Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,Yes - that's what he's doing. There's no other option in the UK - although he gets a bursary for being a Physics graduate, he has to teach general science. He could also teach maths. We're not going for the salary - we know it's lower. We have our children off our hands and want a new adventure. We love Spain and would like to spend more time there to try to learn the language a bit more quickly than we're managing now.