British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Icing sugar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/icing-sugar-695551/)

Alectryon Dec 2nd 2010 1:51 pm

Icing sugar

Does anyone know if icing sugar exists in Spain? I've tried my local baker, Corte Ingles, Mercadona and Carrefour. I'm looked at in amazement. If it does - what is it called? Thanks.

snikpoh Dec 2nd 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Icing sugar

Originally Posted by Alectryon (Post 9016976)
Does anyone know if icing sugar exists in Spain? I've tried my local baker, Corte Ingles, Mercadona and Carrefour. I'm looked at in amazement. If it does - what is it called? Thanks.

Yes it does. We buy ours from MuckyDonna but it's cheaper at Icelands.

I'll take a look and find what it's called for next time I'm on-line.

Alectryon Dec 2nd 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks very much - I'm an eight-hour round trip from Iceland. Is MuckyDonna what you call Mercadona - sorry for my ignorance.

snikpoh Dec 2nd 2010 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alectryon (Post 9017034)
Thanks very much - I'm an eight-hour round trip from Iceland. Is MuckyDonna what you call Mercadona - sorry for my ignorance.

Yes, sorry, just my sense of humour (or lack of it).

The icing comes in a tube shaped container rather than a square box. Still not sure what it's called but they definitely sell it.

big wheels Dec 2nd 2010 7:09 pm

Azucar glaseado. I think it's called.

Jur Dec 2nd 2010 8:08 pm

Close, it´s called Azúcar Glacé

olivia Dec 2nd 2010 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 9017729)
Close, it´s called Azúcar Glacé

Is it pure powdered sugar?

battlezone123 Dec 2nd 2010 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by olivia (Post 9017778)

If you need the icing sugar to make Royal Icing then it is rubbish. It is OK for ordinary icing though.

Jur Dec 3rd 2010 9:53 am

Originally Posted by olivia (Post 9017778)

All info here: http://www.aeasa.com/comercial/html/tipos_azucar.htm

Alectryon Dec 3rd 2010 10:08 am

Thanks everyone.

Casa Santo Estevo Dec 3rd 2010 7:44 pm

Make your own it is easy.

bil Dec 3rd 2010 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 9019612)
Make your own it is easy.

Well, we used to do that but you end up with a mix of castor and icing to be honest.

Then again maybe my mixer was crap. I used to observe that the longer you left it, the closer it would get, but there was always a % left of castor size grains.

battlezone123 Dec 3rd 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9019694)
Well, we used to do that but you end up with a mix of castor and icing to be honest.

Then again maybe my mixer was crap. I used to observe that the longer you left it, the closer it would get, but there was always a % left of castor size grains.

This is true if your grinder/mixer was rubbish. You would need a decent grinder - and if you are doing Royal Icing then it needs to be 100% fine icing sugar.

bil Dec 4th 2010 8:15 am

Originally Posted by battlezone123 (Post 9019795)
This is true if your grinder/mixer was rubbish. You would need a decent grinder - and if you are doing Royal Icing then it needs to be 100% fine icing sugar.

So what's the difference between a blender that will turn granulated into pure icing sugar??

Part of the problem seemed to me that as the process progressed, the finer grains were more prone to packing, the bane of all systems that try and keep powder fluid.

Alectryon Dec 10th 2010 2:18 pm

I found it in Mercadona this morning - thank you. Right, orange pastry with stewed apple, mangoes and mincemeat Christmas tart here we come.