Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IBI--When you really want to pay your tax!!

IBI--When you really want to pay your tax!!

Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default IBI--When you really want to pay your tax!!

I just cannot seem to make any headway in paying my tax obligations! We bought in Dec 96, left all our tax affairs to the solicitor to deal with and so far they have only done the wealth/income tax.

Then we receive a letter from them saying as soon as we are notified of our IBI, forward them the documents so they can arrange payments Now I understood that all our paperwork went to their fiscal office and was dealt with. It seems that is not the case. Our local town hall don't seem to show any interest in helping us and neither does the solicitor, save to iterate that as soon as we get the paperwork forward it on etc etc.

Just how do I find out about our IBI? bear in mind this is Murcia region, local town hall based in Abanilla, so is not dealt with as easily as using the online SUMA tool available in the Valencia region.

Any help at this point is greatfully received, the last thing I want is to be getting fined for non compliance, when I am trying my best to pay up!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:16 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IBI--When you really want to pay your tax!!

Hi Bri & Katee,

I found this for you http://www.murcia.es/DocumentosPDF/G...uyente2008.pdf

It talks about Murcia region IBI tax obligations 2008. Don't know if it's of any help, but it's got some info on it.

This is the website I pinched it from:

http://www.murcia.es/PagoImpuestos/index_.asp

Go all the way to the bottom of the page and have a read.

Martha
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Martha, I have searched all over the net and come up with nothing, you are a Godsend!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
I just cannot seem to make any headway in paying my tax obligations! We bought in Dec 96, left all our tax affairs to the solicitor to deal with and so far they have only done the wealth/income tax.

<snip> Our local town hall don't seem to show any interest in helping us and neither does the solicitor, save to iterate that as soon as we get the paperwork forward it on etc etc.
If your solicitor is handling the payment of your property taxes like IBI etc. and he seems not to be helping you then get rid of him... honestly, it could cost you more in the long run just dragging along. There are fines attached to many payments in Spain if not paid within a specific date and IBI is one of these, it is not a lot but it is worth having paid when it is due.

Might help to use a gestor rather than a solicitor for this stuff if you do not live here, in 28 years in this country I have yet to find a solicitor that does his job and has not actually cost me money.

If you are here or make regular visits to you property then you can pop down to the town hall and pay your basura (rubbish), IBI (rates) and any other payments from the town hall, in fact you might even be able to set this up as a direct debit depending on your town hall. Electric and water can be set up as a direct debit so all that probably just leaves your tax declaration which the gestor can take care of and probably for a lot less than a solicitor.

If you know any of your neighbours then ask them who they use for looking after their taxes and if they are happy with them.

Good luck
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

water and electricity DD was set up by the solicitor, weatlh tax is paid, the only outstanding thing is the IBI oh and basura as you have mentioned.

Problem seems to be that the town hall aren't in a rush to tell us how much the IBI is and the solicitor is in no rush to chase them about it!

We are out again in May having just returned, will have to give it another go then if it doesn't get sorted
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Problem seems to be that the town hall aren't in a rush to tell us how much the IBI is and the solicitor is in no rush to chase them about it!
Is it a new property? because not interested and not being able to pay the IBI are different things!

I know Mijas town hall have been taking about 3 to 4 years to get the IBI sorted on new properties.

I called on them several times to pay the IBI on a new apartment, they just kept telling me to come back in another year or two. I asked what happens when they get on the ball and send out all the missing years IBI to be paid in one hit to which they replied... no problem, we will give people time to pay. Well the IBI finally came along, wife went down and paid 2 years, they said that is all that they expect now. Within 1 month a note was sent through the apartment door to say the 3rd years IBI was due and it had to be paid within 30 days. OK, it didn't break us having to pay this but it would be a lot of money for many families, nearly 500 euros for the 3 years together.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Econ that may be the reason!

It was finished in May 2006 and we were the first owners after viewing in Sept of that year and then finally signing contracts in December of 2006.

Never gave a thought to the fact it may still be getting sorted out with it being a new build, will have to talk to the neighbour next time we are out, he's a brit and occupies the other end of the 27000 sq mtr plot