Illegal House.

Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:02 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Illegal House.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
But doesn't that mean that the complainant's property is probably illegal as well? A counter-complaint might just serve them right.
Maybe, but you're not going to know which one brought the illegal dwelling under scrutiny.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:11 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Thanks everyone for your help, we are seeing our friends today and will give them all your advice.

Twyntub, when our friends moved in the house even had mains water and solar panels for the electricity. They had no reason to think it was not all above board.

Lionda, we too have been thinking of returning to the UK for similar reasons to yourself.

I know all government in all countries have coruption in their midst, but here in Spain it is just blatant bullying.

Oh....and I don't know of any Spaniards who have been told they have illegal houses.

How did they manage to get mains water if the property was/is illegal Surely checks would have been made by the water board when the application for mains water was first applied for
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:20 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all once again for your replies.

It came to light because somebody, at this late date, denounced the builder. I understand that if a complaint is made it must be acted upon. But our friends have actually done nothing wrong so why must they be the ones to be punished? Why not punish the dodgy builder, estate agent, translator, previous owners, mayor/council?

I don't know how the water was brought to the house but it is. Probably a corrupt water authority official.

They are seeing a lawyer today, so I will keep you posted.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:22 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lionda
How did they manage to get mains water if the property was/is illegal
The dwelling is not important. Many plots in Spain are sold with the services (electric, water, telephone, etc) already connected, "ready for construction", even though there are no permits or dwelling.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:31 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Thank you all once again for your replies.

It came to light because somebody, at this late date, denounced the builder. I understand that if a complaint is made it must be acted upon. But our friends have actually done nothing wrong so why must they be the ones to be punished? Why not punish the dodgy builder, estate agent, translator, previous owners, mayor/council?

I don't know how the water was brought to the house but it is. Probably a corrupt water authority official.

They are seeing a lawyer today, so I will keep you posted.
Originally Posted by bokeh
The dwelling is not important. Many plots in Spain are sold with the services (electric, water, telephone, etc) already connected, "ready for construction", even though there are no permits or dwelling.

Well the whole thing stinks of curruption :curse:

Hope your friends are able to get some positive help and advice scampicat
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:45 am
Banned

Well the whole thing stinks of curruption
Well, neither a garage, nor a workshop nor a warehouse are residential dwellings but there is nothing corrupt about them having services installed.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:53 am
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by bokeh
Well, neither a garage, nor a workshop nor a warehouse are residential dwellings but there is nothing corrupt about them having services installed.
But if someone lived in them and then sold them as a dwelling it is corrupt......stop splitting hairs
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:58 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming the original nave was built with permission for a nave, then it would have been quite feasible for it to have utilities.
So the first infraction then was the illegal extension(s) but the previous owners were fined for that, end of story in that your friends can't be held responsible.
The act of selling/buying a nave is not against the law, so your friends have done nowt wrong there.
Their only "crime", as I see it, is using the nave as a dwelling. If they were to cease using it as a permanent dwelling I don't see why it would be under threat of demolition. If they, understandably, want to continue using it as a dwelling, then they would have to apply for a change of use. Unlikely to be granted due to its location (I would think).
Chance of success not high but if I were in their shoes, I'd be going after the estate agent/translator. The notary had no part to play as all they do is ask if you understand what you are buying and, presumably, the translator answered in the affirmative.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:19 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

But if someone lived in them and then sold them as a dwelling it is corrupt......stop splitting hairs
Instead of casting wild assumptions care to explain why you think it's corrupt in more detail?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:30 am
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by zel
Instead of casting wild assumptions care to explain why you think it's corrupt in more detail?
It's corrupt....there is a lot of corruption in Spain.

I am NOT casting wild assumptions read the papers

Not getting into a discussion with you as I have stated my opinion - every one is entitled to their own opinion and that is mine - and I am not alone!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Wether, in this case, you want to call it corruption or criminality,is immaterial.
The fact remains that this couple were duped,there is clear evidence of a criminal act,fraud, or obtaining by deception,but they still stand to lose their home and the money invested in it.

Unfortunaly,Zel, I have to agree with Lionda,there is a lot of corruption in Spain.Speaking with my Spanish hat on, I can confidently state that, and the only reason you dont here so much about it from Spaniards is because they have learnt to live with it,and have come to expect it in their dealings with officials,politicians etc.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:44 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

My point is none of you two have the right to assume it's corrupt in this case without the full details of the situation, even now there has been given only a small amount of info on this case.

Just because the housing market can be corrupt it does NOT mean every incident is or this incident. You only have to talk like that to the wrong person and you're in court on a liable case, FACT.

You just can't go around painting everything with the same brush like that, it's just wrong in my opinion.

Last edited by zel; Apr 18th 2008 at 4:49 am.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Of course not,totally agree.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:00 am
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by zel
My point is none of you two have the right to assume it's corrupt in this case without the full details of the situation, even now there has been given only a small amount of info on this case.

Just because the housing market can be corrupt it does NOT mean every incident is or this incident. You only have to talk like that to the wrong person and you're in court on a liable case, FACT.

You just can't go around painting everything with the same brush like that, it's just wrong in my opinion.
Of course.....every case is different and you do have a point
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:04 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, that is not corruption. If someone buys something and doesn't check whether they are buying is what they think they are buying (it's clear on the escritura if it is a Nave or a Vivienda) that is not corruption on behalf of the seller - that's stupidity or (most probably) ignorance, on behalf of the buyer, compounded by estate agents who do not tell the whole truth.

"Caveat Emptor" applies in Spain just like it does anywhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.