Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Iberdola- overestimated electricity bill

Iberdola- overestimated electricity bill

Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:55 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Iberdola- overestimated electricity bill

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Why are the white villiages white?
How many "white villages" have their terracotta roof tiles painted white? Such a thing would be hideous.

Last edited by bokeh; Jul 5th 2008 at 12:57 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:24 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Flat roofs are what I had in mind.

A pitched roof can have void insulation which reduces the need for white colouring. Chosing a pale tile when building wouldn't hurt.

The whole idea of all this is to find methods of cooling a house in the here and now, rather than waiting the decades needed for a row of 40 foot trees to grow, all without adding to the electricity bill.

I've made a few suggestions, so why don't you add to them instead of just sniping?

Any loss of heat in the winter is worth the cooling in summer, especially as even a DIY solar system will give quite a lot of heat in winter.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:35 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bil
quite a lot of heat in winter.
I just use the prunings from my trees to keep me warm in the winter. Burn them in a wood stove.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:13 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.

Any other ideas on cooling in the Summer?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Sorry to hi jack the thread - but I thought I'd post the final result of my little problem with Iberdrola. I finally managed to get through on their "customer careline" and, after about a week, they refunded the excess charge.

Incidentally I initially asked my bank to refund the direct debit and they advised strongly against it - they said Iberdrola would disconnect me -and to stick to trying the customer helpline . When I finally got through to Iberdrola I must say they were very helpful.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:35 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil;
Me too.
Any other ideas on cooling in the Summer?
If you're interested in this sort of thing visit the arcosanti.org website.
Arcosanti, if you don't know of it, is in the Arizona desert and they use all sorts of architectural etc techniques for cooling and heating. eg the reverse chimney "garment" in the cafe
http://www.arcosanti.org/images/WWWP...t.html?020103c
and apse shaped buildings. Have a root around on the site using their search facility.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:40 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Trees, shadow lengths, white paint, and people always being right....

Not a hijacking at all is it?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:49 am
bil
Banned

The expert speaks!

Petew, glad you finally sorted that out. Getting money back can all too often be like pulling teeth.