Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Im going to make it work if it kills me

Im going to make it work if it kills me

Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all
Default Am i going to make it work if it kills me?

Hello,My Girlfreind and i have decided after a long decision to move to spain in 12-18 months time.Now i know people might think it is an insane idea but i am going to make it work, we are currently having private spanish lessons in the uk which are going well.I know times are difficult with the global economic situation but hopefully in 12-18 months time we will see a slight improvement, I am looking on some constructive feedback not from rugbymatt!We are lucky we have a propperty to live in for around 200 euros per month- a 3 bed villa in Gran Alacant.I am a fully qualified carpenter and plumber and also do alot of other building work/fit kitchens/bathrooms etc,my gf is a qualified journalist and has lots of admin experience too.we would even train in other fields to live in this area,we have been all over the world but for some reason this seems like a home, together we are more than prepared to start at the very bottom and stay there until we can have a comfortable life in spain,your thoughts and advice will go a long way,cheers

Last edited by bluenose27; Dec 30th 2008 at 10:42 am.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im going to make it work if it kills me

Hi, hope someone comes up with some help.....just a by the way....if your girlfriend finds work in journalism, get her to pass any excess my way; if she's not completely fluent I'd be interested to know what work she'll get. I wanted to work, but at the end of the day figured how on earth would I conduct an interview in Spanish if I couldn't be guaranteed to understand the minutae of the possible answer.....
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - sometimes the correct attitude is nine tenths of the battle. However 200 Euros rent a month is probably your best weapon - it will enable you to survive for longer, until the economy recovers. Good luck - if you're in the building game I'm afraid you're going to need it.

1 year to 18 months? On further thinking - suppose in 18 months the UK economy has recovered (I'm not saying this is likely, but you never know) - why not set up an employment agency for unemployed Spanish workers to work on contract in Britain? With your knowledge of the business and contacts, this may be a good route to follow in the future. Not that this is sensible at the moment under present economic conditions.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:55 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Hi, hope someone comes up with some help.....just a by the way....if your girlfriend finds work in journalism, get her to pass any excess my way; if she's not completely fluent I'd be interested to know what work she'll get. I wanted to work, but at the end of the day figured how on earth would I conduct an interview in Spanish if I couldn't be guaranteed to understand the minutae of the possible answer.....
at least one of the journos on the Round Town News in our area speaks very little spanish - he manages somehow
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

Thanks i might just do that!thats is what concerns me - the building game im feeling the pressure at the moment , i was thinking of putting it on the backburner as i will never loose my experience ,and look for new options i know someone who opened a bodega who just went for it and it worked i admire what he did not that is what i would want to do, training in something that would be in long term demand or making a go of it in my trades ins one tough decision
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
at least one of the journos on the Round Town News in our area speaks very little spanish - he manages somehow
Makes you wonder about the quality of the stories, though, doesn't it? I mean in the UK I (a) knew what I was being sent to report on or phone up about, (b) knew what to ask (c) knew what they were saying & how to follow up. In Spain I would know (a) & (b) but without absolute certainty about (c) any resulting story could be so much garbage.....
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:16 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Thanks i might just do that!thats is what concerns me - the building game im feeling the pressure at the moment , i was thinking of putting it on the backburner as i will never loose my experience ,and look for new options i know someone who opened a bodega who just went for it and it worked i admire what he did not that is what i would want to do, training in something that would be in long term demand or making a go of it in my trades ins one tough decision
I met a Portuguese guy once who'd made a good living importing marble (and other) bar tops, for the various tapas bars that opened in London, so they'd have that authentic Iberian feel. Perhaps this could work in reverse? If you could help fit out a traditional pub (or Irish pub), maybe you could get repeat orders. I know that in the major cities, these types of pubs (often Irish) are very popular. Of course this may be too late to get into the market, but it's a question of finding your niche.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Good luck bluenose,

At least you've got the right attitude and are doing as much research as possible. The Spanish lessons will come in handy as well. I really hope everything works out. Let us know how you get on.

Although it's not great money, your other half could always give English conversation classes to locals until she finds the work she wants. A bit of advertising, word of mouth and getting to know the Spanish does wonders and it all helps to pay the rent.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

whats wrong with that fionamw? thats what sells, maybe we could be on to something- what do you do now if you dont mind me asking?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

steviedeluxe i hope you are rich if not you deserve to be!great ideas, very much appreciated to all posts keep em coming :-)
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe i hope you are rich if not you deserve to be!great ideas, very much appreciated to all posts keep em coming :-)
Lol - afraid I am not rich. It's not really showing a great imagination either - I'm just saying what I've observed over the years. Trouble is, what worked 5 years ago may not work now - end of the day you'll have to be the one to make the hard decisions. If I can think of anything else I'll certainly let you know. Regards.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

whats wrong with that fionamw? thats what sells, maybe we could be on to something- what do you do now if you dont mind me asking?
she keeps her hand in by posting on here
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:57 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnxa
she keeps her hand in by posting on here
meow
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:03 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by crispy
meow
me
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:15 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.