Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

If I've won £2 million will it be enough?

If I've won £2 million will it be enough?

Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default If I've won £2 million will it be enough?

Ruminating on the 0.0003p in 'another' thread and cogitating on the Rovers Return thread re What would you do if money were no object.....
Just how much would YOU have to win/steal/whatever (Lottery for example, or Madoff) to keep you happy for the rest of your days? About 8 years ago my OH & I started thinking it had to be £500,000 (pay off mortgage, decent wad left) then we realised that took no account of paying for the lifestyle we'd like to get accustomed to, then schooling, uni, changing cars, inflation....not long before it got to £2 million. Now that seems obscene, I know, but I saw a multi millionairess interviewed saying that she's got £10 million & feels positively poor & can't compete alongside some mega-rich folk she knows..if you really want to be fret-free & comfortable, how much would it take?

HELP! DUPLICATED! CAN'T DELETE!!

Last edited by fionamw; Dec 16th 2008 at 2:36 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I've won £2 million will it be enough?

what ever amount you have you will always exceed your spending.
The only time you do, taking the £10mill lady as an example, is when you stop competing with the next person and just live comfortably within your means.
Then your rich.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
The only time you do, taking the £10mill lady as an example, is when you stop competing with the next person and just live comfortably within your means.
Then your rich.
Of course in many ways you're right - health, family, happiness, living within means, & so on; however (a) the £10mil lady was actually quite amused by her situation; very happy with her lot, happy to still be working, amused that she should still 'feel' poor despite her bank balance, (b) would someone earning say £30K & winning £250,000 on the lottery truly completely change their life? For the rest of their life? Would it actually amount to any more than paying off mortgage, changing car & setting up some kind of relatively modest pension? I for one have always thought it would be wonderful to be able to give a huge chunk to charity (not that I've got one to give away, you understand). But I'd have to win a lot to justify giving away a lot......

Didn't understand your first para, btw!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

I meant that one always lives above one's means.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:24 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Then your rich.
Well said