Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Icons of England. In Spain?

Icons of England. In Spain?

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Icons of England. In Spain?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Or Spanish people that have travelled.

Btw, I have zero respect for Bill Bryson, the guy is an idiot and the most dangerous of all species - both ignorant AND arrogant.
Ah, I bet he can only dream of being as clever and modest as you.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
One of his reasons was that English has a word for everything and even a widely spoken language such as Spanish, doesnt have a word for "stop"
In Yugoslavia they speak five languages. In not one of them does the [English] word stop exist, yet every stop sign in the country says just that.

Last edited by agoreira; Aug 3rd 2010 at 12:35 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:31 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I am confused. Are you saying that Brits living in UK can identify Brit icons but Spanish living in Spain can not?

No, I am saying for me that an iconic thing needs to be something clearly recognisable by people outside that country as summoning up that country.

Almost everyone living in Spain knws what the figure with the guitar standing by the roadside is. The question is, do people living in other countries see it and know where it's from and what it is?

A Brit or a Spaniard can identify an icon in either country, but to me only if BOTH identify it is it truly iconic.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

MandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really niceMandyJV is just really nice

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Bill Bryson has a book called Icons of England, in which he looks at typical English icons, such as pillar boxes, canal boats, pub signs etc

http://www.cpre.org.uk/support/shop/icons-of-england

I'm trying to think of Spanish icons. The ONCE seller, the newspaper kiosk, perhaps the serviette box! Any more you can think of?
The Osborne Bull - well in this part of Spain anyway