Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Im going to make it work if it kills me

Im going to make it work if it kills me

Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im going to make it work if it kills me

Originally Posted by marisol
I'm not a loyal army of anybody but, actually some post that i have read here make me think UK must be like Disneyland. Please, i don't want to hurt anybody but, unfortunately, live has taught me that not everybody is good, that you can't trust everybody and that you can expect the live in anywhere is going to have pink colour. Almost nobody is going to give you something for anything, and i said almost due to i'm still optimistic. Here, in Spain, i thought it happened in all over the world, living is difficult, finding a job is hard, not only for people who come from another countries but also for people who live here. If i tell the truth, i wish i could keep on thinking like some of you but i really can't, i would have to deceive myself.
Maybe you would prefer that people told you that you are going to have a very easy life in Spain, but it would be a lie and i think, rubymath doesn't tell lies and he tries to tell things as hard as they really are, thats all under my point of view

that deserves the karma I sent you
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

What some people do not realise is that this resession is happening all over the world. I live in Benidorm and especially with the pound being on par with the euro(literally today) then people who come here just arn't spending.

I think the best chance of survival for a british person is in communities where other people speak english which is usually tourist areas. I was at the hairdressers yesterday and the lady told me the owner was closing it down in March time. They still get trade from the british that live here but they also rely on british holidaymakers too. 10 euros for a haircut is now £10 wheras before is was £6. She also told me that one of main fun pubs is closing their doors until the summer(cafe benidorm) because no one is going in.This is the very first time it will close in 10 years.
Bar trade is poor too. A 4 euro english breakfast is now £4 to a holiday maker and the way the pound has dropped in just 10 weeks it is only going to get worse.

Im being honest. I love Spain but im getting out while I can (for now). People tell me that its rubbish in the UK and yes Iam fully aware there are companies closing down(Woolies,MFI,Zavvi etc) but I do think I have a better chance of survival back in the uk despite it's problems. It's a case of 'running for cover'!!

Spain is going nowhere. I can always come back in the future. Im over 30 now, me and the G/F have no children so for us we can still try and do something about it, something that may not happen in 10 years when im in my 40's especially if I stay in Spain with this resession going on.Its not too easy to 'ride the storm' when no one is predicting when its all going to end, and then of course it will take years to recover!!!

Anyone thinking of coming here then weigh up all posibilities first before you make the move. Moving back to the uk for me is a last resort but this last resort is looking more likely every day.!!

Last edited by spainboy; Dec 31st 2008 at 1:31 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

i agree with your posts but surly we all know the negatives, you would be a fool to think you can go to a new country and it all be rosy and if you read the title of this thread im sure that means i am prepared to put in ALL the effort too, i think anybody who wants to do it will be constantly reminded of how hard it is,but hard times are everywhere at the moment, and i say be as positive as possible and work your ass off and eventually you WILL achieve.Happy New Year All
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:36 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Look, for the sake of some forum sanity and because I really don't want to fight with people (thats not to say that I wont if provoked) can we just get some perspective?

Bluenose, if you think all I do is berate Spain then you are seriously wrong and as I implied in another response to you it shows you have just read a very small portion of my numerous posts ( I had to say it before anyone else did) because I absolutely adore Spain, I always have done, but I am not one of those rose tinted glass kinda guys, I need all the information before I do something then I need all the facts before I make a move and even then I need to hear at least a thousand actual accounts of how other people are finding their lives in a country before I make any form of move.

Now, if you think that I hate the UK, they again you couldn't be more wrong, the UK is one of the most beautiful countries on the planet, it has things in it that no where else does, has beauty you can't quantify, solitude you could hardly believe from such a small set of islands so crowded with people, some of the most culturally diverse and multicultural cities and towns in the world and some of the nicest people on earth, yes it has its problems, but then so too does Spain.

Now, I will say this once and only once, if you don't like hearing me tell it like it is then don't read my posts, plenty on the Spain forum have me on ignore, just do the same, but don't think I would pull you up if you slag me off again!

