Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

If you are one of the 'alarmed and confused'

If you are one of the 'alarmed and confused'

Old Mar 7th 2020, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you are one of the 'alarmed and confused'

According to The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-brexit-future

thousands of Expats are 'alarmed and confused' because of lack of information.

Well I fail to see the reason for this given the amount of meetings/roadshows that the British Consul has organised all over Spain over the last few years and the information available from other sources.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/i...content=weekly

May I suggest that if this indeed is the case and not just the Guardian filling the columns you take the time and trouble to do some basic research and/or attend some meetings to get accurate up to date information. Maybe these people fall into the category of never having applied for residencia/NIE/padron or done a tax declaracion consequently I can understand their current confusion and alarm.

I hope this helps as well https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain
Old Mar 7th 2020, 9:39 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you are one of the 'alarmed and confused'

I would not say I am alarmed or confused, but I am concerned by the lack of clarity and often conflicting information provided by our PM, government ministers and civil service.

I would suggest this post should be moved to Brexit discussions.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I would not say I am alarmed or confused, but I am concerned by the lack of clarity and often conflicting information provided by our PM, government ministers and civil service.

I would suggest this post should be moved to Brexit discussions.
i would imagine the PM is probably the issue as Ministers try and keep up with his bumbling ever changing view of the situation and the Civil Servants have to try and keep up with the fluid situation caused by PM and the Ministers trying to keep on side of PM and Cummings. I think that the original post is also correct. It is very easy to sign up for official government updates which come at least weekly.
Without doubt there will be some concern from those not wanting to make themselves (often for many years) legally resident! Of course the agreement made relies upon one being legal in Spain to benefit from the rights in the agreement with the EU. No one surely can complain if in that situation in my view, there has been ample time to sort out residency etc and even now with implementation period still the opportunity to sort it out.

Last edited by bobd22; Mar 7th 2020 at 10:20 am.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, bobd22 your last 3 sentences sum up exactly what I believe to be the situation.

Do people think it realistic to understand the detailed situation from the PM and his cohorts soundbites on UK TV?

Because if they do they are mistaken - because those people will not have that detailed level of understanding that we need to know to sort out our situations. I think the UK Gov site and the Consul's meetings have been informative and helpful.

But for those who never have and never will engage with the legal system they must sink or swim and continue to feed the misleading articles as per above.