Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ID for card purchases

ID for card purchases

Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: ID for card purchases

Originally Posted by fawinds
I am sorry you waisted your money. That ID card was a good solution for expats to prove their identity without carrying a passport, at least within the EU.

I can't apply for one. THe only foreing nationals who will continue to use ID cards are no EU/EEA citizens and they will be issued a different ID card:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/i/z5/illo/nw/...onal_front.JPG

This one is the same issued in Spain also for non EU/EEA nationals.

By the way, keep your card. Some day it will be a valuable souvenir, like those WW2 cardboard ID cards on sale on ebay. 15,000 can be considered a "limited edition".
I think it s the green ones that stay for non EU/EEA nationals. I am going to keep my card for as long as it is possible. It is still valid until the Law changes and how long after that before the info filters down to Mercadona in Aymonte!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ID for card purchases

Originally Posted by jo-ann
No way, have it stolen and then have to pay the exorbitant price to get another - no chance, it is to valuable to carry around everyday. I have lived here for 7 years now and have never ever been asked for a passport for my legal ID. My spanish driving licence has always been sufficient, perhaps things are more sensible in my area.
So you are not on the padron and don`t have residencia or health cover and never been to a hospital or got a mobile phone ?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
So you are not on the padron and don`t have residencia or health cover and never been to a hospital or got a mobile phone ?
Yes I am on the padron, I do have residencia(which is utterly useless and meaningless now) and I am in the health system and I have a mobile phone but I repeat I do not carry a passport around with me on a daily basis as it is not necessary and I do not want the problems of it being stolen, if on the rare occasions that I need to have it with me then I will take it with me solely for the benefit of the action required at that point in time.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

fawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nice

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I think it s the green ones that stay for non EU/EEA nationals. I am going to keep my card for as long as it is possible. It is still valid until the Law changes and how long after that before the info filters down to Mercadona in Aymonte!
The green one was for EU/EEA ctitizens and has been scrapped too: http://www.ips.gov.uk/cps/rde/xchg/i...hs.xsl/968.htm

The only one remaining is the biometric residence permit for non-eu/eea citizens: http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...documents.html

I don't think you will have any problem at all at mercadona even when id cards have been officially scrapped, unless they check out databases like this, which in my opinion is very unlikely: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/prado...ml?&cmsid=1399
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No way, have it stolen and then have to pay the exorbitant price to get another - no chance, it is to valuable to carry around everyday. I have lived here for 7 years now and have never ever been asked for a passport for my legal ID. My spanish driving licence has always been sufficient, perhaps things are more sensible in my area.
Yes I am on the padron, I do have residencia(which is utterly useless and meaningless now) and I am in the health system and I have a mobile phone but I repeat I do not carry a passport around with me on a daily basis as it is not necessary and I do not want the problems of it being stolen, if on the rare occasions that I need to have it with me then I will take it with me solely for the benefit of the action required at that point in time.
But you said you had never been asked for a passport as ID.
You always need one for buying a mobile and all of the others things I mentioned.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
But you said you had never been asked for a passport as ID.
You always need one for buying a mobile and all of the others things I mentioned.
I said that I had never been ASKED for my passport not that I don't take it with me on the rare occasions that I know that it will be needed, don't often buy a mobile or a new car!!!! Have never needed it in the medical centre any petrol station, or any shop. Enough said I think
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I dont know why people make such a big fuss about having their passport with them.

Women´s handbags are used to carry their mobile phone, purse, SIP and credit cards and car/house keys so why not a thin little passport ?and for silly people who say they will wear out, buy a holder/cover.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:50 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I dont know why people make such a big fuss about having their passport with them.

Women´s handbags are used to carry their mobile phone, purse, SIP and credit cards and car/house keys so why not a thin little passport ?and for silly people who say they will wear out, buy a holder/cover.
because it's a pain & very expensive to replace if it goes missing!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

My phone and camera together cost less than my passport.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

What about men?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Veleta
What about men?

Their bitches?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:59 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a man and for the last four months, unless on formal occasions, I've gone out in shorts, top and light sandals. I use my available pockets for money and the odd piece of paper, like a bill. In the winter months I wear light trousers, a top and light shoes, unless on formal occasions, but still only carry money and the odd papers. Of course my passport is going to wear out if I walk around with it on a daily basis, and there's a high chance of losing it. And who's going to ask me for my passport?

And no, I'm not going to carry a handbag just for my passport. Now that would be silly.

(I've considered a pony tail though, a few tattoos, and ear rings; if I had those a handbag might be appropriate too).
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:24 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm a man and for the last four months, unless on formal occasions, I've gone out in shorts, top and light sandals. I use my available pockets for money and the odd piece of paper, like a bill. In the winter months I wear light trousers, a top and light shoes, unless on formal occasions, but still only carry money and the odd papers. Of course my passport is going to wear out if I walk around with it on a daily basis, and there's a high chance of losing it. And who's going to ask me for my passport?

And no, I'm not going to carry a handbag just for my passport. Now that would be silly.

(I've considered a pony tail though, a few tattoos, and ear rings; if I had those a handbag might be appropriate too).

You could always get a mariconera...........
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:27 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
You could always get a mariconera...........
I was in the biggest Chinese shop I have ever seen yesterday, it was about the size of Camp Nou, but that was about the only thing they didn't sell. I bought ear phones, a USB hub, light bulbs that last for ever, garden shears, a frying pan etc and got change out of 20 Euros.

There's a smaller Chinese shop fifty yards away and most of the other units are up for sale. They can't compete on prices and choice. A Spanish fereteria on the other side of the road has had a sale on for the past two years, and their stuff still costs about four times as much. Maybe my frying pan will wear out quicker than the ones in the fereteria, but I can buy four of them from the Chinese and they look the same.

They do all look the same, apart from the young guy at the check-out, who has dyed his hair blond.