Oh and if you think I have a "gang" on here you are seriously mistaken, one of the two people you accused of that has told me to wind my neck in before and the other has given me a telling off for being an arse, to my peers and betters I listen, to everyone else I have nothing but contempt..... until that is they get over their attitude towards me.....
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Bluenose.

I would also say to you try and get some positive work before you move over here. Ive seen expats trades go out of the window when they move abroad and literally take what they can just to survive.
I have a friend who is a plumber and was earning nearly 30k a year in the uk but came over here 'for the good life' and now works in a bar til 2am 6 nights a week for 30 euros a night because that is the best he can get.

Of course this is only one example and im not trying to put a dampner on things but all im saying is that this does happen and as ive said in my earlier post I have seen many people come and then after a time go back because it simply hasn't worked out for them.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

spainboy im on your wave length my freind, well said i could choose to go now- but that would be stupid,the economy will turn round again but the next 12-18 months will be a good time to invest in property in the uk or abroad, i am lucky i have a decent job and am going to travel with my partner and ride the recession out then make a go of it in spain. I hope you can come to the uk and find work and achieve what you want in the future- i could say you have no chance of finding a job because there aren't any but im sure if you work at it you will 100 % sure
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

30 euros per night? that'll do :-)rugbymatt i have absolutely no problem with you and you have bags of usefull info,i made 1 snide comment about negativity and has been blown way out of proportion- i will read your posts because i know that some of them will be of use to me- simple too many people jump on a gossip bandwagon and think its a fighting match?people can have separate opinions and still have constructive views otherwise it would be very boring wouldn't itpeace
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that deserves the karma I sent you
Thanks lynnxa, i have tried to give some to you but i couldn't (i don't know why) and besides i owe you one since some time ago, i'll try it later
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose27
30 euros per night? that'll do :-)rugbymatt i have absolutely no problem with you and you have bags of usefull info,i made 1 snide comment about negativity and has been blown way out of proportion- i will read your posts because i know that some of them will be of use to me- simple too many people jump on a gossip bandwagon and think its a fighting match?people can have separate opinions and still have constructive views otherwise it would be very boring wouldn't itpeace
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Thats the problem BN, too many people have too much to say about other posters and not enough about helping people............

Don't worry, as some who I have had a row with can testify, I hold no grudge.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Marisol,

A serious question. I am a spaghetti western fan and am sure Marisol was the heroine in one of Clint's. Is that where you got your name or am I being nosey? (and wrong).
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ive done bits of research and ive asked a lot of people. Im from Leeds and I know there are jobs there,maybe not as many as before but as we know there are also a lot of people who are quite happy bumming off the dole and do not wish to get out and get work.
My brother works for the Royal Mail and has done since he was 16 (42 now) and they are recruiting despite their apparent cut of jobs. Theres also Asda's and other supermarket jobs. Ok it's not ideal but it pays more than a lot of wages in Benidorm plus it will be at least something til we find something better. I always say that once you have a job it's always easier to find another job.

Believe it or not outgoings now are as cheap in the uk as they are in Spain.There is only me and the G/F and we pay 750rent,70,ADSL+phone, 20 water,70 electric,27 gas,60 shopping,20 petrol,50 car ins, 35 skytv which works out at 1,100 euros every month.Not really much cheaper than in the uk is it nowadays? So with poor wages its hard to keep above water. We do survive but only just. Even with 2 full time minimum wage jobs in the uk we would actually be financially better off each month.

Im under no illusion it will be easy in the uk but like you we have to try as hard as we can
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Marisol,

A serious question. I am a spaghetti western fan and am sure Marisol was the heroine in one of Clint's. Is that where you got your name or am I being nosey? (and wrong).
i didn't know the name of an heroine of one of Clint movies were Marisol and i like it, really, but not, my real name is "soledad" like loneliness in English but everybody calls me marisol, so it is my real name
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well.

If memory serves me well, it is in "For a fistful of dollars".
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Ah well.

If memory serves me well, it is in "For a fistful of dollars".
I am glad you didn`t say "the good the bad and the ugly"
These Spanish girls can get a bit wild if they are upset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.