British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   IDP when hiring Car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/idp-when-hiring-car-941049/)

Flyingbanana Oct 11th 2021 12:30 pm

IDP when hiring Car

All , i am in the process of booking a hire car at Alicante airport for December visit to Spain & looking at small print of a couple of companies & it looks like they require you to have an IDP-International Driving Permit even though it currently states on UK gov page & Royal Post Office page that you do not need one for Spain if there for under 6 months. I did contact one hire company 'OK rent a car' on Twitter & they definitely confirmed i need to bring an IDP.
I have asked them what would be the outcome if i didn't have one & cannot help thinking they would allow me to drive away with the car but only after paying another fee on top of the rental price but that is my conspiracy head talking

a

Joppa Oct 11th 2021 12:54 pm

Re: IDP when hiring Car

Originally Posted by Flyingbanana (Post 13060693)
All , i am in the process of booking a hire car at Alicante airport for December visit to Spain & looking at small print of a couple of companies & it looks like they require you to have an IDP-International Driving Permit even though it currently states on UK gov page & Royal Post Office page that you do not need one for Spain if there for under 6 months. I did contact one hire company 'OK rent a car' on Twitter & they definitely confirmed i need to bring an IDP.
I have asked them what would be the outcome if i didn't have one & cannot help thinking they would allow me to drive away with the car but only after paying another fee on top of the rental price but that is my conspiracy head talking.

I have heard similar stories with less-than-reputable hire companies at Malaga Airport. If you don't have IDP, you have to take their top-up insurance which doubles the cost.

Loafing Along Oct 11th 2021 1:16 pm

They cost £5.50 at the Post Office, why not just get one and have it available even if it is not really necessary ?

Listen Very Carefully Oct 11th 2021 2:15 pm

An IDP is basically a translation of your current DL and as lLoafing Along says for a few quid you forestall any problems

Flyingbanana Oct 11th 2021 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 13060703)
I have heard similar stories with less-than-reputable hire companies at Malaga Airport. If you don't have IDP, you have to take their top-up insurance which doubles the cost.

I thought as much Joppa. There seems no reason for them to require the IDP other than the hoping customers do not read the small print & thn as you say, they can bump up the price. So tempted to play along the scenario of not having one & then after the demand for more money, just miraculously mine appears !!! Or just wait for the arguments from other customers that have not read T's & C's

Joppa Oct 11th 2021 2:45 pm

Those disreputable hire companies lure people in with low prices, only to find other ways to make a profit. Requiring a document which isn't needed is one, acceptance of only credit card and only in the name of the main hirer is another. Or telling scare stories of how you may be 1000s of euro in the red if you don't take their top-up insurance, or finding an existing damage and charging extortionate amount for repair. A handful of reputable firms don't have to do any of this, as they quote a price with adequate profit margin.

Flyingbanana Oct 12th 2021 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 13060709)
They cost £5.50 at the Post Office, why not just get one and have it available even if it is not really necessary ?

Thats exactly what im going to do. I don't leave anything to chance

frigilianafreddy Oct 15th 2021 10:13 am

I read a review of Delpaso who would only let you hire without an IDP if you paid for their rip off insurance. When questioned if necessary they said read the small print - IDP required.

No buy insurance, no have IDP, its a bus back to the airport pal.

Buy insurance, no IDP required.

Maybe untrue, but it sounds more than likely!

UKMS Oct 17th 2021 5:15 am

My experience of car hire companies operating sharp practice is also usually reflected in the quality and maintenance of the cars ! ...... generally you pay for what you get ..... within reason I always stick with the larger reputable companies, they are generally (not always) immune from sharp practice. I recently hired from Avis and no mention of IDP.

Mark604 Oct 17th 2021 7:06 am

At one time when renting a car with a UK licence you had to provide a print out of a special number from the DVLA - or something like that. Is that bothered with any more?

UKMS Oct 17th 2021 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 13062545)
At one time when renting a car with a UK licence you had to provide a print out of a special number from the DVLA - or something like that. Is that bothered with any more?

Not been asked for it …… I’ve hired 3 times from Avis recently if you register with Avis Prefered service (which is free) they hold all your card and licence details and you don’t show anything on pick up.

Joppa Oct 17th 2021 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 13062545)

Usually only when hiring in UK. Abroad, car hire companies aren't too bothered about your driving record or points on your licence.

Owls Oct 17th 2021 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 13062609)
Usually only when hiring in UK. Abroad, car hire companies aren't too bothered about your driving record or points on your licence.

Just hired one from Hertz in UK, I had it the guy didnt want it. Think they have a link direct to DVLA but not certain

Joppa Oct 18th 2021 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Owls (Post 13062735)
Just hired one from Hertz in UK, I had it the guy didnt want it. Think they have a link direct to DVLA but not certain

Everyone has that, you just need your NI number, plus driving licence number and postcode to access your licence information, points etc.